Softener resin escaping

Zozzie

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:49 pm
I have an old Myers residential water softener unit, probably 25 years old, and I'm finding its resin trapped in the filters on my water faucets.
How is the resin escaping? Is the whole unit junk?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 17,780 • Replies: 207
No top replies

justalurker

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:56 pm
If you haven't done anything lately to the softener it may have a broken bottom basket or distributer tube.

I'd put the softener in "bypass" so no more resin gets into your plumbing. You'll need to, or have a plumber, clean out your plumbing system, water heater, toilets, aerators, and washer... kind of a pain but it must be done.

At 25 years, you got more than your money's worth from that softener.

I suggest it's time to retire that veteran softener and take advantage of the new technology in efficient softeners.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:05 pm
Thanks Lurker! Yes I figured I'd had my money out of this softener.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:30 am
Re: Softener resin escaping
Zozzie wrote:
I have an old Myers residential water softener unit, probably 25 years old, and I'm finding its resin trapped in the filters on my water faucets.
How is the resin escaping? Is the whole unit junk?

Myers used Fleck 1500 side mount and 2500 controls. You can get parts for it but the problem isn't with the control valve. The distributor tube or bottom basket is probably cracked. Hot water getting into the unit from backflow of the water heater during the backwash cycle can cause that. You can get a new DT and resin or a new metered softener that is correctly sized for your family size and the SFR required for the house.

If you decide to go with a new softener, look at the Clack WS-1 control valve. It's the latest improved version of the Fleck line invented by three ex Fleck engineers.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:52 am
With 25 years of reliable service from a Fleck control valve shop for a replacement softener with a Fleck control valve. You KNOW what to expect as far as service and reliability from them... why accept less?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:58 am
I have seen so many threads here on water softeners. It's a mystery to me. Perhaps my water is "hard" by your standards, who knows? ... but I honestly don't get all this concern about the need to soften water. I must read up on why it's such a big issue in the US!
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 04:37 am
msolga wrote:
I honestly don't get all this concern about the need to soften water.

Then you probably don't have hard water or have never experienced hard water. When washing or showering, if you have hard water, it feels like the washcloth sticks to your skin. Also soap has a much harder time making a lather and therefore much more soap is needed. If you do have hard water and experience softened water you will never go back.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 04:43 am
Thanks for explaining, Zozzie.
Obviously I have never experienced really hard water! What causes it - excessive minerals in the water supply?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:13 am
Whoops! I don't wish to derail this thread asking for answers to questions that would be all to familiar to the people on these threads ....

So please continue, all.

Back to Zozzie's original question!
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:25 am
msolga wrote:

Obviously I have never experienced really hard water! What causes it - excessive minerals in the water supply?

Even though I "think" I know the answer, with so many experts on this site I wouldn't DARE start WWIII (Water Wars 3) by giving my amateur explanation. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:39 am
justalurker wrote:
With 25 years of reliable service from a Fleck control valve shop for a replacement softener with a Fleck control valve. You KNOW what to expect as far as service and reliability from them... why accept less?

Oh man I've just had an entertaining hour (can't sleep at 5am) reading the back & forth exchanges between yourself, H20_Man, waterforlife and Gary Slusser throughout this fine forum. Shocked

Now I'm thoroughly confused! I was going to drive out to Home Depot and cart out one of their units but now I'll be checking under the hood for Flecks, Clacks and goodness knows what.

It was hilarious reading the monster thread below (I can't even find it again now) where all the experts are contradicting and insulting each other. What I wanna know is who's right and who's fulla $h!t ?

If I had just read the posts from one of you experts I'd be a happy fella right now but as it is, I'm totally confused. What I DO know is this - if I could find another mechanical timered Myers like I've had for eons it would last me the rest of my life. But that ain't gonna happen any more than you fellows agreeing with each other is it? :wink:
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:48 am
msolga wrote:
Thanks for explaining, Zozzie.

Ok here's the explanations I've found on a water treatment site -

What is hard water?
The presence of calcium and magnesium salts in water. It is the most common problem in residential properties and a water softener removes these elements.

What are the advantages of soft water?
You will save money by using soft water because you will use less soap and detergent, fabrics will last longer and stay brighter, glassware will not have streaks and bathtubs will not have unsightly rings. Appliances will last longer and hot water heating costs will be 20-30% less with reduced scale deposits caused by hard water. The best way to soften water is with an ion exchange water softener.

I didn't write that so I hope the Experts won't rip me another arsehole for posting it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:51 am
Thank you, Zozzie.

Very good of you to take the time to do that!

I hope you solve your problem, too.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 07:05 am
Fire Water
We do have some spirited H2O discussions.

I think the best solution to your problem is to buy a brand new softener with a modern control valve.
I suggest that you deal with a local H2O dealer that sells, installs and services quality equipment.
Shop around if you can and check references. If you are able to R&R the system yourself check out North Star.

HTH ~
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 08:13 am
Re: Fire Water
H2O_MAN wrote:
We do have some spirited H2O discussions.

Yes I SEE that!! It's hilarious, interesting and confusing though. How can so many "experts" be so opposed in their views and opinions? Errr maybe you shouldn't answer that. But I'm the kinda fella to take it all in and filter it through my own noggin and decide what's best for ME.

Quote:
I think the best solution to your problem is to buy a brand new softener with a modern control valve.
I suggest that you deal with a local H2O dealer that sells, installs and services quality equipment.
Shop around if you can and check references.

Yes I will be buying new (rather than trying to fix my 28yr old Meyers mechanical timer ol' blister) and of couse it will be with a modern valve. I was just looking in our Yellow pages and in the city we have -
Culligan (of course).
Aqua Fine.
Water Depot.
Ecowater.
Dr. H2O Inc.
- plus a few independant plumbers who advertize water softeners.

Any opinions on any of those names?

My old one is a Myers which was made (made? assembled? distributed?) in Kitchener Ontario Canada which is just 30 minutes up the highway from me. My local hardware store (Home Hardware) has its parent company in the Kitchener area and sells a Myers softener. I'll be over there this morning to take a look.

Any idea what valve the Meyers uses? Fleck? Clack? (I can feel WWIII starting again!).

Any opionions on self-installation? I installed my current one 28 years ago and do all my own plumbing.

Quote:
If you are able to R&R the system yourself check out North Star.

I'll check around to see if anyone sells it. Thanks! This is a great forum.

Let battle commence! I should PM Gary S and get him fired up. Laughing
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 08:30 am
In my professional opinion EcoWater offers the best equipment available.
Since you are fully capable of installing and setting up your system seek out a supply house that sells North Star.
North Star is made by EcoWater and comes with everything you need to install the softener.

HTH ~
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 08:39 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Since you are fully capable of installing and setting up your system seek out a supply house that sells North Star.
North Star is made by EcoWater and comes with everything you need to install the softener.
HTH ~

The Ecowater guy is just across town. I'll go see him today and baffle him with my new knowledge.

Yes I'd be comfortable with installing a softener. My Meyers quit on me a couple of years ago (water would go out of the salt tank and was overflowing out the overflow pipe if I remember correctly) and I took a valve apart and found it seized. I polished it with crocus cloth, lubed it with plumbers' lube and it's worked fine since. I guess I got lucky.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 08:52 am
Zozzie wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
HTH ~

The Ecowater guy is just across town. I'll go see him today and baffle him with my new knowledge.

That sounds like a good plan. EcoWater is dealer install only, North Star is cash and carry - you install.

Wait for it . . .
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 09:16 am
zozzie,

There are certain facts that are, well, simply facts...

Hard water is hard due to minerals (CaCO3 among other things) in the water

Softening hard water is most cost effectively done by ion exchange

Soft water increases the service life of plumbing, fixtures, and you can use less detergent

Fleck control valves have the longest and most reliable in the field service history of ANY brand. Fleck control valves are the largest selling brand worldwide. For a generic, industry standard softener they can not be beat as your own experience shows.

Free advice pales when you have a 28 year service history of your own. What more could your old softener have done for you?

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 10:37 am
justalurker wrote:
Free advice pales when you have a 28 year service history of your own. What more could your old softener have done for you?

Brew my coffee? Laughing

Thanks for your input too 'lurker. Much appreciated.
0 Replies