married and started affair with an old flame....

Montana

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:40 pm
I can't speak for Marty, but I can say she's one cool cat Cool
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:37 am
Quote:
Okay. This is just weird. Martybarker, you tried to help me connect with outaideas

Thought you were needing to talk with someone. I also may have misinterpreted things but I thought you were contimplating an affair rather than having already started. Maybe I need to read back a few pages.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:38 am
Thanks Montana!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:45 am
Quote:
We're both ok with it. Anyways, the trouble we're having is finding enough time together and places to go. We both have small kids so schedules are tough. Any suggestions???

No, sorry! Sounds like things would be much more convenient if the two of you made a decision that would be honest and right for everyone involved. This not only includes the spouses but the children as well.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 02:08 am
martybarker wrote:
Quote:
Okay. This is just weird. Martybarker, you tried to help me connect with outaideas

Thought you were needing to talk with someone. I also may have misinterpreted things but I thought you were contimplating an affair rather than having already started. Maybe I need to read back a few pages.

I just went back a few posts and I caught that too.

Jake, are you already having an affair?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 02:20 am
I think there is a mix up here. One member has already had an affair and the other is contemplating the idea.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 02:25 am
jake123 wrote:
I'm the guy cheating on his wife. What's the deal?

TTH

I'm refering to Jakes statement here.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 02:34 am
jake123 wrote:
3) You are correct. I do fully understand what this will do to my wife and I am considering it anyway.

jake123 wrote:
I am in a situation where I am going to cause emotional harm to many people.
To me these sentences in these posts mean he is considering the idea. Not that he has already started an affair.

Edit:to add this sentence also

jake123 wrote:
I have not made any decisions about anything. I do not take this lightly at all.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 06:06 am
TTH wrote:
jake123
I don't feel that your circumstances make you a "bad person". It is a shame though that you feel you cannot post on the issue anymore. Some members on this forum pre-judge others quite often and also feel they know it all.

If your passive/aggressive statement above is directed at me:

Please tell me where I said that anyone was a "bad person" and where I am pre-judging anyone. And while you're at it - please also take a moment and explain how you've determined that I "know it all".

BTW: According to Webster's - your statement above would clearly be considered as 'judgmental' wouldn't it TTH? :wink:
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 06:39 am
Re: Thank you for your input.
jake123 wrote:
1) I don't recall asking for any sympathy from anyone.

2) I am ashamed of myself for this. But I don't feel guilty for the love I have for the "other woman"

3) You are correct. I do fully understand what this will do to my wife and I am considering it anyway. Divorce, if not imminent, is highly possible.

4) There hasn't been any honesty in my marriage on my part from the beginning.

5) The only thing that "fell into my lap" was the intense emotional reaction I had from seeing my old friend after all this time.
And actually I did see her that night at the suggestion of my wife. She knows we were still friendly over the years.

Baddog, I respect what you are saying. And it is true: I am certainly messing up my life. I'm messing up life for the woman I married. No one likes to believe they are a bad person. I certainly don't like it, but I guess that is what I am.

I said before, I am not here to argue and I will probably not post on this issue anymore. I know what kind of person this makes me. In retrospect, I take back the comment about not being self-centered because this is self-centered. So be it.

Maybe I should be called baddog. Oh well, I used to have a dog named Jake.

I am not here to argue either and despite what TTH eludes - I did not say or infer that you're a bad person. However you are clearly doing hurtful things to others for your own perceived gain - as you claim to realize. The truth is that you and those being affected by your actions are in my thoughts & prayers.

To others on here: Do not look for me to sugar-coat anything that involves infidelity - especially when kids are involved! If that offends you - do not read my posts. Like I said earlier - adultery (and all of the collateral damage involved) is one of the worst actions that a person can do to others. Coddling is too often looked at as condoning by the offender. Offenders in these cases usually have a (hopefully temporary) warped sense of reality and any action that appears to be neutral by an outsider is considered to be supportive by the affairees.

If you want to know more about it - take a look at this site: www.marriagebuilders.com. Go to the forums and read a little on 'General Questions II'. Other very good info is here: http://www.familydynamics.net/Intervention.htm#understanding. Read the section titled: 'Understanding The Process of Self-Delusion'

Perhaps reading this bit of info will offer some insight that you had not considered.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:02 am
I'll admit to not reading all the posts here...

That said, I think having feelings for someone else rather than your marriage partner, is a huge sign that something is wrong with your marriage.

I do believe that spouses should be faithful. Unless it's discussed and understood that they won't be. Otherwise it's a betrayal of someone you promised to love and be true to.

I think anyone in the position of contemplating an affair should really take the time to think on it... Decide if you want to work on the marriage or get out...

Being honest, with yourself, is often harder than just going with what feels good.
And sometimes having an affair is a way to make a decision without actually making one. (Things are out of my control!)
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 09:20 am
When I found out about my ex's affair he became very angry and defensive. He even tried to confince me of being at fault for our marriage falling apart. To me the anger was a true sign of guilt. I think deep down inside he must realize that his actions hurt a lot of people.
If he were unhappy, he should have been talking with me and a counseler, not another woman.

Jake, have you discussed your unhappiness with your spouse? And so you know, I'm not here to judge you. I'm just stating some facts that happened to me that may shed some light on how hurtful your decision may be. I believe a marriage can be saved if both partners agree to compromise and work. But this is if both people truely love each other and their family unit.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:18 am
baddog1 wrote:
TTH wrote:
jake123
I don't feel that your circumstances make you a "bad person". It is a shame though that you feel you cannot post on the issue anymore. Some members on this forum pre-judge others quite often and also feel they know it all.

If your passive/aggressive statement above is directed at me:

Please tell me where I said that anyone was a "bad person" and where I am pre-judging anyone. And while you're at it - please also take a moment and explain how you've determined that I "know it all".

BTW: According to Webster's - your statement above would clearly be considered as 'judgmental' wouldn't it TTH? :wink:
My statements were not directed at you.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:20 am
Re: Thank you for your input.
jake123 wrote:
1) No one likes to believe they are a bad person. I certainly don't like it, but I guess that is what I am.
My statement was directed at jake123 himself.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:23 am
jake123 wrote:
I probably won't disappear from this community, I just don't want to discuss this particular subject anymore. I will judge myself and I will be judged by God that's nobody elses business.
In case no one caught this, he stated he doesn't want to discuss the subject anymore.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:43 am
Maybe Jake is done discussing this but maybe it's helpful to some others to keep discussing it. Talking helps me and I've come a long way in the past 4 years.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:47 am
martybarker wrote:
Maybe Jake is done discussing this but maybe it's helpful to some others to keep discussing it. Talking helps me and I've come a long way in the past 4 years.
You make a good point martybarker. Wouldn't it be more helpful to start a new thread. That way it is fresh and mix-ups don't happen on the poster.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:46 am
Well, if he/she falls in love with another person while married, there is
nothing one can do. Feelings can't be controlled. Stranger things happened.

However, honesty towards your spouse is imperative. Out of respect
for your long term marriage partner, you have to tell her/him of your
feelings for another person. As hurtful as it will be, it will be worse
if the spouse is betrayed and lied to.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:49 am
Yes!

I wish I could state what I mean as clearly.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:52 am
You did, and always do, caribou Smile
0 Replies