A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

JPB

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:35 pm
I'm thinking with 8 weeks left of January and February, there's plenty of time for a deep freeze to hit. I'm enjoying the 40s while we have 'em.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:38 pm
Weatherchannel wrote:
Record Report

RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA 1223 PM EST FRI JAN 5 2007
...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET IN BOSTON...

AT 1221 PM...A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 63 DEGREES WAS SET AT BOSTON/S LOGAN AIRPORT. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 62 DEGREES SET IN 1993. A FINAL RECORD REPORT WILL BE ISSUED LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT WHEN THE DAILY MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED.

dunno what the january 6th record is, but they said it might hit 65...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:41 pm
soz :
from our experience in eastern ontario ... we've always had more bugs of all kinds after a mild winter .
our weather service has actually warned that a continuing mild winter might result in a greater risk of 'west nile virus' carrying mosquitoes .
hbg YIKES !
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:44 pm
Not sure, but there is also a problem that the black bears in NH are not hibernating as a result of the warmer temperatures. If anything these will make pretty nasty tired bears.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:47 pm
Here is an article I found about hibernating animals and warm temps…
Frogs and other animals that usually hibernate in winter may be very weak by spring because of this winter's balmy temperatures, says an Ottawa researcher.
What we suspect is going to happen is that as springtime comes, these animals will have run out of fuels and they'll either die, they'll not be able to reproduce, or they will have some other catastrophic event.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/05/hibernate.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:50 pm
JPB wrote:
I'm enjoying the 40s while we have 'em.

Well, those of us in the 50's and older can enjoy these warmer winter days as well you youngsters :wink:

(Nice new avatar, btw, JPB)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:56 pm
JPB wrote:
I'm thinking with 8 weeks left of January and February, there's plenty of time for a deep freeze to hit. I'm enjoying the 40s while we have 'em.

40s - Boston is 62 right now!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:01 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
JPB wrote:
I'm enjoying the 40s while we have 'em.

Well, those of us in the 50's and older can enjoy these warmer winter days as well you youngsters :wink:

(Nice new avatar, btw, JPB)

Thanks, Walter. I noticed today that my parsley is still growing, my sage bushes are still mostly green, and the tarragon shoots are coming up. Fresh herbs, anyone?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:09 pm
We've still some geranias and asterns with blossoms outside.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:30 pm
I lived in Boston for too many years. Now I live in Southern California where it never snows and people cry about the cold when it's 55. The past few days have been in the 70's but today it's only in the 60's. Brrr!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 01:58 am
at 4pm ET, Linkat wrote:
40s - Boston is 62 right now!

3am ET, and the temp has dropped a mere 4 degrees...

found a disoriented beetle on the living room floor this evening...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 03:55 am
snow, we got a skiff of snow overnight which I'm sure will melt during the day but it just keeps adding up. The trash man didn't come yesterday.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:42 am
sozobe wrote:
patiodog wrote:
This sucks. Mud mud mud all damn winter. And no hard freeze to kill the parasite larvae on the ground. We need our cleansing long freeze in the midwest.

I've been thinking about that. We've had some real freezes, they just haven't coincided with precipitation. I don't know how deep they went before weather got warmer. Does anyone know what the dangers are of beasties living through the winter, and what's required to kill them?

Well, I was mainly thinking of all the WI cows. There're worms we don't see a lot of here because of the winter freeze that common in the south and way out west.

Only had one good freeze here, and I think that was actually in early November. Plenty of time for the pastures to get recontaminated, I'd think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:45 am
Ugh.

I talked to E.G. about this too and he said that the bug guy we had come inspect the place had told him that every year it gets warmer and every year the bugs come further north. That he (bug guy) was seeing Florida bugs now, bugs he'd never seen before in Columbus in 20 years.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 10:10 am
Yeah, same thing with a number of veterinary diseases. There's been an increase in heartworm cases in WI dogs in the last couple of years (at least in the number that come into the hospital here), and the initial reaction was to ascribe it to the large influx of infected dogs after hurricane Katrina. But I can't help but think that the warming's got something to do with it, at least in terms of supporting spread of infection once infected dogs get moved here.

The local old-timers definitely note that the lakes freeze later and thaw earlier than they used to.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 10:38 am
CARE FOR SOME OF GRANNIES POSSUM STEW ?
--------------------------------------------------------
seems that pretty soon we'll be able to make some of grannies (the hillbillies) famous possum stew up here in the north .
you got a kettle ready for it ?
hbg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
University of Vermont zoologist Bill Kilpatrick begged his students for years to bring him dead opossums.

It's not that the genial former Texan has any particular love of opossums. It's that the cat-sized animal has been slowly making its way north through the Champlain Valley, and Kilpatrick kept tabs on its migration, in part, by tracking road-killed animals. Kilpatrick suspects two factors for the migration: global warming and increased availability of food.

They are very opportunistic, and my guess is that global warming has something to do with pushing them farther north,'' Kilpatrick said.

Animals migrate and expand their range for many reasons. The cormorant population on Lake Champlain has exploded in the past decade, for example, because more birds are thriving in the southern United States, where they spend the winter. Global warming might become another reason why animals move.

Scientists believe human activities are causing the Earth's climate to warm. Along with rising sea levels and shifts in ecosystems, scientists predict that animals, too, will respond to the change by moving north.

While there's no way to prove that is what's happening with opossums, it's clear they've moved up the Champlain Valley, Kilpatrick said. By 1988, the opossum arrived in Kilpatrick's back yard. That's when the first one was found in Burlington. By 1995, opossums had migrated all the way to Montreal.

source :
...OPOSSUMS MOVING NORTH...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 12:21 pm
I am sure that within the next couple of weeks Boston will be dumped on with snow. Mark my words. You guys are gonna get buried.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:04 pm
maybe so, Nick, maybe so.

but i'd take it after today's spectacular 68º, which shattered the old jan 6th record of 62º ...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:12 pm
I have a snowdrop blooming, three and a half weeks early. I also have a small patch of spindly toadstools and some sprouting sunflower seed.

Passing down wind of the compost tumbler, I noticed that the warm weather has the compost "working" again.

The times are out of joint.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:46 pm
Heard on the radio today that a local shelter for homeless kittens is having a major flea problem and they're blaming it on the warm weather.
0 Replies