Hey Boston! Whaddaya got?

Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 05:23 pm
I'm so lucky to have so many awesome people with great personal knowledge of Boston to get information from. My son and I are traveling to spend a week with my Bostonian daughter!!! I wanted to go to Fenway one night, but the Sox are on the road while we're in town (bummer).

Of course, we'll show Zack Faneuil Hall. We'll be stalking around her stomping grounds in Medford and her favorite stuff a couple of days, but hey, we'd like to experience famously Boston stuff, too.

So, Boston. What do YOU think is famously - or secretly - mostly Boston?

Thank you so much anyone - for things you loved about Boston. Muah!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 5,592 • Replies: 71

jespah

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:31 pm
@Lash,
Hmm, depends whatcha wanna do. History stuff? Food? Art?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:37 pm
@Lash,
My two favorite Boston spots:
The MFA and the Museum of Science. The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is a very close third.
Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:41 pm
@jespah,
Yay, Jespah!!! ANYthing you feel is above the average. We are arty, sporty, eat-y, and appreciators of almost everything. We know about the historical cemetery in town with P. Revere.

We have Faneuil on our itinerary. I sincerely covet a few of your best of the best ideas on anything peculiarly Boston!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you, Tsar!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 07:19 pm
I have one - Mount Auburn Cemetery. I remember LittleK used to photograph there a lot; I think it's mostly in Cambridge, may go a bit into Watertown. My grandmother was born kittycorner from there. First rural garden cemetery, so it says in my Design on the Land book, developed in 1831. Not first just in Boston, but apparently anywhere. May or may not have inspired parks to happen.

I did go see Harvard when I was there, just to look at it quickly. Oh, there it is.

I was only in Boston twice, that I remember, but it's big place in old family stories.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 07:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, from the National Park Service -

http://www.nps.gov/nr/twhp/wwwlps/lessons/84mountauburn/84mountauburn.htm
Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 07:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you, lady.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:44 am
I hosted a reunion of guys from my previous life here in Boston a few years
ago. One thing everybody liked was the "hop-on, hop-off" trolley tour. It
will take you on a tour and allow you to stay at each stop as long as you
want and then pick up the next tour trolley that comes along.

I'll be back with more stuff later.
George

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:52 am
@George,
Concerning Mehfuh (AKA Medford), my favorite place to eat there is
Bistro 5 over in West Medford.
George

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 07:10 am
@George,
And speaking of bistros, if you like French bistro cuisine, try Petit Robert
(468 Commonwealth Ave.). If you go there for a Sunday brunch, you don't
have to feed the meter. Free parking in Boston!
George

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 08:13 am
@George,
My favorite historical site in Boston is Old Ironsides, the USS Constitution,
which is the oldest commissioned warship in the US Navy.
She is magnificent!

The best way to get there is by the Inner Harbor Ferry at Long Wharf.
Long Wharf is near the Aquarium and just across the Greenway from
Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market.

More about the Greenway later.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 08:18 am
@George,
George! Thanks a bunch. Documenting your awesome suggestions.

The Sox are out of town during our visit...grrrrr. Does anyone know if theres a way to get in Fenway for a peek? I know that sounds weeird, but my son wanted to see it. Guess I can call.
Lash

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 08:20 am
Constitution on the list, yay....and got propah pronunciation for Mehfah. Hahaha!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 08:33 am
@Lash,
They do tours.

The guide will tell you that when it opened in 1912, it did not make the
headlines in Boston. And then he or she will ask if you know why.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 09:01 am
@Lash,
If can't make a red sox game - you could still do a tour of Fenway -- at least you get to see the park.

Some other things I like -- habor cruises --- you can take the cheaper route and instead of doing the touristy harbor cruises, you can take the ferries that go to the islands... fun just to visit a couple of the bigger islands (think picnics and exploring forts).

I love to just walk around the north end - get a coffee/desert and pop into a restaurant that appeals to you. If you see someone that looks like a local - ask them for what restaurant they like -- I've done that myself before even living in the area and have yet to be disappointed.

If you do love sports and are mobile meaning with car - you could always try a minor league team -- there is one in Brockton and one in Lowell - my guess about a half hour drive to either.

Also - look and see if there is anything on the esplande - often times there are concerts or movies.

Many things could depend when you coming -- there are feast days in the north end; all sorts of stuff that goes on.

If you want to venture out of Boston - nice areas to visit - Rockport, Plymouth, Salem. I love Rockport, personally - small seaside town.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 09:09 am
@Linkat,
Now I'm remembering the fairly recent new museum - the one right at the water -the Institute of Contemporary Art, designed, I think, by Diller Scofidio and Renfro. I'd see it at least for the building.. but I also like contemp art, and like seeing how museums work or don't work.

http://www.smartdestinations.com/boston-attractions-and-tours/institute-contemporary-art/_attr_Bos_Att_Institute_of_Contemporary_Art.html
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 09:14 am
@ossobuco,
I still haven't been to the Institute of Contemporary Art. Which reminded me of another geeky hotspot/favorite place of mine:
The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum which was designed by I.M. Pei.
http://i60.tinypic.com/jgs8k5.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 09:16 am
Lash, I think this all means you have to make two trips, or three.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 09:19 am
@ossobuco,
Yes if you like modern art - you should go there.
0 Replies