Black Kids Called Monkeys, Obama Delegate Quits

Miller

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:33 am
Suburban Obama delegate quits over 'divisive' remark
CARPENTERSVILLE | Says when she called black kids 'monkeys,' she was asking them to get out of tree

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter/[email protected]

Moving to nip in the bud some potential bad press, White House hopeful Barack Obama's campaign persuaded a delegate to step down after she was ticketed for calling her neighbor's African-American children "monkeys."

Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski, a Carpentersville village trustee, was elected as an Obama delegate to the Democratic National Convention. She sports an Obama sign in her front yard.

Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski admitted she used the word "monkeys," but said she did not intend racism. Barack Obama's campaign has persuaded the delegate to step down.

On Saturday, two neighbor children were playing in the tree next-door to her house.

Ramirez-Sliwinski "came outside and told the children to quit playing in the tree like monkeys. The tree was not on Ramirez-Sliwinski's property," Carpentersville Police Commander Michael Kilbourne said.

Ramirez-Sliwinski admitted she used the word "monkeys," but said she did not intend racism. She said she was only trying to protect them from falling out of the tree.

"Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski said she saw the kids playing in the tree and didn't want them falling out of the tree and getting hurt. She said she calls her own grandchildren 'monkeys,' " Kilbourne said. The mother of one of the children did not see it that way, noting she and Ramirez-Sliwinski have clashed before.

"She felt it was racist because of the fact the children were African-American," Kilbourne said.

Told of the incident Monday by the Sun-Times, Obama's campaign called Ramirez-Sliwinski and persuaded her to step aside as a delegate because the campaign felt her remarks were "divisive and unacceptable."

"Given the incident, she is stepping down as a delegate and will be replaced," said campaign spokesman Ben Labolt.

Ramirez-Sliwinski did not return messages seeking comment Monday. She told the Daily Herald she meant no racism with her comment but that "after this incident, I will not run again" for trustee.

The only Hispanic on the board, Ramirez-Sliwinski has been a strong voice for Carpentersville's 40 percent Hispanic population. She and Village President Bill Sarto opposed an English-only proposition and an ordinance to crack down on illegal immigrants.

Opposition leader Judy Sigwalt said, "We are elected officials. We are in a position where people look to us for leadership and professionalism. We have to be diplomatic at all times."

"Frankly, I don't see a law that was broken here," Sarto said. "I think this entire thing has been blown out of proportion. She's a good neighor. She went over to caution the children to be careful not to fall out of a tree.

She has never indicated to me any prejudice whatsoever. We have a trustee who has been convicted on four counts of domestic battery and refuses to resign from the board. He beat his wife with a baseball bat. This seems far less egregious to me."

Ramirez-Sliwinski's $75 ticket was for "disorderly conduct," which Kilbourne defined as, "when a person does something that alarms or disturbs another."

SOURCE: Chicago Sun-Times
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 15,440 • Replies: 178
Topic Closed
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:01 am
hilarious....madcap.....surreal...
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:09 am
Be glad you don't live in Illinois... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

squinney

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:14 am
Ridiculous!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:20 am
There is a club in Durham that is African American owned and operated and the large majority of their clientele is African American.

I dj and do a karaoke show there. It's a really nice bar and I enjoy working there but last night a young black woman who had a lot to drink started calling me Opie from the bar... hollering it out at every opportunity and wondering what Opie was doing there.

Since no one came to my defense, apologized to me or asked the girl to leave because of her blatant show of racial divisiveness.... I must only conclude that all black people are secret racists no matter how they present themselves. they showed their true colors. Words hurt you know.

Or, I just thought to myself "drunken bitch... there's one in every crowd", finished my show, collected my money had a drink after hours with the staff and came home like a goddam adult.

Jesus Christ everyone... grow the f*ck up.
0 Replies

Chai

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:21 am
I got called a monkey when I was a child, and I'm white. Confused

My brothers used to sing to me...happy birthday to you.....you look like a monkey and you act like one too.

In fact, just 2 days ago, I was talking to a co-worker who does a lot of rock climbing.

He had just gotten back from Peru, where he climbed the highest monutain there.

I said to him "Wow, you mom must have thought you were a a monkey when you were a kid."

He's white also.

Edit:
As a matter of fact, not too long ago, Snood posted a really cute photo of him and his sis with their arms thrown around each other, when they were little kids.

He himself said something like they were grinning like monkeys.
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:26 am
Quote:
... "disorderly conduct," ... defined as, "when a person does something that alarms or disturbs another."

Very loose definition...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:36 am
This just in...

The AP reports that, in the immediate wake of one online forum poster, alias "Miller," creating her 113th thread featuring a copied and pasted negative article about presidential hopeful Barack Obama, his rival, Hillary Clinton, has seen an unprecedented boost in support in Pennsylvania, where only yesterday polls should her lead slipping there.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:37 am
it's like NCAA basketball... a real nail biter...
0 Replies

Chai

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:41 am
Garg....you cheeky monkey you
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:54 am
Silly, silly - I call my kids monkeys all the time. As a matter of fact, I call most kids monkeys - all kids act like monkeys bottom line. And it is a cute term.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:59 am
you're voting for McCain aren't you Linkat?
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:02 am
Is this the type of shyte we get to look forward to for the next 4.5 years (or 8.5)?
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:12 am
Whose fault is it, though?

Obama supporter says the monkey thing. Obama campaign does nothing. Do you really think it would end there, or would Hillary's campaign, Hillary supporters, and Republicans all jump on it?

Headlines: "Hillary to Obama: Denounce and Repudiate your Superdelegate's Actions Now!"

Fox News: "Obama's Refusal to do Anything About 'Monkey' Superdel is Hypocritical"

Gloria Steinem: 'Imagine if a Hillary superdelegate had called some neighbor boys 'sissies'! There would be widespread outrage! But the media is giving Obama a pass on this 'monkey' business, as usual..."
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:12 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
you're voting for McCain aren't you Linkat?

Why, because he's a monkey?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:14 am
:wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:14 am
sozobe wrote:
Whose fault is it, though?

Obama supporter says the monkey thing. Obama campaign does nothing. Do you really think it would end there, or would Hillary's campaign, Hillary supporters, and Republicans all jump on it?

Headlines: "Hillary to Obama: Denounce and Repudiate your Superdelegate's Actions Now!"

Fox News: "Obama's Refusal to do Anything About 'Monkey' Superdel is Hypocritical"

Gloria Steinem: 'Imagine if a Hillary superdelegate had called some neighbor boys 'sissies'! There would be widespread outrage! But the media is giving Obama a pass on this 'monkey' business, as usual..."

bullshit and you know it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:24 am
Really? Is that really so hard to believe?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:26 am
That has to be one of the most absurd stories I've read in a long time.
0 Replies

real life

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:35 am
The fact that one can be fined for something like this ought to alarm everyone.

The PC movement as embodied in the liberals of America is just frightening.

The comments of the neighbor who complained and cried racism also disturb me.

Can she also be ticketed for disorderly conduct for saying something that disturbs me greatly?
0 Replies