The US is a great place to be anti-American

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It reminds me of a passage from King's Salem's Lot.

Quote:

An important quote in the book is where the priest, Father Callahan comes face to face with the vampire Barlow. Callahan picks up a cross that begins to glow. Barlow challenges the priest to throw down the cross and fight him faith to faith, good against evil. The priest is afraid to throw down the cross, the cross loses its glow, and the vampire forces the priest to drink his blood and then says:

"The cross -the bread and wine - the confessional - only symbols. Without faith the cross is only wood, the bread baked wheat, the wine sour grapes. If you had cast the cross away, you should have beaten me another night. In a way, I had hoped it might be so. It has been long since I had met a opponent of any real worth. The boy makes ten of you, false priest."

The flag is only a symbol, and you are a weakling for not realizing that.

Cycloptichorn

That's one of your problems, Cyclops. You listen to vampires.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:39 pm
2 reason's not to place you hand over your heart as a citizen during the anthem.

1. Too cool (which means they are one of those assholes that believes non-conformity proves just how cool they are.)

2. They aren't patriotic.

So, yeah, it's really no wonder lefties continually have their patriotism questioned. If they are patriotic, guess that just means they are an asshole.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:41 pm
McGentrix wrote:
2 reason's not to place you hand over your heart as a citizen during the anthem.

1. Too cool (which means they are one of those **** that believes non-conformity proves just how cool they are.)

2. They aren't patriotic.

So, yeah, it's really no wonder lefties continually have their patriotism questioned. If they are patriotic, guess that just means they are an ****.

Your opinion is duly noted and filed in the circular file.

How about the time period BEFORE the national anthem? Or when it was first invented? Those people must not have been patriotic, b/c placing one's hand over one's heart has not always been the tradition. Good thing that they aren't alive to hear you question their patriotism.

Slavish adherence to tradition is the sign of a tiny, tiny mind.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:52 pm
So, you must be a number 1 then? Too cool to pay your respect to the national anthem. That's fine, this thread is all about how America is a great place to be if you hate America.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So, you must be a number 1 then? Too cool to pay your respect to the national anthem. That's fine, this thread is all about how America is a great place to be if you hate America.

I've never once failed to place my hand over my heart during the anthem. But I certainly wouldn't think down upon someone who does.

Just a symbol; symbols are meaningless, it's what is behind them that counts.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:00 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I've never once failed to place my hand over my heart during the anthem. But I certainly wouldn't think down upon someone who does.

Cycloptichorn

If someone doesn't respect the symbol, what would lead you to believe they would respect what's behind the symbol? If you spit on the symbol, you effectively spit on what's behind it and what it represents.

You can try to be as semantic as you wish, doesn't change the facts.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:02 pm
Far lefties use the flag to figuratively wipe their asses. Far righties use it to show how patriotic they are without actually being patriotic. It's stupid, but then again, so is blind patriotism.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:07 pm
It was a chilly morning so I walked the neighborhood gathering american flags to burn in the fireplace, kept me warm until noon.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:08 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

If someone doesn't respect the symbol, what would lead you to believe they would respect what's behind the symbol? If you spit on the symbol, you effectively spit on what's behind it and what it represents.

You state this because you, like Foofie, are unable to discern the difference between a symbol and the thing it represents. Others are able to discern the difference.

A failure on your part does not constitute a problem on someone else's part, Mcg.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:38 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

You state this because you, like Foofie, are unable to discern the difference between a symbol and the thing it represents. Others are able to discern the difference.

A failure on your part does not constitute a problem on someone else's part, Mcg.

Cycloptichorn

So, are you saying that one not use or believe in symbols that represent something?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:42 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

So, are you saying that one not use or believe in symbols that represent something?

We all use symbols every day. The words I write are symbols for the transmission of information. What you propose is not in fact possible.

I am saying that one should keep in mind that the symbol is a discrete entity from the thing it represents - and not get up in arms when our symbols don't mean the same thing to everyone.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:48 pm
i have always treated the flag with respect, except on a single occasion when it was time to dispose of mine. i felt that nutcases and psychopaths had been attacking the country for too long (george bush for one,) and that there wasn't anything left that the flag could stand for. i threw it away, which is not the proper way to dispose of it, but i felt all the meaning had been sucked out anyway.

that's what i think of america: an ideal that no one ever lived up to, but always worth striving towards, that obviously no one here cares about anyway. the ultimate way to express freedom is to bow to a fascist leader, the ultimate way to express love is to bomb other countries, and the ultimate way to be american(tm) is to have sex with a stripey piece of cloth. it was nice knowing you, america. i always loved you, but my best just wasn't ever good enough. i'll just find someone else, who isn't a crazy ****ing bitch.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6075/bushvampirevm0.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:00 pm
Someone forgot to take their meds.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:36 pm
People who love flags will never engage in nor support torture of other humans.

Flag love turns us inevitably into morally superior agents.

Those who do not love their flags, whether a maple leaf or swastika or stars and stripes or rising sun or hammer and sickle, are enemies of the motherland.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:50 pm
... while others have taken too many.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:55 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

I heard my name called. I was busy marching on the parade ground with my American flag, doing right turns, left turns, and about face marches.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 08:39 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2696/0876la.gif

Watch your shoes, everyone. More incoming tico.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 08:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Some foreign people see their flag as nothing more then a piece of cloth and that is fine for them. Some Americans see their flag as nothing more then a piece of cloth as well, and I question that.

What impeccable logic! A McGism to be sure.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 09:40 pm
How to spot freedom-loving individuals.

1) they climb to the top of a little hill
2) they erect a thing there...a pile of rocks or a statue or a flag or a golden calf
3) they insist that everyone behave in precisely the same obsequious manner towards what has been erected

That's how you spot freedom-loving individuals.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 09:49 pm
Foofie wrote:
... and about face marches.

An about face would be nice, Foofie. It would illustrate a mind that refuses to march in lockstep to the drumbeat of this incessant insanity.
0 Replies