Softener resin escaping

justalurker

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:02 pm
Zozzie wrote:
One final question (well for now anyway). I've just got one part left over from my Clack install (not bad eh?) and it's this small rubber washer with a small hole in it. I think it might go inside the backwash outlet elbow. What's it's purpose also?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd298/Zozzie1/softener-dec-07008.jpg

Looks like the DLFC.

Look in the manual with parts list with exploded drawings that should have come with your control valve to identify that part.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:23 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Zozzie wrote:
I guess it was in the bag with the other backwash pipe fittings. I had to supply my own pipe so I dunno how they could have pre-fitted it. It just pushes into the outlet elbow before the backwash pipe is shoved in and nut tightened down.

Interesting, can you post a picture?

I don't really wanna take fitting apart to show all the bits but in the bag was the plastic nut, a pipe insert, two tapered gland washers (always know as "olives" to me) and the washer shown in the post above. As there was no square shoulder for the washer to sit on inside the grey L, I wasn't sure whether it went in there or not.

The first backwash was like Hoover Dam in full flood so I kinda figured the washer with the small hole in it was a restrictor. After you confirmed this I installed it, did another backwash and the flow was like 10% of what it was before.

Here's the backwash elbow. Just imagine all the above parts inside it Laughing

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd298/Zozzie1/softener-dec-07010.jpg
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:40 pm
justalurker wrote:
Zozzie wrote:

Looks like the DLFC. Look in the manual with parts list with exploded drawings that should have come with your control valve to identify that part.

Dead on Lurker. But the damn washer goes UNDER the DLFC Retainer Assy! Not insdie the flippin' elbow where I put it! It says in the destructions "Valves are shipped without the Drain Line Flow Control (DLFC) - install DLFC before using.

Hell they want me to assemble this valve for them? I guess the DLFC comes in 13 different restrictor hole sizes for various GPM flow. There was just one in my bag and I've no idea what size it is or what size I should have.

I wonder what else I don't know about? I wish they had sent a user install sheet and refered me to the manual for this kinda stuff.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:49 pm
Zozzie wrote:
[There was just one in my bag and I've no idea what size it is or what size I should have.

I wonder what else I don't know about? I wish they had sent a user install sheet and referred me to the manual for this kinda stuff.

You don't know about that soft wall vinyl type tubing you have on the softener drain elbow. That tubing can collapse and pinch off the drain. You should have received a drain elbow with a barb to use opaque PE tubing like the brine line tubing but larger ID.

Your Quack, I mean Clack, dealer is underwhelming.

When you do it yourself there's no one else to blame

As Clint Eastwood said "a man's got to know his limitations" :wink:
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:21 pm
justalurker wrote:
When you do it yourself there's no one else to blame

Right on Lurker. But I've paid too many "experts" in my life to learn their trade at my expense. It's tough, without hindsight, to know the experts from the bluffers in this world. I'll take the fun of stumble-bumbling though most jobs anytime. I haven't flooded or burned the house down yet.

Quote:
As Clint Eastwood said "a man's got to know his limitations" :wink:

Also true. But if no-one pushed their "limitations" we'd all be shivering in caves.

Quote:
If that is soft wall vinyl type tubing you have on the softener drain elbow you better keep an eye on it. That tubing can collapse and pinch off the drain. You should have received a drain elbow with a barb to use opaque PE tubing like the brine line but larger.

Nope no tubing in the box except for the brine stuff. I've got a "fair run" on the vinyl to prevent kinks.

Quote:
Your Quack, err I mean Clack, dealer is underwhelming.

We'll have a nice conversation tomorrow when I call him. I'm saving up all my questions.

I took out the backwash elbow as the destructions showed the flow control washer was down inside under the elbow. Here is the elbow with the washer now installed in its real home.

There was a bright orange tag on the valve saying "No DLFC installed!"

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing eh Lurker? But then this is why forums like this exist. I'm an "expert" helper on another forum and have taught many Newbs over the last ten years to build bicycle wheels, not to mention fixing every other part of their bike. Do THAT wrong and you might be under a bus or over a cliff.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd298/Zozzie1/washer.jpg
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:52 pm
Zozzie wrote:
Nope no tubing in the box except for the brine stuff. I've got a "fair run" on the vinyl to prevent kinks.

Do yourself a big favor and replace that vinyl tubing with PE... the vinyl will act differently after being flexed by the water pressure and it acts differently at different temperatures.

Zozzie wrote:
I'm an "expert" helper on another forum and have taught many Newbs over the last ten years to build bicycle wheels

Ah, spokes... a whole other nightmare. Ever lace up a 16" Harley rear wheel from a rigid panhead? That'll bust your knuckles.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:03 pm
justalurker wrote:
Zozzie wrote:

Do yourself a big favor and replace that vinyl tubing with PE... the vinyl will act differently after being flexed by the water pressure and it acts differently at different temperatures.

+1

I use CPVC or Reinforced PVC Hose for drain lines in all of my installations.

http://www.spairtool.co.uk/images/tube3.jpg
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:04 pm
justalurker wrote:

Yep thanks for the tip. I was planning on touring around tomorrow looking for 5' of 5/8 PE.

Quote:
Ah, spokes... a whole other nightmare.

Love 'em! Building wheels is a passion wi' me. Has been for 45 years.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:06 pm
Quote:
I use CPVC or Reinforced PVC Hose for drain lines in all of my installations.

Thanks Waterman. I'll take the nut and the insert and tour the hardware shops tomorrow.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:47 pm
Zozzie wrote:
I was planning on touring around tomorrow looking for 5' of 5/8 PE.

Here's a sano option while you're shopping... unscrew the knurled nut on the drain elbow and screw on one of these nifty adapters... warm the end of the PE with a light bulb or hair dryer and then slide it on and finish with a mini clamp.

Please excuse the dirt, it's dusty by the shed door.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/17ed881c86.jpg
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:02 pm
justalurker wrote:
Here's a sano option while you're shopping... unscrew the knurled nut on the drain elbow and screw on one of these nifty adapters... warm the end of the PE with a light bulb or hair dryer and then slide it on and finish with a mini clamp.

That beats my compression fitting. I'll try to find something like that. Thanks 'Lurker.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:10 am
The compression fitting is just as good and in many instances better although I don't use them because I use different plumbing connectors that get the softener closer to the wall and the barbed elbow allows the drain line to run vertical sooner. You don't have a need for that.

Handsome softener there Zozzie. Although that white spot on the neck of the tank? I have a customer that was pissed and whined about that on his. He has an almond colored jacket on his tank, which is blue... you shoulda heard him whine about THAT; "I ordered almond tanks and your supplier shoulda...!". Justalurker can tell you all about that and how to fix it.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 07:17 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
The compression fitting is just as good and in many instances better although I don't use them because I use different plumbing connectors that get the softener closer to the wall and the barbed elbow allows the drain line to run vertical sooner. You don't have a need for that.

Arrgghh, now I don't know WHAT to do! Decisions, decisions!

Quote:
Handsome softener there Zozzie. Although that white spot on the neck of the tank?

That's just a gasket between valve and tank isn't it? Some guy wanted a color-coordinated one? Ahemm. I guess my white one contrasts with my black tank perfectly. I'm going to have to change the curtains in that utility room though. They now clash!
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 08:44 pm
Zozzie wrote:
Some guy wanted a color-coordinated one?

No Zozzie, not the gasket. As usual Slusser posts are inaccurate or out of context and twists the truth to beat his own drum and sometimes just to amuse and incite someone looking to start trouble by stirring the pot.:wink:

Gary Slusser wrote:
Although that white spot on the neck of the tank? I have a customer that was pissed and whined about that on his. He has an almond colored jacket on his tank, which is blue... you shoulda heard him whine about THAT; "I ordered almond tanks and your supplier shoulda...!". Justalurker can tell you all about that and how to fix it.

That remark is aimed at me and has been the subject of quite a few misquotes and and blatant lies.

I ordered a softener from Gary. I ordered an almond resin tank and an almond brine tank. When it arrived from the drop shipper there was a blue resin tank.

Gary refused to have the blue resin tank I received exchanged for the almond resin tank I ordered and his reasons (excuses) were "they work the same regardless of color" and "you're going to put a cover on it anyway".

I ordered an almond resin tank.
I got a blue resin tank.
I wanted what I ordered and paid for.

Enjoy your soft water.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:35 pm
Nah, there's no gasket. You didn't overtighten the valve and start to pull the neck out did you!

Yeah he color coordinated his softener to his water heater with the jacket and put a piece of black pipe insulation around the neck.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 11:31 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
Yeah he color coordinated his softener to his water heater with the jacket and put a piece of black pipe insulation around the neck.

Yeah, I ordered what I ordered and didn't get what I ordered.

With Gary, the customer's never right... especially when they are.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 03:32 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
Nah, there's no gasket. You didn't overtighten the valve and start to pull the neck out did you!

The valve and resin tank were already assembled when they arrived so I didn't tighten nutt'n. That white ring in the pic is either a plastic gasket or just the top of the tank that the black fiberglass wrap doesn't cover.

Quote:

Jeeze I wasn't offered a choice of nice colors. It arrived in Boring Black but at least both tanks match, and match the head so the supplier didn't screw me over! 'Lurker's gonna be jealous. If I'd known there were color choices I would have liked a nice Atomic Orange one.

Maybe I'll do some nice color accents on mine to break up all that boring black. Hmmmmm......... Confused
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 11:16 am
justalurker wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:

justalurker wrote:
Yeah, I ordered what I ordered and didn't get what I ordered.

As you should see, the color of the tank doesn't matter when you cover it with a jacket.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:39 pm
Gary, I've had my WS1 Clack working for a week and we seem to be getting soft water but I don't have a clue if I've got all the settings right or not.

I phoned the fellow who I bought it off a couple of days ago and we went over some settings but he's not the best communicator and I'm a softener newbie so I don't know if I got the best info possible out of him.

I'll tell you what I have and what settings I'm using at the monent and maybe you can offer me some suggestions and better settings or correct me if I'm too much of a naive Noob.

This is what I have -
Clack WS1
Resin tank size - 0948 (from a large label low on the resin tank)
1cu ft of resin.
30,000 something or other (showing my newbness here!)
Two people in the house.

Settings at the moment -
DLFC - 3.5 - 4.
10 lbs of salt per regeneration.
Capacity - 30,000
Post fill brine tank.
Downflow.
Auto regeneration. (2am)
City water with 13 grains of hardness.

Waddya think Gary?
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 06:33 pm
You have a 2.7 gpm DLFC. Usually that is used in a 1.5 cuft and you have a 9" x 48" tank which is for a 1.0 cuft softener.

To get 30,000, you need 15 lbs of salt. Ten lbs would get you 25.5k. You don't need and shouldn't want either. That's terrible salt efficiency.

With two people:

Settings should be -
DLFC - is 2.7
4.0 lbs of salt per regeneration.
Capacity - 13,000
Calendar override day 8

Post fill brine tank.
Downflow.
Auto regeneration. (2am)
City water with 13 grains of hardness.

That will put 1000 gals on the meter. It will regenerate on average every 8 days. That's optimal.
0 Replies