Potty-Mouthed Princesses Drop F-Bombs for Feminism by FCKH8.com

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 07:43 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Einstein was an adult, you Dodo - these are little girls.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 07:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
Fine then...

"I don't know. People tell me I look mournful. They say, "Cheer up, Dan, it's not that bad!" Sometimes I just look into space, which freaks people out."

Let's use Harry Potter "Radcliffe", as an example...

Let's say he said instead: "I don't ******* know! People tell me I look fucked every time. They always say "cheer up dude, it's not that bad", Sometimes I just want to ram a thousand needles in their eyes because it freaks people out when I say it! So **** them!"

I wouldn't care.

If he said: "fuk lyf n its shyt, juz fuk it, dats all, notin elz 2 sayz, jus fuk lyf, ya."

I would care.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:01 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Everyone is different, but when the majority of people find these little girls offensive in their language, then you're the odd duck out.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
Last time I checked, the "ignorant mass" are the reasons why wars are possible.

Last time I checked, the "ignorant mass" is why the history book consists of 0 events wherein people followed the genius over wars, riots and gangs.

Last time I checked, the "ignorant mass" is gang mentality - gang mentality has never been a sign of intelligence, evolution or reason.

Last time I checked, the "ignorant mass" don't even know the sun is a star.

Last time I checked, the "ignorant mass" are illiterate in everything - including life.

Last time I checked, the "ignorant mass" conceded to the evil men throughout human history.

Last time I checked, the "ignorant mass" only fight when they already lost 99% of their army.

Last time I checked, the "ignorant mass" think their rulers are their buddies and friends.

Last time I checked, the "ignorant mass" live in fear, not freedom.

You were saying? From the entire history of mankind, it was one man that always cleaned up the mess of billions of people's failures. They would come out of nowhere to fight for the betterment of our community. Our current politicians, rules and authority really demonstrates the intellectual capacity of our species right now.

You go ahead and get all upset about that because I'm right and you're not. I'll be here waiting for you to crack under pressure.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
Right on, CJ! Anyone who doesn't find anything at all to criticise in the unwise decision to encourage little children to speak like street-walkers is leaning over backwards to be p.c. That's all it is: we're all afraid to appear to be prudish and old-fashioned.
Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:13 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
What about the young girl's ability to process this complex situation. Does a girl of this age have the emotional maturity to even comprehend these issues.
Or able to discern this...or are they in need of a environment of security?

I don't see these as mutually exclusive. I can't think of a topic that I wouldn't have discussed with my daughter at a level appropriate to her understanding. I think that knowing that no topic was off limits - as long as it didn't involve other people's private business - and that I would always be honest with her actually gave her an 'environment of security'. She's quite bright but my son has an intellectual disability and I think the same is true for him - on his own level.
firefly

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:18 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Would you have felt better is they were selling T-shirts that said "I'm daddy's little Princess and get whatever I want"?

Yes I would have felt better. I don't care what they put on their T-shirts--it's how they advertise them, particularly in those YouTube videos, that bothers me.

My problem with this company is their exploitation of children, for shock value, and their exploitation of social issues, as marketing tactics to sell their products and advance their own profits.

I find their video, Hey White Man, which exploits the children and racial tensions in Ferguson, and the death of Michael Brown, even more distasteful than the princess video, as a commercial to sell T-shirts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQfg52m0-4o&feature=player_detailpage

The donations to charity seem little more than a phony effort to imply their motives are "pure", despite the exploitation involved, or that buying their T-shirts is a socially positive act for a worthwhile cause--this is all about their selling T-shirts and nothing more. They've had non-profit groups turn down their "donations"--as was mentioned in that article I posted--because the groups don't want to be associated with them.
Quote:
People give shitloads (I said shitloads) of $$ to charities where a few cents on the dollar go to a cause.

That's why I no longer give to a charity without checking with a site like Charity Navigator first--I want to know how much of my money actually goes to the cause, and how much goes elsewhere. I've been shocked to see how much money goes elsewhere, even with well known charities.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:25 pm
@Pearlylustre,
I think that's a bit different here. Discussing topics with your daughter - age appropriate of course - has nothing to do with using foul language to make a point where they have no understanding of yet.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Anyone who doesn't find anything at all to criticise in the unwise decision to encourage little children to speak like street-walkers is leaning over backwards to be p.c.

Here in Australia under-10's have almost definitely already heard that language at school and possibly also from adults in their lives and people on tv who aren't necessarily street-walkers. I'm sure that these girls understood that this was a performance - like when you learn your lines for a school play. Not leaning over in any direction - just my opinions as a mum.
Germlat

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:40 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Why should this be thrown out at a child who doesn't understand or is even capable of understanding the complexities of the issue . She has neither the emotional or intellectual development to sort out such issues. It's not fair...a child needs security FIRST.... As they develop rationally, intellectually, and emotionally, they can tackle such issues. This can be done in stages ...but to me this video was disturbing....clearly a 6 year old has NO CONCEPT and can't possibly grab the concept of the issues being discussed.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 09:30 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Pearlylustre wrote:

Quote:
Anyone who doesn't find anything at all to criticise in the unwise decision to encourage little children to speak like street-walkers is leaning over backwards to be p.c.

Here in Australia under-10's have almost definitely already heard that language at school and possibly also from adults in their lives and people on tv who aren't necessarily street-walkers. I'm sure that these girls understood that this was a performance - like when you learn your lines for a school play. Not leaning over in any direction - just my opinions as a mum.

Oh, no doubt. Most kids in America have also heard that kind of language on a daily basis. That's really not the point. This sort of script implies to the child that this kind of language is generally acceptable. If the child grows up believing that, she's in for a rude shock the first time she goes for her first job interview.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 09:42 pm
@CalamityJane,
Well said
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 09:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

This sort of script implies to the child that this kind of language is generally acceptable.

No it doesn't. As pearly said, kids know a lot more than we give them credit for.

They hear the message.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 09:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You're right, in your first point but we are not all afraid to appear prudish and old-fashioned. Obviously you're not and neither is CJ.

There is nothing prudish about holding to standards of social behavior, even if they are artificial. Excluding pre-teens from swearing like sailors may now be old fashioned, but even the hip and modern subscribe to limits. Film this same commercial with the young girls screaming racist or homophobic insults and if even if the underlying message is all about equality for everyone irrespective of color or sexual orientation, the new fashioned will be joining us old fashioned farts in condemning it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 09:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I think that video is appalling. You don't get a bunch of girls under the age of 10, have them use foul language and expect to be taken seriously about the message they babble along.

I think we would need to ask them personally, rather than assuming.

I know I retained a lot more of the message than more touchy feely ads that water down the message so it doesn't offend someone.

It offended you. Ok, but you're talking about it, and remembering what it's about beyond saying that naughty word ****.

God forbid we ever become offended.

What offended me was the fact that men barely passing in school are getting the jobs of women who are getting better grades.

Princess outfits on intelligent young human females offends me.
Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 09:57 pm
@Germlat,
Kids are not all the same. There are plenty of shy, introverted little kids who you wouldn't dream of putting in this situation - they wouldn't be able to play the part anyway. As I said I'm not even sure if I would have put my daughter in that situation. But there is nothing shy and introverted about these girls. I can just imagine them having an absolute hoot filming this. They knew exactly what they were saying or they wouldn't have been able to say it so well. But I think it's just plain wrong to assume that under 10's aren't capable of understanding concepts such as girls being valued for their looks instead of their brains, or men earning more than women for the same job. Kids have a very heightened sense of fairness ...and they're definitely experts on the shock value of swearing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 10:09 pm
@chai2,
Who would you ask? CJ's point was that the public at large would not take the message seriously.

To be charitable, the ad had two purposes:

1) To sell t-shirts
2) To convey a message about women and equal rights.

My guess is that you didn't need to hear the message, so it's fairly irrelevant as to how much you retained.

Aside from the fact that this message is out there in all manner of forms, if there is an audience that really needs to hear it, the chances are that they did not because that audience immediately turned it off or heard nothing but swearing. Not a very effective ad in terms of #2

For some people just hearing the word **** is offensive and I'm not about to look down my nose at them, but for most people it wasn't the swearing that was offensive, disturbing, disgusting etc, it was the fact that pre-teens were doing it.

That there is truth to the message doesn't ameliorate what is wrong with it, particularly if it has no chance of getting through to minds that need to change.
chai2

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 10:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
From what I read of her post, she was referring to the actual girl actress's.

Every person needs to hear that message.

For some, touchy feely gets the message across, for others this message works better.

Personally, I see nothing, and I mean nothing, wrong with the ad.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 10:21 pm
@chai2,
Chai, this has nothing to do with being offended, it's just plain wrong that
we use little girls for agendas that are pertaining to grown women. Are we that stupid (women) to have little girls send out our message where we want equal pay and equality in general? Do we need such a pathetic display of kiddie language to make a point?
To me this is an insult to my intelligence as a woman. If we (women) want to be taken serious in our crusade to equality, this is not the route to go.

What if the gay community - in their plea for equality to marry - have taken a video of little boys and let them use profanities to make their point? Utterly ridiculous - just like this is!

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 10:29 pm
@chai2,
No, no, you obviously don't get anything here. Why would it be acceptable language if girls - or children in general for that matter - use profusely the f-word? It is not acceptable, period!
I have taught my child to not use this language in my house, she never did or does. She has learned that there are better means to express yourself.

I won't deny that there is an element and undercurrent in certain neighborhoods to use the f-word more often than any other verb or adjective. I do not associate with this type of language and it should not be coming from a public video using little girls while advocating feminism. Hell no, what they're advertising is a parody of language used by a lower educated class.