The US is a great place to be anti-American

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 03:42 pm
p.s. - american naval bases in cuba are still a really crappy place to be unpatriotic. you're much better off in france.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 08:26 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
p.s. - american naval bases in cuba are still a really crappy place to be unpatriotic. you're much better off in france.

Why the hell does the US even have a naval base in a sovereign country? The Phillippines told the USA to take a hike and they did. Why don't they get out of Cuba; because the USA has this overwhelming need to bully little countries.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 08:53 pm
Re: The US is a great place to be anti-American
McGentrix wrote:
[McG didn't write; that would have been an impossible task]

Anti-Americanism is on the wane at last. All over the world, Americans are being fĂȘted once again as farsighted, liberating heroes.

link

It isn't anti-Americanism. It's anti-American foreign policy, it's being against policies that are illegal and immoral. It's being against the hypocrisy that is so prevalent in American foreign policy. America doesn't do anything where there isn't something in it for her.

Just do a quick count of the number of people that the USA killed in illegal/immoral wars in the 20th century. And she shows no sign of slowing down in this century.

America, the rich, is the stingiest foreign aid giver in the world. Most of America's aid is tied aid. The reasons are myriad.

This article is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. It sounds like a Mafia Don explaining that he's not really so bad, though he murders, cheats, lies, steals, ..., he gives money to his church.

Notice that there's never any remorse shown for the lives wrecked, people murdered, countries ruined, ... .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 09:28 pm
*yawn*
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 09:42 pm
Gerard Baker wrote:
Fortunately, while the American system may be forgivingly tolerant of people with wild and dangerous ideas, it doesn't generally let them run the country.

Huh? Then what happened in 2000 and 2004?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:50 pm
The U.S. is a good place to be grateful for the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and ignore that game where usually men kick a ball around.

The U.S. is just unique. Possibly it's too unique for some people to appreciate. There are U.S. citizens that would be happier if they were born where ancestors were 200 years ago? They don't appreciate the uniqueness of the U.S., I believe.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 12:32 am
genghis khan was unique.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:42 am
Foofie wrote:
The U.S. is a good place to be grateful for the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and ignore that game where usually men kick a ball around.

The U.S. is just unique. Possibly it's too unique for some people to appreciate. There are U.S. citizens that would be happier if they were born where ancestors were 200 years ago? They don't appreciate the uniqueness of the U.S., I believe.

Please explain Foofie.

In what ways do you think that the U.S. is unique? I assume when you say this you mean something more profound than soccer.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:05 am
JTT wrote:
tinygiraffe wrote:

Why the hell does the US even have a naval base in a sovereign country? The Phillippines told the USA to take a hike and they did. Why don't they get out of Cuba; because the USA has this overwhelming need to bully little countries.

How does having a base in a foreign country translate into a "need to bully little countries"?
The base in Cuba is ours because we signed a contract for a 99 year lease on that property.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:23 am
We all know this argument is really about left versus right, and the attacks on one another's character is based on differences of vision for a land we all (Americans) love. Jingoism seeks to outlaw peace; peace seeks to outlaw jingoism.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:32 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Jingoism seeks to outlaw peace; peace seeks to outlaw jingoism.

jingoism isn't nearly as unique as genghis khan, but only one place on earth can be more jingoistic than any other...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 06:07 pm
Well, France would be right out.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 06:38 pm
mysteryman wrote:

How does having a base in a foreign country translate into a "need to bully little countries"?
The base in Cuba is ours because we signed a contract for a 99 year lease on that property.

If you asked the Cuban government if they want the USA there, just what do you suppose the response would be?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 06:48 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Please explain Foofie.

In what ways do you think that the U.S. is unique? I assume when you say this you mean something more profound than soccer.

We let the world come to our shores, and all can participate as they best can. They can buy a franchise, be a salaried employee, join our military, get a civil service job at the city, state, or federal level. They can marry up (rarely done in many countries) or marry anyone willing to marry them. They can get an education, and pay off a loan. They can reinvent themselves with a legal name change. They can convert to any religion they want. They can join any political party they want. They can practice any religion they want. They can move anywhere in the 50 states they want. They can criticize the government at the city, state or federal level. They can become a fan of a baseball team, rather than a fan of a national soccer team which reflects nationalistic rivalries. They can appreciate that the country is 3,000 miles wide with every type of climate within its borders. They can speak the English language which is the language with the most words, having borrowed from every other language (as opposed to national language hubris), and can then give the most nuanced meaning to their thoughts. They can feel good that there never was an aristocracy to overcome, the U.S. never having had one. They can feel good that all that come to our shores adopt the U.S. in their own unique way, not taking away one iota from some esoteric historical national identity. They can die knowing their family, in the future, will likely never have to be concerned about an invading foreign country.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 06:52 pm
JTT wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

If you asked the Cuban government if they want the USA there, just what do you suppose the response would be?

Nosotros no queremos Los Americanos. Pero, donde nos podemos comprar un Chevrolet?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:07 am
Foofie wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Please explain Foofie.

We let the world come to our shores, and all can participate as they best can. They can buy a franchise, be a salaried employee, join our military, get a civil service job at the city, state, or federal level. They can marry up (rarely done in many countries) or marry anyone willing to marry them. They can get an education, and pay off a loan. They can reinvent themselves with a legal name change. They can convert to any religion they want. They can join any political party they want. They can practice any religion they want. They can move anywhere in the 50 states they want. They can criticize the government at the city, state or federal level. They can become a fan of a baseball team, rather than a fan of a national soccer team which reflects nationalistic rivalries. They can appreciate that the country is 3,000 miles wide with every type of climate within its borders. They can speak the English language which is the language with the most words, having borrowed from every other language (as opposed to national language hubris), and can then give the most nuanced meaning to their thoughts. They can feel good that there never was an aristocracy to overcome, the U.S. never having had one. They can feel good that all that come to our shores adopt the U.S. in their own unique way, not taking away one iota from some esoteric historical national identity. They can die knowing their family, in the future, will likely never have to be concerned about an invading foreign country.

Not one of those things is unique to the US.

Many countries respect (and have respected) immigrants much more. (By the way, the US has a questionable history with immigration. We banned people based solely on their race for much of our history, then we set up laws specifically designed to keep out Catholics).

Americans can't marry anyone they want to (accept in the state of Massachusetts). Most countries allow people to marry accross lines, and many countries are freer then the US in allowing same sex marriages.

People can get an education and a loan in most countries.

People can convert to any religion in most of the world (and in many countries minority religions are treated better then, say Muslims, are treated here).

People can move anywhere they want in many countries. People can (and do) criticize the government in many countries.

The US has had their form of an aristocracy... from the beginning of our country only "free white men" had the right to vote or own property. People still want to give Christians special priviledges in our society.

The "adopting the US" remark shows you haven't paid attention to the Republican primary debates.

And... the invading foreign country thing is not much solace when thousands of American are being shipped overseas to fight.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:10 am
For the record, I am a proud American... but this "We are the best and everyone else sucks" thing doesn't sit well with me.

I also find it ironic that they people who tend to say these things miss the point--

Free Speech, the Bill of Rights our history of dissent and protest and overcoming our own prejudices... all of these are much more important (and perhaps unique) than baseball teams and loans.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:44 am
ebrown_p wrote:
For the record, I am a proud American... but this "We are the best and everyone else sucks" thing doesn't sit well with me.

I also find it ironic that they people who tend to say these things miss the point--

Free Speech, the Bill of Rights our history of dissent and protest and overcoming our own prejudices... all of these are much more important (and perhaps unique) than baseball teams and loans.

If you want my responses, don't confuse other readers by putting colloquial expressions in quotes, and a reader then would believe that is what I said ("We are the best and everyone else..."). That is not what I said, or meant. I made no references to other countries. I made no comparisons.

And, just to keep the record straight, "marriage" is between a man and a woman. I have no objection to homosexuals having legal rights equal to heterosexuals in relationships, but "marriage" is between a male and female. If the language is changed with "XY/XX marriage," or "XY/XY - XX/XX marriage" that's great, I think, but let's not change Webster's dictionary.

And, I don't want to get into a debate on either of our opinions. You are entitled to your opinions, and I mine!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:04 am
I just think the contrast between these two quotes (properly attributed to you) is interesting...

Foofie wrote:

They can marry up (rarely done in many countries) or marry anyone willing to marry them.

Quote:

I have no objection to homosexuals having legal rights equal to heterosexuals in relationships, but "marriage" is between a male and female.

To the non-biased reader... these two statements might appear to contradict each other.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 02:18 pm
Foofie wrote:
If you want my responses, don't confuse other readers by putting colloquial expressions in quotes...

foofie, is it really that simple?
0 Replies