A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 12:11 am
@Setanta,
Sounds like an excellent ride. One of the few things I liked about Chicago was making that transition from the subway to the elevated train on the Blue Line. Not even anything scenic about it, it's just this sudden realization of what an enormous undertaking the city (any modern city, really) is -- in a more poetic way than being one of a million cars stuck in traffic.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 02:58 am
First round of shoveling out of the way. Some veritable structures being created as the wind swirls around the house and trees out there. Good stuff.

And so to bed. Bon nuit.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:19 am

the system is now blanketing about 90% of new england with WS.
rhode island is getting the brunt of the icy mix.
look how the rain extends all the way down the coast...

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2286/46522338.jpg

we are due to get another 3-5" of snow/mix/rain on top of the 6" we got yesterday.
clearing will allegedly occur this afternoon, followed by plummeting temps...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:54 am
Well, it finally hit the east side. I just came in from shovelling. Not too bad yet, but coming down steadily, and somewhat heavily. I expect to be out there with shovel again and again. About 2" so far.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:52 am
@Setanta,
We are expecting 40cm west of you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:03 am
You may get it. The lake effect, which usually spares Toronto (because the weather fronts come from the north and west), is coming from the south and west, and may dump a lot of snow on us, and certainly will dump a lot of snow on you.
jespah

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:25 am
@Setanta,
Looks like, right now, snow is over NY and all 6 NE states. Weather Channel says we're supposed to get anout 3 - 7". A 50% or more chance of snow goes into the wee hours of tomorrow morning. On Thursday, the low will be 9 above. I wonder if I'll get to Worcester on Friday.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:31 am
How far is Worcester?
jespah

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:37 am
@Setanta,
It's a 1+ hour drive. Or about 45 minutes, the way my boss drives when weather conditions are good (which they won't be).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 09:35 am
We got another maybe 4 inches of something wet and slushy - can't tell from inside. I'm headed out to check it out.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 09:47 am
we didn't get much snow, but lots of drifting, had a good foot plus high drift running right down the middle of the driveway (about 50 feet long, 8 feet wide), started shovelling got about half done and the neighbour who was finished snow blowing came over and helped with the rest

usually it's been a matter of just pushing a few inches of snow to either side of the drive way, but this stuff had a layer of freezing rain in it as well, lots of fun
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 10:09 am
This snow is the polar (ha!) opposite of the snow we got yesterday: slushy and heavy.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 02:26 pm
My front porch has a flat roof and the snow has been piling up on it. It was making
me really nervous, so I climbed out through a window and onto it. The snow was
over my knees. I shoveled it all off into an already huge pile in my front yard.

When I was finished, I was about to jump off into that pile. Just then the Lovely
Bride walked out the driveway and looked up at me. I climbed back in the window.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 02:38 pm
In Cville right now it is 66 degrees. Bizarre.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 02:44 pm
Just went to shovel today's 'snow' from around my car (I did the walkway earlier). There's a nice crust building on top of all that snow. The snow-plow ridge that was smack up against my car was hard to get into with the shovel. There's a driveway in front of my car which has a pool of slushy water-ice mix. That should be interesting to get through tomorrow morning.

70% chance of snow tonight.....
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 02:56 pm
@George,
Discretion is the better part of valor . . . and relationships . . .
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:00 pm
Littlek posted this in another thread, and it certainly seemed apropos for this one too, thanks, kris. Is this our South End or one in Illinois or somewhere else?
 http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs254.snc6/180288_1790659816890_1551453686_31834010_3031943_n.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:04 pm
@George,
That was probably lucky for you - I could just see you know - stuck in the snow up to your neck - unable to dig yourself out, flaying useless until full exhaustion and then the lovely bride gets to witness you in all your glory.
George

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:04 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Discretion is the better part of valor . . . and relationships . . .

Woulda been fun, tho.
Of course, it might have taken the rest of the afternoon to extract myself.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:05 pm
@littlek,
Well if you just went to work like the rest of us "essential" workers (aka saps) then your car would have already been dug out and no fighting with ice covered snow.