0
   

Black Kids Called Monkeys, Obama Delegate Quits

 
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:47 am
nimh wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
snood wrote:
real life wrote:
Is there one standard of permissible speech if you are black, and another if you are white?

Factor in that most hard rap is bought by teenage whites, then please continue leading Sherlock.

so are cds by RaHoWa. so what's yer point, dude?

That real life was framing the consumption of gangsta rap's offensive lyrics as a question about black people, when in reality it's mostly white kids who buy it.


Considering that African-Americans make up 10% of the US population, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that wjites buy more should it?

Who buys hip-hop?
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:04 am
McGentrix wrote:
nimh wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
snood wrote:
real life wrote:
Is there one standard of permissible speech if you are black, and another if you are white?

Factor in that most hard rap is bought by teenage whites, then please continue leading Sherlock.

so are cds by RaHoWa. so what's yer point, dude?

That real life was framing the consumption of gangsta rap's offensive lyrics as a question about black people, when in reality it's mostly white kids who buy it.


Considering that African-Americans make up 10% of the US population, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that wjites buy more should it?

Who buys hip-hop?


Exactly McG.

Of course the actual point which snood and nimh didn't want to address was that I was not discussing who buys it, but who produces it[/u].

Why is it OK for a black (rap 'artist') to use the N word , but not acceptable for anyone else?

It's a double standard. The H word applies.
0 Replies
 
kickycan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:08 am
Yes, it is a double standard. And it's about the most innocuous and least-threatening one on the planet. You'd better get a group of uptight white assh*les together to fight this great injustice, pronto, oh great champion of the stupid!
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:15 am
It's because of what the word represents. I am certainly not comfortable saying "the N word", but I see no harm in members of the black community saying it. They have taken ownership of it and made it not so threatening.

Imagine you are a black guy living in the south and 6 white guys come and say "Hey nigger, where ya going?" That's certainly a very threatening sutuation as opposed to a black guy in East St. Louis having 6 black guys come and say "Hey nigger, where ya going?"

It's a connotation that has many meanings and it's just not something us white folk should be using. How the folks in the black community use it is up to them.
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:18 am
Good post, McG.

I've seen a lot of black people say that the word should just not be used anymore, period, too toxic. But I get the ownership part of it, and agree with what you say there.
0 Replies
 
Bi-Polar Bear
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:20 am
it also depends, so I'm told by all my hip friends who are kind enough to keep this old bear in the loop.... that it depends on whether it's with an er or an a.
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:21 am
McGentrix wrote:
nimh wrote:
That real life was framing the consumption of gangsta rap's offensive lyrics as a question about black people, when in reality it's mostly white kids who buy it.

Considering that African-Americans make up 10% of the US population, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that wjites buy more

Right, exactly. Hence Snood's/my point.

And wholly agreed on your later post.
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:26 am
McGentrix wrote:

Cool article actually, that. Thanks.
0 Replies
 
southernpride
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:51 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
it also depends, so I'm told by all my hip friends who are kind enough to keep this old bear in the loop.... that it depends on whether it's with an er or an a.


ebonics 101. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
kickycan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 09:21 am
McGentrix wrote:
It's because of what the word represents. I am certainly not comfortable saying "the N word", but I see no harm in members of the black community saying it. They have taken ownership of it and made it not so threatening.

Imagine you are a black guy living in the south and 6 white guys come and say "Hey nigger, where ya going?" That's certainly a very threatening sutuation as opposed to a black guy in East St. Louis having 6 black guys come and say "Hey nigger, where ya going?"

It's a connotation that has many meanings and it's just not something us white folk should be using. How the folks in the black community use it is up to them.


Most of this makes sense, but it's not just black people that use it. It's a word that urban teens use all the time, whether they be black, white, hispanic, or some other designation. I regularly hear it on the subway or on the street here. Probably many suburban white kids use it too. I think it's just us old farts that really shouldn't be using it, because for us, the word is what you said it is. For a lot of younger people, the word is more accepted, I think, as a general term meaning something like "buddy," or "dude."

Just my two cents. Don't spend it all in one place.
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:03 am
nimh wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
frankly it says something to me about obama's campaign that they did not recognize these ideas and chose to instead tell the delegate to take a hike.


Maybe they did, but were just scared. There's such hysteria in the media about anything either candidate can be remotely associated with nowadays, I guess they just wanted to play it safe, even if that wasnt the fair thing to do.

hey nimh! gewunsch alles goot darbei (sic) Confused

that's a reasonable assessment. however shouldn't there be some sense of loyalty to the delegate? i mean that if she was a racist and alla that she would hardly be supporting obama, right ?


DontTreadOnMe wrote:
and where is his voice in all of this ??

sorry. that's not the kinda change i can believe in.

Ummm... we're talking about some kind of local delegates. There's literally hundreds of them in dozens of states. You seriously think it's Obama's job to personally attend to any local spat that involves any one of them?

not generally, but in this case it would have been a very visible representation of barak's thing about erasing the color boundries for one thing. and again, showing loyalty to his supporting delegate.


....This part sounds to me like you're just happy to find a stick to beat the dog with.

(The above animal-related metaphor implies no racial, ethnic, regional, gender or age-related insult... :wink: )
excuuusseee me ??? are you calling barak obama a dog???? you racist !!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

nope. though i lean more towards hillary, i don't have any particular bones to pick with obama. as i mentioned when i first started posting again, my problem is not with obama, but the rhetoric of some of his supporters.

in any case, since i'm registered libertarian, i was unable to vote for either one in the cali primary.
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:07 am
sozobe wrote:
Again, DID anyone tell her to take a hike?


hi soz!!!

this is from thew thread's original post by miller;

Quote:
Suburban Obama delegate quits over 'divisive' remark
CARPENTERSVILLE | Says when she called black kids 'monkeys,' she was asking them to get out of tree

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter/[email protected]

Moving to nip in the bud some potential bad press, White House hopeful Barack Obama's campaign persuaded a delegate to step down after she was ticketed for calling her neighbor's African-American children "monkeys."
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:11 am
Hiya DTOM!,

Quote:
this is from thew thread's original post by miller;


Yeah, but that seems to have been corrected since, is what I'm saying. Several reports indicating that there was a misunderstanding about whether she resigned or not, but that she wasn't pushed.
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:13 am
...or "persuaded," or anything.

Again, from the Chi Trib (but with a different emphasis):

Quote:
Board member changes her mind about resigning as a Democratic convention backer

By Ray Quintanilla and John McCormick | Tribune reporters
April 10, 2008


Carpentersville Trustee Linda Ramirez Sliwinski, who sparked a controversy by calling two children playing in an African-American neighbor's tree "monkeys," will remain a Democratic convention delegate backing U.S. Sen. Barack Obama for president, a turnabout from earlier in the week.

"Ms. Ramirez Sliwinski is an elected delegate and we respect her decision to represent the campaign at the convention," Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt said in a statement issued Wednesday.

"It is clear that the incident was a misunderstanding," he said.


Ramirez Sliwinski did not return phone calls seeking comment. But Carpentersville Village President Bill Sarto, a key ally on the Village Board, said she told him Wednesday that she had changed her mind about resigning as a delegate to this summer's Democratic National Convention.

"She reconsidered whether that incident warranted her giving up an elected seat," said Sarto, who is also an Obama supporter.

Ramirez Sliwinski has vowed to fight the ticket.

Ramirez Sliwinski, the village's sole Hispanic trustee, has said she did not mean to offend her neighbors.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:18 am
Actually, if you combine the two news reports it looks a bit like she was asked to step down and declined and her decision is being "respected".

It may be difficult to tease out the truth of all of it.
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:19 am
nimh wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
nimh wrote:
That real life was framing the consumption of gangsta rap's offensive lyrics as a question about black people, when in reality it's mostly white kids who buy it.

Considering that African-Americans make up 10% of the US population, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that wjites buy more

Right, exactly. Hence Snood's/my point.

And wholly agreed on your later post.


it's no accident that a lot of white kids and wannabes buy rap.

in 1993 i was in a conversation with a girl at mca who informed me that universal had decided to put "rock" on the back burner and concentrate on "urban" music.

i had similar discussions with other label people at the time.

and here ya thought it was all "won't get fooled again".

the listening public doesn't decide what's a hit. the labels decide. then they have the promo people tell the record store people (or itunes. whatever), and they tell the public what to like. more than a few times i saw records and cds come in stickered with "contains the hit single..." before the single was even released, much less " a hit".

rap and most current r&b albums are really really cheap to make compared to other genres. relatively low cash upfront, in most cases no tours to support. in other words, big profits.

and the industry is the "musicbusiness after all.
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:24 am
ehBeth wrote:
Actually, if you combine the two news reports it looks a bit like she was asked to step down and declined and her decision is being "respected".

It may be difficult to tease out the truth of all of it.


you mean a political entity is massaging reality??

GASP!!!! say it ain't so!!!

you could be right there beth
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:25 am
ehBeth wrote:

It may be difficult to tease out the truth of all of it.


Agreed.

I read a bunch of other news reports too, and it seems like the Obama campaign thought she said she was quitting but then it turned out that she either did say she was quitting and then changed her mind; or never said she was quitting and then clarified that no, she's not quitting.

At any rate, the end result is that she's an Obama delegate, and the Obama campaign is fine with that.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:30 am
"I respect your decision" is such an interesting phrase.

Cool
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:55 am
ehBeth wrote:
"I respect your decision" is such an interesting phrase.

Cool


hahahahahahaha!

yeah. at least where i live it translates as; " ya bastud. yer not doin' or thinkin' what i want but i'm gonna look real bad if i push it right now grrrrrrrr mumble, mumble". Laughing
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/16/2021 at 12:41:39