Foot Fusion - (Bunion/Rheumatoid/Lupus) - Plz someone know!

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 12:49 pm
Hoping someone can get my head sorted - (need a psych i reckon - and lotsa gin!!!!!!!!) Confused

4 weeks today I will be in a hospital bed! Have chronic rheumatoid and already had 2 lotsa foot surgery where both feet have been reconstructed, tendons cut, pins put in blah blah blah. Have just turned 43 and on 12 Feb am having my right foot fused and k-wired (Stainsby procedure). My big toe on the right is nearly at 45 degrees under my second toe and there is no hope for it any more. It will be completely fused into position. The other 4 will be shortened by cutting the bones and shortening the toes, wires inserted through the end of the toes and held in place so they do not move. The right foot will never bend again. The left foot is going to be reconstructed again to prevent further soft tissue damage (already done but tendons need to be released again and the boutonniere deformities corrected).

My right foot will be in plaster for 8 weeks and I have been told that the learning to walk again - (which involves a different learning to walk again after reconstruction) is going to be a long process. Sometimes 6 months to a year. Thats if it all works and I don't start flaring and my lupus stays in check!

Having been through 2 lotsa surgery before (last one was 3 years ago), I know the pain involved. Pain i can cope with to a point - though I am a total wimp and morphine will play a large part as before. The recovery period was long and tiring but it did work and I would recommend it. Unfortunately, my rheumatoid doesn't play nice and decided that it would deal me another blow. So, now - the big surgery. Will be off work for 3-4 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My question is: Has anyone had the complete fusion before. I saw my surgeon again yesterday to go through the options AGAIN. We discussed everything at length - he knows I don't want to do this but the upheaval to my children and family etc, work etc - he knows that I will eventually have to have the foot fused and to reconstruct again really isn't an option - I know hes right but had to ask again. I trust him implicitly and though I knew this was coming - I still cannot get my head around it.

I am not strong at the moment (am trying to recover from a break-up and not succeeding, have a disabled child who is unable to live with me because of his mental health difficulties - that's whole other story - and a little boy who will have to go live with his dad for a while). I am not in a good space and know I have to get strong. So, if there is anyone out there who has had this "final" surgery and can give me any information it would be good. I have asked around and I cant find anyone who has had this done.

Really hoping someone is out there that is in the know.

Thanku.

PS - even though it sounds stupid - the thought that I will never wear girl shoes again in my life is messing my head up. I'm a high heels girlie. I love to climb cliffs and jump over rock pools - I love to wear a ballgown and be cinderella - i know - it sounds stupid doesn't it - I cant imagine not wearing heels again and not having a foot that bends. Sad

Jeez - I am such a mess. So gotta get strong. At the mo, wanna sleep and just continue to sleep. Then no more to deal with.

Yh Yh - I know - just gotta get on with it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 14,597 • Replies: 154
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 01:11 pm
That's quite a lot you're dealing with Izzie. I hope someone here can help you via their own experience.

Have you looked at whatever national or international rheumatology websites exist? Or orthopedic surgery sites?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 01:25 pm
Hi there.

Yeah. Have done a lot of research on this over the last few months but just cant seem to find anyone - even on the rheum/ortho surgery forums - who has actually had this surgery or how it impacted their every day life, or what its like to walk without bending the foot.

Hoping someone around will maybe know someone somewhere whose had this.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 01:33 pm
You're welcome. I used to work in a rheumatology lab years ago, but I'm no clinician and not a rheumatology patient. Anyway, best wishes to you on this.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 02:41 pm
Izzie--

I don't have any personal experience with the sort of surgery you describe, but I can identify with your wistful rage at being sentenced to Practical Shoes for the rest of your days.

I've got a genetic bone condition that requires practical shoes. I've worn practical shoes for the last 30-odd years and only wish that my legs were long enough to kick the shins of fate.

Evidently you're going to have some down time. Do you have plenty on hand to read?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 02:56 pm
Hey again Noddy

Thanks for replying - I'm sorry you have a condition too.

I really can't imagine never putting my girl shoes on again - I live in jeans and trousers that touch the floor with my 3 inch heels - it kinda makes me "me". Gives me confidence. Sounds ridiculous - but it does.

Just hoping someone will know someone whose had this done to give me some more info.

However, can't control the effects of rheumatoid so ... will be hanging around with A2K for the next few months - and reading the books I bought myself for Christmas.

Would be lost without my laptop and the www.........

Y'all know when I'm bored - will be posting left, right and centre.

Just gotta get my strength up and Hold My Dominion.

Cheers. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 04:00 pm
Izzie--

You've got Attitude--this will be almost as useful as a love of reading.

Every so often I dream about frivolous shoes. My favorites were a pair of sandals with tiny-tiny straps and two inch heels. I thought about getting them bronzed--like baby shoes used to be bronzed--but decided I'd rather buy books with my mad money.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 04:09 pm
Hi Noddy

When I found out about my surgery I made the decision to wear my beautiful high heel boots every single day until they cut me up and fuse me together. (Feet are crippling me but hey - that's no worries)

I have made a promise to myself that on the day before my surgery (3.5 weeks) I am going to Boscastle - a stunning village on the coast in Cornwall, on my own - I am going to wear my very slinky and sexy ballgown with my highest heels and walk along the cliffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Provided I don't topple down the cliff as I totter along I will then face the surgery with a smile on my face just thinking about how completely ridiculous I will look to all the tourists who will be admiring the sea views.

Am feeling a little stronger since I've started talking - even if's just on here. Doing me good.

Thanku for helping me out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 07:57 am
Izzie--

A2K is benefiting from your post-trauma, pre-op nerves. You've got brains and a nimble tongue (and quick fingers on the keyboard) and fusing the bones in your feet is not going to cripple you medically or psychically.

Back in the '60's I lived in St. Ives for a year. Can you time your walk when the tide is rolling in and the clouds are reeking with atmosphere?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 02:07 pm
Hey

OK just having a bit of a vent here.

Got a whole heap of pain going on in the 'ole feet at the mo - pain killers aren't touching it right now - so trying to keep myself distracted ... hence the vent.

OW OW OW OW OW!

Noddy - will send your regards to St. Ives - the N.Devon and Cornwall coastline is magnificent. Nothing like walk along the cliffs (actually, love it when the mist is lingering)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 03:40 pm
Izzie--

Along the north Cornish coast, I can believe that the Celts have more ghosts than lesser peoples.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 03:43 pm
Will post a picture of where I am going (when I work out how to make pics bigger on here - doh)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 10:36 am
Izzie--

I hope you're keeping a List of Good Intentions for your enforced leisure time?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 10:43 am
2-6 months sitting it out - GIVE ME IDEAS HUN - please Laughing

gotta keep feet above heart for a month - oh my goodness

lotsa good books
lotsa movies I reckon but don't really do TV that much
lotsa A2K posting no doubt
(lotsa pain meds) Shocked
lotsa deep breathing and relaxation techniques

all suggestions welcomed Smile
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 11:12 am
You have a long road ahead of you Izzie, and I wish you all the best. I was going to suggest sitting t'ai chi as one form of relaxation exercise (bet you didn't see that one coming :wink: ) but the only stuff I've been able to find so far on YouTube appears to be demonstrated by the type of people who give t'ai chi a bad name. So here's some sitting qi gong:

Qi Gong
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 11:14 am
Thanku - checking it out now Smile
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 11:47 am
That was very relaxing. Slowed down my breathing and other than going cross-eyed at one point Shocked, it was definitely beneficial.

My little boy (10) said "do it now mom" and as I did it he was watching. Bless him - he turned around and asked me if it helped me relax - to which I replied "absolutely". He then said "Mom, I even felt relaxed listening to it."

Much appreciated. I will do this. Smile
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 01:43 pm
Glad you found it helpful. The first exercise (Wave Hands Like Clouds) can make some people dizzy at first so I understand the cross-eyed feeling Very Happy

Once you're comfortable with it you could try breathing in slowly (through your nose) while tracking your right hand to the right, then breathing out slowly (through your barely open mouth) while tracking your left hand left. (Just the breathing deeply alone is great for de-stressing.)
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 01:45 pm
Thanku - have been doing breathing exercises to help control the pain.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated Smile
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 05:56 pm
Sleep eludes me. Pain is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHH!

Taking so many pain killers. Doing the breathing exercises. Even got a CD which I've put on my IPOD to try to go to sleep with - Deep Relaxation.

Just felt like having a moan - no-one to tell at home at this time of night so thought I'd talk to the cyberworld.

Oh well - deep breath in.....deep breath out.

(CR*P)
0 Replies