Foot Fusion - (Bunion/Rheumatoid/Lupus) - Plz someone know!

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 02:51 pm
Izzie--

Will your surgery eventually decrease the pain?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 03:40 pm
Hi Noddy

I certainly hope so. My foot is so deformed (ugh - dislike that word) and the bones which are all over the place - in the wrong places - are causing soft tissue damage. Once the foot is fused in place there will be no movement of the bones at all Sad

...therefore, the pain should decrease. My rheumatoid is active right now and have a lot of rheumatoid nodules on my achilles's and under the heels and toes. Nothing they can do about them really - just keep taking the immuno-supressants and see if the little white blood cells will quieten down.

Rheumatoid has remission periods so......fingers crossed. One day I can be fine - the next I can't move - very unpredictable. I do take many painkillers and hopefully, with my feet, I will be in less pain.

Unfortunately - my whole body is potentially "cranky". Bits and pieces go out all the time - that is the hardest thing really. Not knowing which bit of me is going to sieze up. Hands are pretty good at the moment - good thing really - what would I do if I didn't have them for my laptop Smile Have had periods where I have been unable to move my arms and flares going on with the connective tissue. Should be used to it by now - was dx in 89 after returning from Australia. Had a year backpacking and when I returned - got so sick and spent a lot of time hospitalised. Guess I should have stayed in Oz!!!!

Fatigue is also an issue due to SLE. But, as I know - I am lucky compared to some - and fortunate for having support from my family.

My immunologist told me the other day that if my feet start doing what they should do - albeit fused - then the rest of my body may feel better. Walking in pain just takes so much energy. So will have to wait and see if he is right.

My body - though very petite as I am - is just a complete wreck. Looks no problem on the outside - but is a mass of nasty white cells inside.

Sorry for being such a whinger. Tired and sleep eludes me.

But hey - gotta smile Smile

Lotsa positive thoughts in my head - just need to remind myself that POSITIVE is the only way.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 08:00 am
Rheumatoid arthritis is one of the nastiest diseases known to man--or woman.

Your doctor is probably right that subtracting a major source of pain may help your other aches and pangs. (Do you identify with the Little Mermaid--the H.C. Anderson version, not Disney's reincarnation?)

Control freaks--and I suspect you have a nodding acquaintance with the breed--tense in anticipation of pain. (Of course, tensing makes the pain worse, but....). Walking on knives has the rest of your body quivering with anticipation and resentment.

Since my first nasty femal fracture 30 years ago, I'd been walking in pain and toeing out. In November last year I started seeing a chiropractor and her manipulations have me toeing straight ahead and the ache in my leg, shoulders and neck is much improved.

There are still days when shuffling off this mortal coil has its charms.

Who will be your support system while you're healing?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 04:56 pm
Hi Noddy -

Thanku for your understanding.

It's been a loathsome 2 days. The brain is in gear but the body work is firmly stuck in the mud. This morning I could not get out of bed and my little fella (10) had to help me up. It's so frustrating. I think I am going into a flare - probably because I have finally "parked" - and now it's catching up on me. Couldn't move my arms or walk hardly at all today and now all the knuckles are swelling on my hands. Hey Ho! What a joy.

I do feel good in my head tho and am able to banter on the threads which is doing me the power of good. Folks here are fab.

I'm not sure what's gonna happen at the moment with the support side of things. My Mom had to go get my groceries today because I was a little bombed on the meds - when she came in she just said - "please don't push Daddy and me away" - I know she is going to have to move in when I come out of hospital and be here whilst I'm in the wheelchair. At 43 - the thought of being "taken care" of is ............ oh, just as frustrating.

But mother knows best this time - and I need her help. I live in the middle of nowhere in a large victorian house on the moors. We built a 2 bed annexe with access-disabled throughout so I may go in there for a while, just til I get on my feet again. Going to have to let everyone back in and take all the help I can get. On days like today - I HATE THIS CONDITION.

Oh well - as I say, still got my wits about me so lucky for that, and more lucky to have support from people who care about me.

Onwards and upwards - Dominion being held Smile Thanku.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 05:16 pm
Izzie, I'm posting to let you know others are reading along and care besides the fabulous Noddy. (You two are sharp women...) I don't have much to add except occasional mentions of support.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:00 pm
Chiming in with osso. (I'm impressed as all get-out with your gumption!)

The annex sounds like it's going to be a god-send for your recovery period.

Glad to hear the word gamers are keeping your spirits up. They do the same for me at irregular intervals. Isn't A2K great? (Glad you're here!)
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:14 pm
Thanku both. It's great here. Folks really are extremely generous and have compassion that is very heart-warming. I will try not to whine too much - but it is therapeutic to get it out of my head instead of letting it wear me down. Thanku for listening.

Not long to go! - but these boots were made for walking for at least another 20 days - and boy - are these heels gonna be worn down before I have them bronzed!!!!! Pain or no pain Laughing

Thanking you muchly. Izzie Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:50 am
Izzie--

Quote:
I'm not sure what's gonna happen at the moment with the support side of things. My Mom had to go get my groceries today because I was a little bombed on the meds - when she came in she just said - "please don't push Daddy and me away" - I know she is going to have to move in when I come out of hospital and be here whilst I'm in the wheelchair. At 43 - the thought of being "taken care" of is ............ oh, just as frustrating.

You're not only a Control Freak, you're a Notorious Control Freak.

Keep holding.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:59 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Izzie--

You're not only a Control Freak, you're a Notorious Control Freak.

Keep holding.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thatsme hun - you're getting to know me a?

Laughing

Holding my own - having a good day in my head and the body is a little less cranky (other than the feet) - very glad you are there to keep me in check. Thanku Noddy Smile You are a star Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 07:59 am
Izzie--

Thanks for the kind words.

The Sisterhood of Control Freaks has a large membership. Takes one to know one.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 07:03 pm
This journey is soon to start....

one step at a time.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 02:04 pm
Have you found a ride to hospital?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:19 pm
Yes thanku - a friend is picking me up at 6.30am and taking me in. She wouldn't take "no" for an answer and I'm really pleased. Looking forward to seeing the sunrise over the moors as we drive to the hospital.

(No - I haven't packed - will throw some stuff in a bag tho just before I head out the door!) Laughing

I'm very nervous right now. Not so much with the op - that's out of my hands and left to the experts - just really not good with pain - but, short term pain, long term gain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't think I will be able to sleep tonight so just pottering about at the moment.

Thanku everyone for listening out for me...

Will check in as soon as I am able.

Little steps Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:30 pm
Hey, Izzie, you know we care. You will thrive beyond this. Consider at least a few of us in the room with you. Go well.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:46 pm
I know you are all with me - and I thank you for that. I wouldn't have made any steps without you guys - really - so I will remember to stay focused, be positive and will be back soon to keep you posted on the next step Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:50 pm
As soon as you can. We don't care if your syntax flags on the typing.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:54 pm
Smiling.

I know what I'm like when I'm tired and typing......or typoing! Smile

Goodness knows what I shall be like with a few shots of the happy medicine. Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:01 pm
I'll be keeping company with the gang waiting for your check-in, Izzie.

Word games on meds - always a wow :wink: !!!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:28 pm
Cheers ehBeth - may stick with my Yabber Liner thread to start off with - oh gosh - can you imagine what I would be like on the games threads? OOOOOOH - maybe not a? Certain it would be a chuckle. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:30 pm
I've recently gone back and looked at a few posts made while I was on antibiotics ... sparkling repartee, not so much ... entertaining, yes!
0 Replies