Bridge Collapse - The Question Is...

Gargamel

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:16 am
It's all subjective. Plenty of people seem to think cjhsa has poor taste, but I doubt anyone really believes he thinks it's funny that some people died in a bridge collapse.

Please apply some scrutiny to distinguish the subject of a joke. The bridge collapse is simply the context. Nowhere did he say, "Ha-ha, dead people under a bridge!"

What a humorless world we'd live in if the most painful subjects were "off-limits."
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:40 am
Chai wrote:
happycat....do you feel it would be appropriate if I started a thread making a joke about the woman who had 4 fetuses hidden in various drawers and cabinets around her house? Oh, maybe about the fact she owned a cab company, and the fact babies have a habit of being born in cabs....you know, tying it all in, in a really funny way?

Please, don't bother to try to explain the difference to me, I'm sure you feel there is one. (actually, in that case, I believe you think that case is so sad largely because it happened where you live, and things like that "aren't supposed to happen" there....like there're supposed to happen someplace else and that would be better? I've noticed you saying other times about something being "sad" and it's mainly because you don't feel the world is working the way you think it should.

For arguments sake, let's say someone was in that portable toilet when the bridge collapsed, but the toilet was maybe a few yards further down the road and he died in it. Would that be funny? What if it happened where you live? Somehow, I doubt you would be thinking it's funny if it was a mile from your house.

Nothing about this bridge collapsing and people dying over it is humorous....sorry.

That'a a whole lotta "what if's" there Chai

And to respond to your question about the babies....I don't give a crap who makes jokes about it. If something is funny, I'll laugh. If I don't think it's funny - but others do - I'll let them laugh all they want. No skin off my nose. It's not up to me to dictate what others find humorous.

Just for the heck of it, go ahead and try to make that joke you're talking about - the one about the babies and cabs and stuff....because I'm not sure you have enough of a sense of humor to do that.

Here's one: Cab fare in OC is so expensive, I know one woman who had to put up her first born child just to get from 140th St. to Division St!

har de har har
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:18 pm
happycat wrote:
It's not up to me to dictate what others find humorous

Actually, that's exactly what you've been doing...telling people they should lighten up because it was all a joke.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:20 pm
Chai wrote:
happycat wrote:

Actually, that's exactly what you've been doing...telling people they should lighten up because it was all a joke.

That what was a joke? the bridge collapse? I don't see where I've said that in any way, shape for form.
But I did see the humor in cjhsa's first post on this thread.

Geesh.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:22 pm
Can't you just see the guy walking out the porta potty like "I'm so sorry about that!".
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:23 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Can't you just see the guy walking out the porta potty like "I'm so sorry about that!".

Laughing
Shhhh....don't tell Chai this, but when my 14yr old saw that pic he said "that musta been one big fart!"

(but that comment takes us to the other thread about why fart jokes are funny)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:43 pm
happycat wrote:
Chai wrote:
happycat wrote:

That what was a joke? the bridge collapse? I don't see where I've said that in any way, shape for form.
But I did see the humor in cjhsa's first post on this thread.

Geesh.
Rolling Eyes

Look happycat, I'm not going to fight with you. The point is you're taking an isolated item from a picture, and trying to use that to make your point.

If the object of the joke was supposed to be that a guy coming out of a portable toilet was funny, then a picture of one sitting out in the middle of a field would have done just as well.

What was "supposed" to be funny about the picture was that that the portable toilet was used in the context of the bridge collapsing. Obviously, the bridge collapsing was supposed to be the only thing that was making the "joke" work.

If no one had died, if no one had been injured, if a bridge had simply collapsed, then yes, I supposed it would have been humorous.

However, that's not what happened. People died.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:44 pm
Chai, did you even read my initial post? Geesh.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:51 pm
yes
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:03 pm
parados wrote:
Frankly cjsh.. I am left wanting to say things to you that I can't post on here..

You are nothing but a stupid uncaring **********.

You are only just coming to this realization?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:12 pm
I don't want to fight with you either Chai.
Last night I watched the news; I saw the awful mess in MN, I saw the rescuers, I saw the smashed cars....I know that people died, I know that people were hurt.
There is nothing I can do to help. Thankfully, I am far removed from that situation.
But there are terrible things on the news every minute of every day...and comedy gets us through. I don't want to dwell on that sadness because I don't want to become immobilzed by grief, which is an easy thing to do in today's world.

And I reiterate, it was just potty humor in the purest sense. No more, no less.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:26 pm
Port-a-potty humor, in this case.

I think my posts on the other bridge collapse thread indicate my sympathy for the victims and sincerity in desire to find the cause, whatever it may be.

But the reason for the responses directed at me typically have little to do with my sense of humor. Every red blooded American male that looked at that USA Today picture today had the same, black humor thought.

You can bet a few A2K'ers probably wished I was on that bridge. Those are the folks you really need to worry about.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:27 pm
cjhsa - I saw your post that disappeared (either by your own hand or the powers that be) and I have to say I disagree on that point.

I think there are many wonderful people on A2K, but it's just like any message board; misinterpretations abound since you can't see the poster's face, hear the tone of their voice or know them well enough to know when they're serious or joking. All you have to go on is their printed word.

I saw your first post, and the pic, and I chuckled and moved on. I didn't mean to mock the tragedy and I'm sure you didn't either.
But some people got it stuck in their craw.
Everyone is different.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:28 pm
I rewrote it.

And look, there's one of those I spoke of.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:37 pm
I never even noticed that it was in the Humor forum. I just look at the Topics column.
So, maybe you're right gargamel - it doesn't belong in Humor. Maybe that's what ticked off some people. Maybe it should've just gone in General.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:46 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Every red blooded American male that looked at that USA Today picture today had the same, black humor thought.

Now cjhsa decides who is worthy of being a "red blooded American male."

(Real men know how to hyphenate.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 02:04 pm
I remember an incident that happened years ago. Anybody remember Don Rickles? For those who are too young to remember, Don Rickles was an insult comedian. He had a wiseass remark about everything and everybody, to everything and everybody. No one was exempt from his acid remarks.

Well, one day he was on a show with Lorne Greene, who played Ben Cartwright, the father on Bonanza. Lorne was reciting something or other, and flubbed badly. I stiffened up. I was sure that Rickles would say something nasty to Greene. Well, he said nothing. He could have taken a cheap shot, but he didn't. He knew when it was appropriate to be insultingly funny, and when it wasn't. My respect for the man really grew after that incodent.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 02:06 pm
Then blame the guys in my office. I stole the idea. Geesh.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 02:07 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I remember an incident that happened years ago. Anybody remember Don Rickles? For those who are too young to remember, Don Rickles was an insult comedian. He had a wiseass remark about everything and everybody, to everything and everybody. No one was exempt from his acid remarks.

Well, one day he was on a show with Lorne Greene, who played Ben Cartwright, the father on Bonanza. Lorne was reciting something or other, and flubbed badly. I stiffened up. I was sure that Rickles would say something nasty to Greene. Well, he said nothing. He could have taken a cheap shot, but he didn't. He knew when it was appropriate to be insultingly funny, and when it wasn't. My respect for the man really grew after that incodent.

With all due respect Phoenix, I don't see where that is at all relative to this. To insult or make fun of a person face to face on tv is not the same as making a joke about an inanimate object in a photograph.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 02:11 pm
That's correct - the death didn't hear it.
0 Replies