Foot Fusion - (Bunion/Rheumatoid/Lupus) - Plz someone know!

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:52 pm
Lordy.

I'd already read the description of what would be happening but that sure brings it home -- little metal rods sticking out of every single tootsie!

Can NOT be fun.

The flags are festive though.

Glad you're seeing the doctor tomorrow, both for hopeful improvement and for feedback on what should and shouldn't be happening.

While I know nuffink about this particular procedure, it certainly seems -- just in general terms of surgery and recovery -- that the worst is over. Sure hope so.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:54 pm
Thanku both - just got to try and distract myself - nightime is the worst!

Thanku for your thoughts - need to big and brave up a bit thats all. No worries. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 04:22 pm
Some damn fool said, "Pain is weakness leaving the body."

I don't believe that.

Vent, vent, vent--purge some of the agony.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 06:36 pm
12.30pm

CANNOT SIT STILL.

CANNOT LIE DOWN.

ALL MY JOINTS NOW SWELLING UP. HANDS, ELBOWS, KNEES... Rolling Eyes

GETTING JUST A TAD UPSET NOW....

GOING TO GET DOWNSTAIRS, GO OUTSIDE BECAUSE IT'S ABSOLUTELY FREEZING OUT THERE AND HOWL - 22Feb08 here - SEEMS AS GOOD A DAY AS ANY TO HOWL.

GONE!
0 Replies

mommakat

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:59 pm
pain
I am new to this site so bear with me if I don't do things right. Izzy, do you know anybody named Rashbrook?My father's family all came from England, settled in Canada. Anyway, on to pain. I have osteoarthritis and it is the pits. I have had to have both my knees replaced (at the same time), my left hip replaced and on Feb. 21st 2008 had the bones fused in my right foot. I was in a splint , then a cast and then a boot. All of that for six weeks with no weight bearing allowed at all. What an ordeal. My problem now is that my right leg and foot still swell a great deal. Has anyone had that problem and what should I do about it? I love your attitude Izzy, and I look forward to continuing on your journey with you if you don't mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:13 am
I don't get, Izzie, that you can't call someone, anyone, in your travail - but I'm from the US with another bunch of hazzerai..

Please hang in, we do care. Go to that doc's when it opens, please.
Go ahead and scream if you need to.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 06:51 am
ossobuco wrote:

Go ahead and scream if you need to.

Ho Ho Ho - did that fer sure last nite hun Smile - then settled in for an hour or so of music which made a huge difference - relaxed a little and coped with the pain. Smile Always makes a difference with a little help from my friends who keep me focused!

Off to the hospital in a couple of hours - hopefully I will get some answers as to why it's so painful. Maybe it's just that my pain threshold is pathetically low - but hey, it's my pain threshold and I own it! Laughing

I do feel a little better today thanku - think I slept for around 6 hours - that's massive for me (helped by a little pill - but whatever works right now).

Thanks for your thoughts. Smile You folks are just......... well, thanku Smile
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:11 am
Re: pain
mommakat wrote:
I am new to this site so bear with me if I don't do things right. Izzy, do you know anybody named Rashbrook?My father's family all came from England, settled in Canada. Anyway, on to pain. I have osteoarthritis and it is the pits. I have had to have both my knees replaced (at the same time), my left hip replaced and on Feb. 21st 2008 had the bones fused in my right foot. I was in a splint , then a cast and then a boot. All of that for six weeks with no weight bearing allowed at all. What an ordeal. My problem now is that my right leg and foot still swell a great deal. Has anyone had that problem and what should I do about it? I love your attitude Izzy, and I look forward to continuing on your journey with you if you don't mind.

Very pleased to meet you mommakat. Smile

First up - you can't do anything wrong here so don't worry k?

I feel for you with what you have had to go through too - mighty big surgery - guess that we just have to do the best we can to cope with what's sent our way! ((xox))

I'm afraid I can't help you with an answer as to why you would still have swelling - other than the disease doesn't go away - even when they cut bits out or fuse bits together. Those little white cells still gnaw away and don't play nice in my case - RA and SLE. I'm not too knowledgable on osteoarthritis - but I am sure there will be someone around who may be able to help you out more.

It's a pleasure to have you come on this thread and follow along and join on in. My journey will continue for a while.... but I know it's being made a lot easier by the advice and encouragement of the A2Kers - they will not judge and when a little collective "kick up to bahookie" is required - they know just when to do that to stop self-pity running riot.

So journey along mommakat....... and a very big welcome to A2K Smile Hope we can all be of some help to you.

(Sorry- don't know any Rashbrooks)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:17 am
Izzie--

Hang on.

What did they say at the hospital about the swelling?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:22 am
Hi Noddy

Leaving for the hospital shortly. Can't wait to have everything cut off - even tho they'll replaster straight away.....

OK - gotta wheelspin outta here. Will post as soon as I get back - hopefully all will be fine and the bones won't have moved since my little trip!

OK - Mom is telling me to get of my laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarrassed Oh okay then! Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:42 am
Hope you get some relief soon, Izzie.

mammakat -- welcome to A2K. My MIL had knee replacement surgery last year (both knees) and had significant recurrent swelling in one leg/ankle. I recall at the time that it was driving her mad but she hasn't mentioned it recently. She's in the medical biz and wouldn't settle for a non-answer from her docs. I'll give her a call later today and see if it's something that eventually passed or if she simply learned to live with it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:01 pm
Izzie--

Listen to your mother--at least until you can outrun your mother. Please tell her from me that you are not too old to spank.

I hope you had a chance to scratch softly all the tender, twinging flesh that was covered with the plaster. Assure your feet that they will see the sunshine come spring.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:52 pm
Hello Hello

I'm back Exclamation One hour to get there - UGH, one hour in there - UGH, one hour back - UGH.

Needed to rest - now back with you all.

Well - good news is - no damage apparent from when I hit the wires on my wee stumble Smile It was horribly painful with the stitch pulling etc - mainly because I am such a complete whus when it comes to pain. The surgeon says everything looks as tho it is healing beautifully (did have a quick scratch! Smile ) - no infection and circulation looks good. Pink toes! (Tell me about it - burning red ones at nite!!!!!!!!!!) Has no idea why the feet are getting so hot - and can't really advise me what to do about it. He is keeping me on the horse pills - Gabapentin! Usually you shouldn't be on them for any length of time - but as my feet are still spasming (is that a word Exclamation ) he wants me to continue them. Then I need to be weaned off them. Pain killers and rest up - doctor's orders.

Have got to go back in 3 weeks for x-rays and then 6 weeks post-op the wires will be pulled under a general anaesthetic! Thank goodness for that. Just put me to sleep and all will be coco Laughing

So, all in all - on the footsy bit - surgeon is happy - I should stop tap dancing all nite and maybe the feet will be cooler!!!!!

The rest of my joints - well, still swollen - hips giving me a problem tonight - but I think I am so used to going at a million miles per hour - all this lying around is a bit foreign to me. My RA & Lupus flares up periodically - and with this sort of surgery - plus the other usual stuff flying around - think it's probably time for the joints to start playing up.

Oh well, nevermind - my spirits are certainly higher than before - so that's a good thing. A good howl in the lunar variety and the teardrop variety did me some good methinks. Had a big cry with Black Tulip - love her - she said I could cry for both of us - so I did. Haven't cried properly in a while - needed to let go of some stuff.

Big Boy is causing a few ripples - won't go into that right now - steel trap and all that - need to kick that one back for the moment before I can deal with it.

So - happy to be back here and doing my usual ramble. Thanku all for listening.

(Oh - Momma Izzie - she would spank me if she could. Bless her. Comes over for an hour each day and gets me a platter of food - makes sure everything is in place when I need it. Couldn't do without her. Just can't discuss things with her. She's started making lists of things that will need to be done for the house move - so, am letting her get on with that - she's very practical Exclamation )
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 03:58 pm
Izzie,
I am so happy to hear everything went OK at the doctor's. Take care of yourself and just keep venting that really helps a lot. Feel so bad for your friend that lost her husband. She is in the grieving process that is something that can't be rushed. Do you have any siblings?
What is the time difference in England and Chicago Il. I would love to visit England sometime. What is the weather today?l
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:09 pm
Hey Jodie

Good to see you - hoping all is well with you and yours hunni.

My friend is a very remarkable lady and though she is unable to see clearly - an unwritten future can be a scary place. However, there are a lot of people who care about her and we will try and help her through her grieving. Her world is tormented right now - but we do manage to laugh and talk rubbish - sometimes we have to just do "normality" in a seemingly abnormal existence. She will make it - she has an unknown strength which will help her. Her kids will get her through too. They are amazing little folk who I just adore. They will be her greatest strength.

I do have a sibling - an older brother! I also have my best friend, Charlie, who is my soulmate-sister and her husband has been my "brother" since we were 13 years old. Though we live 5 hours apart - she shares my everyday with me - even if we don't actually talk to one another on a daily basis. She understands "me" as I do her - she is by my side always. My friends - especially my "girlies"- true friends are like family - they mean the world to me...and are my world. I am very lucky to have the best friends. Sometimes tho - they are too close and feel too much of my emotion - we all get mixed up and it makes it tough for them because they care so much - if you see what I mean. However, they are always there when I "cry-out" and never falter should I ever need them - I never have to ask - they are just ... there.

I think our time difference is 6 hours. Which makes it 9pm your time and way past my bedtime. Laughing The weather was very grey today - the moors are still mysterious and beautiful with the mist down - but it was that horrible cold wet feeling of a day. Hopefully the sun will rise soon and shine brightly. If not, it will soon no doubt. If ever you visit the UK - well, in the South West at Chez Izzie the kettle is always on. Visitors are welcome anytime, anymonth, anyyear.

I visited the Windy City in '88 whilst I was backpacking. Have some fantastic photos of my visit and many happy memories. Its a very lovely place - tho I know, very chilly at times. Real chilly, not UK chilly - we don't get that sort of cold very often.

K - well - must go to bed.

Wishing everyone a pleasant morning / afternoon / evening.

S'long for now Smile
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 01:53 am
Good morning Izzie,

just want to let you know I am still reading along. Take care!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 06:18 am
Izzie--

Glad the doctor's report was cheerful--and that you're letting your mother sooth her soul with list making. Major moves take a lot of lists.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:32 am
urs53 wrote:
Good morning Izzie,

just want to let you know I am still reading along. Take care!

Oh urs53 - how are you? How was your first week back at work? Are you horribly tired or did you manage? Hope you are doing good Smile
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:37 am
Horribly tired describes it very well.... I can't believe I can be this tired. And there is some pain. Sitting is really a lot of work if you think about it. But I am doing good! We have flexible work times and I just go home when I've had enough. My bosses and colleagues are very understanding and glad that I am there for a couple of hours.

And I am going out for dinner tonight. Have to get used to people!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:44 am
Oh urs - I completely sympathise. You will be tired for a few months - sometimes the simplest things will drain your energy levels - kinda comes in waves too. Sad The getting used to people - yep - out of the "comfort bubble" of being at home. Facing the world - even having conversations with colleagues expends energy. I'm glad for you that they are an understanding bunch.

Try not to take on too much hun. Heal.... then deal!

(oh just listen to me a? The expression - practice what you preach springs to mind Laughing )

Seriously tho - you take care of yourself and only do what you can. Rest when you can Smile
0 Replies