Prosecutor Arrested In Sex Sting Involving 5 yr old Girl

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 12:19 am
How do we define a pedophile ?

Its ez on the worst, most violent side of the spectrum:
a kidnapping rapist; but that is not the limit of it.

To the fullest extent of its reach, toward the other side of the spectrum,
in the non-violent direction,
how far shud the definition of a pedophile go ?

a kiss ?

a handshake ?

a wink ?

a conversation ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 12:42 am
Francis wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
The subject matter of the debate n dispute,
as I understand it, Francis,
is the morality of revenge ( perhaps, in kind ),
and the degree thereof, upon the first abuser.

There's NO morality in revenge.

Do u care to elaborate on your point of vu ?

It seems to me that honor is well served by getting even.
If I had ever had a loved one fall victim
to abuse, I 'd deem myself honor bound to avenge her;
failing to do that wud be cowardly.

If I had been the victim of said abuse,
maybe I cud overlook it and be MAGNANIMOUS; ... or NOT.

David
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 01:08 am
David - It's obvious to me that even I tried very hard, I couldn't make you comprehend the societal implications of revenge.

Peaceful societies take centuries of self discipline to achieve such goal.

One of the ways to do that, is a well administred and impartial justice.

Leaving the justice to privates, is allowing field to revenge.

Revenge destroys society coherence and leads to more violence, as there's always someone who will want to avenge the result of your revenge.

Saying that revenge is honor is pure nonsense.

Linking non-revenge with cowardness is just one of these myths one can see in unstable societies.

It goes the same way with guns possession...
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 05:12 am
Francis has explained the toll that taking revenge takes on a society, but I think it's even more markedly apparent what toll taking revenge takes on each individual who engages in it.

When someone takes revenge or chooses to avenge some act, they're doing so in a bid to reassert control. Those people who took your car effectively took the control of how you would get wherever you wanted to go out of your hands for a matter of hours or days- however long it took for you to contact your insurance agent and rectify the situation. And they made you feel that you wanted to take that control back- but on top of that- you wanted to disable or inconvenience them in some way- take control of some aspect of their life.

I think that's a really normal way to feel. The trouble with it is that you're allowing them to manipulate you even more completely than they ever set out to. In the end, you've relinquished (or have had forcibly taken) not only your mode of transportation- you've also chosen to relinquish control of your emotions and behaviour (and possibly your freedom if you resort to planned violence against them).

I'm not saying I wouldn't feel the same- probably not about my car- but if I walked in on a grown man raping my daughter- I'd probably at least try to disable him, if not kill him- to get him off of her. But after it was all over, I doubt I'd feel proud that I'd hurt or maimed someone- for whatever reason. And I can't imagine relishing the thought of doing something like that- which is what revengeful imagining is.

I think pedophiles get stuck in their sexual development. I think it probably does have something to do with having been inappropriately controlled as children, (many times sexually) to the point that they
associate that feeling of being in control with sexual release, so they find people who are easy to control (children) to attain that feeling again.
On the other hand there are people who associate being controlled with the same sexual release and they engage in other activities. I wonder if they also were sexually abused as children and are just acting it out in a different way.

I would like to ask this guy (the subject of this thread) if he tried to kill himself because he was ashamed (of his urges) or embarrassed (because he'd been publicly exposed). I think the reason that the movies The Woodsman and Little Children were so powerful and thought provoking around the issue is that the two pedophiles depicted were portrayed as having shame around their behavior and recognition that what they were doing was hurting these children. It would be interesting to me to know what percentage of pedophiles ever reach that point of admission and enlightenment.

In terms of what constitutes pedophilia- a wink- with an inappropriate triggering thought- is reason for worry in my book. In pedophilia- it's the thought that counts- for the pedophile certainly. Sadly, too many times those thoughts are not discernable until they are turned into actions against children.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 06:46 am
Thomas wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:
I'm guilty of thinking of a slow terrible torture for these maggots who hurt children.

For me certain subjects are better discussed face to face with people of the same feelings for humanity.

In that case, we better don't discuss this matter, face to face or online. You and I clearly don't have the same feelings for humanity.

Yes, many people think unpleasant things when angry because of a particular subject that is close to their heart but, that doess not mean they are going to do it.

Well, I would never want to chat with you either! Where did you get that idea!!!

Germans have a past reputation for murder you know, and I don't know you! You present yourself one way here but, I don't know how you really are.

Now, like I said before I don't have the need to argue with people, so this is my answer, and the end of it for me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 06:50 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Germans have a past reputation for murder you know, and I don't know you!

I'm usually quite polite. But it's hard to stay calm here.

AngeliqueEast wrote:
the end of it for me.

I'm sure, you'll find a forum which suits you better.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 06:55 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:

Do stay calm, Walter. (I know you will!)
That's simply not worth responding to.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 08:33 am
msolga wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:

Do stay calm, Walter. (I know you will!)
That's simply not worth responding to.

What Msolga said.

Good grief.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 03:16 am
Francis wrote:

Quote:
David - It's obvious to me that even I tried very hard,
I couldn't make you comprehend the societal implications of revenge.

However that may BE,
the societal implications of revenge shud be subordinated
to the rights and honor of the FATHER of society: the INDIVIDUAL.

Quote:
Peaceful societies take centuries of self discipline to achieve such goal.
One of the ways to do that, is a well administred and impartial justice.

Let us suppose that a government DEFAULTED
in its duty to avenge the individual citizen
by failing to employ the death penalty
under circumstances that cry out for its infliction.

The right to such vengeance then reverts to the individual victim
( or to his or her survivors ), if the predator was insufficiently punished.

Quote:
Leaving the justice to privates, is allowing field to revenge.

That seems definitionally accurate to me.

Quote:
Revenge destroys society coherence and leads to more violence,
as there's always someone who will want to avenge the result of your revenge.

This may well be true.

Quote:
Saying that revenge is honor is pure nonsense.

Anyone can say that ANYTHING is " nonsense ".

That is unhelpful in enabling us to evaluate
the merit nor the accuracy of your logical analysis
in reaching that conclusion; it only tells us that u have not been convinced,
for whatever reason, or for no reason.

Quote:
Linking non-revenge with cowardness
is just one of these myths one can see in unstable societies.

Each individual citizen
must decide for himself
what decency requires of him, so that he can live with himself.
For instance,
if anyone had ever attacked my mother,
I 'd feel honor bound to avenge her ( if possible )
unless government ( or anyone ) had already done so.

The stablility of society
is of secondary or tertiary importance to the individual citizen
in effecting this decision; it is a personal decision,
as to what he will do.

I analogize to the thoughts of Thomas Jefferson
in the Declaration of Independence:
"... He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions,
to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative Powers,
incapable of Annihilation,
have returned to the People at large for their exercise... "

If I were ever on a jury of an avenger
who was being criminally prosecuted for reasonably avenging
his friend or loved one, I 'd protect the avenger.

Quote:

It goes the same way with guns possession...

Certainly the retention of the means to defend one 's life and other property
is KEY to determination of whether a government
is free and decent or shud be overthrown,
like the English Empire in America.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 03:24 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Thomas wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:
I'm guilty of thinking of a slow terrible torture for these maggots who hurt children.

For me certain subjects are better discussed face to face with people of the same feelings for humanity.

In that case, we better don't discuss this matter, face to face or online. You and I clearly don't have the same feelings for humanity.

Yes, many people think unpleasant things when angry because of a particular subject that is close to their heart but, that doess not mean they are going to do it.

Well, I would never want to chat with you either! Where did you get that idea!!!

Germans have a past reputation for murder you know,
and I don't know you! You present yourself one way here but,
I don't know how you really are.

This insolence is an unfair abuse
of the 21st Century Germans in this forum.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:12 am
Francis wrote:
David - It's obvious to me that even I tried very hard, I couldn't make you comprehend the societal implications of revenge..

Well, it is as expected, David...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:43 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
... Well, I would never want to chat with you either! Where did you get that idea!!!

Germans have a past reputation for murder you know, and I don't know you! You present yourself one way here but, I don't know how you really are....

Yeah, those doggone Germans! I'm sure glad they don't think like some of us. If they did, they might throw out things on here like "Gee, at least we never enslaved Africans to pick our cotton before beating them and hanging them." That would add to the debate / conversation.

What the heck is with people bringing up this crap as if the history of a country clings to each future citizen?

I was speaking to someone from Holland the other day. He remarked how different it is here in the way people think in general. Made me think of this thread.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:07 pm
Francis wrote:
Francis wrote:
David - It's obvious to me that even I tried very hard,
I couldn't make you comprehend the societal implications of revenge..

Well, it is as expected, David...

That just shows how smart you ARE, Francis,
knowing what to expect.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:12 pm
squinney wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:
... Well, I would never want to chat with you either! Where did you get that idea!!!

Germans have a past reputation for murder you know, and I don't know you! You present yourself one way here but, I don't know how you really are....

Yeah, those doggone Germans! I'm sure glad they don't think like some of us. If they did, they might throw out things on here like "Gee, at least we never enslaved Africans to pick our cotton before beating them and hanging them." That would add to the debate / conversation.

What the heck is with people bringing up this crap as if the history of a country clings to each future citizen?

I was speaking to someone from Holland the other day.
He remarked how different it is here in the way people think in general.
Made me think of this thread.

I wonder whether that bore upon the difference
between collectivism and individualism.
David
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:45 pm
This is too cute, and funny! Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxnAr6pRt0
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 03:29 am
squinney wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:

I was speaking to someone from Holland the other day. He remarked how different it is here in the way people think in general. Made me think of this thread.

I do not at all agree with how this thread was personalized and the racist/nationalistic/biased direction it took. But the history of a country DOES cling to each of its future citizens- and being an American- I can only speak personally about how the history of this particular country has informed my view of people and how to treat them.

It always amazes me how people are able to brush aside what their forefathers engaged in, as if it doesn't have any bearing on what they have or became and how it affected what others have or became.
I think it's much more productive to acknowledge it, state your opposition to it, and maybe even apologize for it and do something productive to try to rectify the situation.

Although I didn't grow up in the south- that's where my forefathers came from and they were white and did participate in segregation. Their attitudes WERE and ARE different from mine. And probably different from those of people from other nations. That's to be expected...I don't know how it could be any different really- we're all shaped by our environment.

But if anything, watching them and listening to them made me aware of the toll racist treatment takes on an individual, and even as a small child, I can remember thinking about how unfair it was and how petty and ugly the people who engaged in it seemed to me. And it made me determined never to engage in it myself.

I can only assume the same is true of modern day Germans- and maybe the new generation of Rwandans- and maybe someday it will be true for future generations of Israelis and Palestinians. One can always hope.

And actually, although I am an American who does NOT believe in revenge and can't even think of one instance in which I fantasized about it against anyone I ever felt wronged by even for one second- I find the concept of it (revenge) more understandable from a human psychological standpoint than unprovoked cruelty or violence (even if only verbal) against another person.
And I see a heck of alot of that from people of all nationalities- many of them the same folks who say they would never engage in revenge, or capital punishment, or whatever it is that their particular society decries.

I guess I'm saying each person should check his or her own personal record of kindness in general and in everyday life. It's a cop out to say, well my society is kinder than yours, as if that certifies one as being a kinder and more forgiving individual.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 05:11 am
aidan wrote:
squinney wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:

I do not at all agree with how this thread was personalized and the racist/nationalistic/biased direction it took. But the history of a country DOES cling to each of its future citizens- and being an American- I can only speak personally about how the history of this particular country has informed my view of people and how to treat them.

It always amazes me how people are able to brush aside what their forefathers engaged in, as if it doesn't have any bearing on what they have or became and how it affected what others have or became.
I think it's much more productive to acknowledge it, state your opposition to it, and maybe even apologize for it and do something productive to try to rectify the situation.

Although I didn't grow up in the south- that's where my forefathers came from and they were white and did participate in segregation. Their attitudes WERE and ARE different from mine. And probably different from those of people from other nations. That's to be expected...I don't know how it could be any different really- we're all shaped by our environment.

But if anything, watching them and listening to them made me aware of the toll racist treatment takes on an individual, and even as a small child, I can remember thinking about how unfair it was and how petty and ugly the people who engaged in it seemed to me. And it made me determined never to engage in it myself.

I can only assume the same is true of modern day Germans- and maybe the new generation of Rwandans- and maybe someday it will be true for future generations of Israelis and Palestinians. One can always hope.

And actually, although I am an American who does NOT believe in revenge and can't even think of one instance in which I fantasized about it against anyone I ever felt wronged by even for one second- I find the concept of it (revenge) more understandable from a human psychological standpoint than unprovoked cruelty or violence (even if only verbal) against another person.
And I see a heck of alot of that from people of all nationalities- many of them the same folks who say they would never engage in revenge, or capital punishment, or whatever it is that their particular society decries.

I guess I'm saying each person should check his or her own personal record of kindness in general and in everyday life. It's a cop out to say, well my society is kinder than yours, as if that certifies one as being a kinder and more forgiving individual.

Well put Aidan!

Putting myself on check.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 06:31 am
Aidan wrote...

"But if anything, watching them and listening to them made me aware of the toll racist treatment takes on an individual, and even as a small child, I can remember thinking about how unfair it was and how petty and ugly the people who engaged in it seemed to me. And it made me determined never to engage in it myself."

This brought back very sad memories.

Another part of my family has a history of conquest by Spaniards, and Americans. I can't really relate to this part of my family history because it was long ago, and I did not exist.

Until I met Sophie...

I was very young, and I still could not go outside. Every once in a while I would hear a woman yelling, crying. Yelling to whoever heard not to trust the government, and crying for her lost family. She was the only survivor in her family of the holocaust.

When I was old enough to go outside I met Sophie for the first time. When she was not yelling she would stand with her apartment door open. I would stand one floor below in a corner just looking at her. She would rub this fish smelling oil on her face, and arms. Boy, did it smell bad but, she had the most beautiful soft skin I ever saw, and she was old. When I think about her I now know she must have known I was there watching her.

One day, two policemen, and two well dressed men came to get Sophie. I did not stay to watch them take her away.

I saw, heard, and lived in a way Sophie's pain, and loneliness. I don't know where they took her, maybe to a mental institution but I will never forget her. And, for a little while she was not alone. I was there with her in her pain, and will stay there in the recordings of time.

I was one of the fortunate ones that met older people who were an inspiration to me. Maybe some of you will remember the story of Mr. Santos another friend of mine when I was a child.

Man is doom to repeat. I wish I had hope like you do Aidan but the truth is I have no hope for mankind.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 12:06 pm
A thousand years ago in Scandinavia we lived in the Viking Age when vengeance was part of the law of the land. Anyone could be killed and it would not be considered murder, as long as the killer made his/her identity known to the family of the victim so as to give them the opportunity to exact blood revenge. This meant that justice lay in the hands not of individuals (as Omsig David seems to think) but of clans against which any poor individual was powerless. Power lay with the strongest clans and the weak had no redress.

The system was deeply flawed because it led to continuous feuding between the clans and led to the death of many excellent leaders. The countries where this system existed the longest (e.g. Norway and Finland) were eventually so weakened by the blood feuds that they fell under the occupation of their better organised neighbouring states, Sweden and Denmark, where a natural process towards state formation had outlawed revenge in favour of justice. In Sweden this was an evolutionary process in which feuding royal clans grew ever bigger until there was only one powerful clan left that extended its protection to all the people of Sweden. They outlawed the medieval trial by fire and instigated the first laws to ensure the rights of women. They started the state justice system that, at least on paper, treated all citizens as equal.

The individual citizens gave up the right to revenge in exchange for protection of their rights by the state, for justice offered a much better chance of equal protection for all. And despite all the human flaws and errors in the justice system, it has allowed countries to prosper. As the Vikings already used to say, with laws the land is built up, with lawlessness it lies barren.

Coming to the point of the thread. I believe that revenge is a very human reaction to suffering caused by others. I personally have had revenge fantasies and I certainly would have them again if someone, for example, would rape my daughter. However, already a long time ago smart people understood that unbridled revenge would destroy society. Therefore all old laws try to limit and mutate revenge into less harmful forms. The bible already said an eye for an eye (not kill the perpetrator and his whole family, pets included) and championed arbitration in which a death could be compensated for with money (weregild among the Vikings). Unfortunately, revenge is supported by the notion of honour, a totally irrational concept that makes people into murderers under peer pressure. It makes fathers kill their daughters as vengeance for hurting the "honour" of the family, or men kill their neighbours over a trifle for fear that their peers will consider them weak and without honour.

I choose not to be with that crowd. I believe that justice should be as objective as possible and that revenge should be banned and that the concept of honour should reflect law-abiding peaceful citizens and not those who subscribe to violence as a way to solve the ills of society. That said I am a strong supporter of a strict judicial system with very long prison sentences for serious offenses (since the task of the system is to protect society). In my opinion convicted child molesters should never ever be released again, but I do not wish for their torture or destruction. It would degrade me to do so.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 05:00 pm
THIS JUST IN!!
This just in! The coward took his life, instead of answering to his behavior.
From nbc6.com:
"DETROIT -- A federal prosecutor from Florida accused of flying to Detroit last month to molest a 5-year-old girl committed suicide in his cell in federal prison.
According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons in Washington, Assistant U.S. Attorney John D.R. Atchison was found unresponsive, taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead. A previous suicide attempt was foiled in September.
Officials did not say how Atchison killed himself or whether he was on suicide watch.

Atchison was arrested last month at Detroit Metropolitan Airport after weeks of alleged Internet conversations between the prosecutor and a detective posing as the mother of a 5-year-old girl.
He was carrying presents for the girl, including a doll and hoop earrings, and also had sexual materials, including petroleum jelly, according to police.
He lived in Gulf Breeze, Fla., near Pensacola."
0 Replies