A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 07:04 am

a fella can daydream, can't he?

as some of you know, i'm not a fan of the white shite... or cold weather, for that matter.

it goes back to the days before we lived in the house, before the days of toiling away with a shovel or snow-blower.

it has always been about footing... solid footing, or a lack thereof.

slush puddles.
dry, crunchy snow.
frozen rain.
white-out conditions.

black ice is the worst.
you don't know its there until you are on top of it, and often wind up with your ass on the ground because of it.

a glance at the forecast shows highs in the upper 50's for the next few days (we might even hit 60 -- a rarity for january around here).

every mild day is a day without snow.
in other words, a good day for yours truly...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 49 • Views: 203,439 • Replies: 1,606

Noddy24

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 07:55 am
You didn't even mention the potential of reasonable priced heating oil.

We've had one oil delivery this heating season--at a cost of $400. Perhaps we'll use only three tanks this winter instead of four?

My bulbs are confused and sprouting.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:03 am
Snowless here in the Decaying Apple as well. Heard mention the other day that 2006 saw no snow accumulations in Central Park. I miss the cold weather; although, not the snow and ice.

Weather forecasts for the immediate future show more warm weather...could it be? A winter without snow?

Of course the down side of a snowless and ice free winter is the free ice skating on windy days. Is anything more exciting than to be standing on a sheet of ice as the wind begins shoving you forward?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:29 am
Re: A SNOW-LESS Winter IN Bahstin...
Region Philbis wrote:
a fella can daydream, can't he?

as some of you know, i'm not a fan of the white shite... or cold weather, for that matter.

it goes back to the days before we lived in the house, before the days of toiling away with a shovel or snow-blower.

it has always been about footing... solid footing, or a lack thereof.

slush puddles.
dry, crunchy snow.
frozen rain.
white-out conditions.

black ice is the worst.
you don't know its there until you are on top of it, and often wind up with your ass on the ground because of it.

a glance at the forecast shows highs in the upper 50's for the next few days (we might even hit 60 -- a rarity for january around here).

every mild day is a day without snow.
in other words, a good day for yours truly...

move

possibly to Oz.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:49 am
As I sit here with my shirt off drinking iced water....

I cant help wondering if your current weather means we might get another dry winter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:59 am
I find it extremely freaky.

I love snow. I have mixed feelings about the rest of it.

My dad sent me some pictures of the snowfall they finally got in Minneapolis and I'm jealous. I think at least one snowman should be built and one really great sledding trip should be made every winter.

But I admit that the warmer weather is nice in a lot of ways.

32 right now, though. Also clear blue sky, doesn't look like we'll get snow in this particular window of cold anytime soon.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:06 am
Dammit....you better not jinx anything.

Thank you, global warming. I'm going to spray some aerosol cans outside to celebrate.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:04 am
Re: A SNOW-LESS Winter IN Bahstin...
wabbit wrote:
move

possibly to Oz.

but its much easier and CHEAPER to complain about it here...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:33 am
I will hope for just a little snow - I mean Santa paid for snow pants, boots, gloves the works for the little ones. It would be just such a waste to not get to wear them!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 12:10 pm
We had a major blizzard the day Mr B was supposed to fly to New Orleans (Dec 1), but it hasn't snowed since. 25 consecutive days above average in Chicago and will continue above average for the next week or so. Very strange....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 12:30 pm
My neighbor told me yesterday that this snow we're having in Albuquerque is really freaky, never happens. Usually if it snows at all it falls and lasts on the ground for an hour or so, max - I've had about a foot in my yard for a whole bunch of days now.

As I posted elsewhere, I'd grown up with snow in Chicago and New York, but had never driven in it until last week. But then I still hadn't, because with that storm the streets were still pretty clear. Harrumph, with this week's storm, for the first day or two they were only plowing the major highways and a few main streets.

I had enough food and bevvies at hand and am not presently employed, so I just tucked in at my warm house until yesterday. Diane had previously driven when we went out a couple of times the last few days and I watched how she handled various streets and icy patches. Then I got a grip on myself and brushed the, oh, ten inches of snow off my car, got it warmed up, and trundled to the grocery store not so far away. Hey! I can do this!!

It'd be better if I owned some boots....
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 01:09 pm
The weather here is even weirder than usual.

Finally, a big bunch of beautiful snow! Love the stuff. Trudging through it is bliss.

But it supposed to get very warm again today or tomorrow. No!

Seriously has me worried. If this is global warming, I hate it. Might have to move further north.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 03:23 pm
flushd wrote:
I hate it. Might have to move further north.

Get a big place. I'm going with you.
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 03:27 pm
Don't get used to it. Old Mother Nature is just giving us a false sense of security. In another couple of weeks she'll smack us a good one.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:36 am
$384 and change for earl last month. A mild winter would be awfully good for the ole pocketbook.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:34 am
Quote:
New York City saw a November and December without snow for the first time since 1877. And New Jersey had its warmest December since records started being kept 111 years ago.
http://post-journal.com/articles.asp?articleID=11061

Quote:
This year could be Boston's warmest on record, surpassing 1953 and 1949, when the average annual temperature was 53.6 degrees, said Charles Foley , a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Taunton.

This month, 0.4 inches of snow has dusted the city, putting Boston on track for the fourth least-snowy December since 1872, when official record keeping began.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/12/26/many_didnt_warm_to_snowless_holiday/

Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:13 pm
This sucks. Mud mud mud all damn winter. And no hard freeze to kill the parasite larvae on the ground. We need our cleansing long freeze in the midwest.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:34 pm
The problem of carniverous bugs occured to me, but my particular inconvenience right now is an upright freezer that needs defrosting and a back stoop with the temperatures well above freezing.

Usually I can empty the freezer and put my frozen bounty out on the back steps in laundry baskets to stay cold. This year is not usual.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:52 pm
eatern lake ontario :
not a speck of snow and 10 C , probably 12 C - this is weird .
listened to 'CBC - report on business' yesterday . the st. lawrence seaway authrity and big shipping companies hope that the warming trend will continue in the years to come . the want the st. lawrence seaway to be open year-round - now usually closed during january and february .

shipping companies have already started to order barges at dutch shipyards to take care of (hopefully) increased seaway traffic .
great lakes shipping companies have also started to inspect older lakers that had been laid-up years ago to determine if they can be put back into service .

year-round seaway traffic could reduce truck and rail traffic considerably leading to lower fuel consumption and cost per ton/mile .

going back about ten to twenty years , lake ontario and the st. lawrence river were usually frozen by late december/early january - it's all changed .
should lower the heating bill , but what about the cost of air-conditioning next summer ?
i had the snow tires mounted in mid-december , i wonder if they'll get a workout this year ?
but i also remember getting stranded on highway 401 in a snowstorm west of montreal in early may - the year was 1962 or 63 .
hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:32 pm
patiodog wrote:
This sucks. Mud mud mud all damn winter. And no hard freeze to kill the parasite larvae on the ground. We need our cleansing long freeze in the midwest.

I've been thinking about that. We've had some real freezes, they just haven't coincided with precipitation. I don't know how deep they went before weather got warmer. Does anyone know what the dangers are of beasties living through the winter, and what's required to kill them?
0 Replies