Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 08:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Is that the same movie where Harpo grabs a customs stamp
and frenetically stamps and tosses papers before the group can get on the ship?

I think the Marx bros, were genius
I never liked Karl.

Well, he was only cast in minor supporting roles anyway.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 09:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Karl was a flop.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 02:01 am
@Lustig Andrei,
One of my all time favorites has always been Graucho. He was a genius, and a wit.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 03:08 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Is that the same movie where Harpo grabs a customs stamp and frenetically stamps and tosses papers before the group can get on the ship?

I think the Marx bros, were genius, I can watch their films over and over and still laugh at the same lines. The cabin scene was remarkable.
[/q]

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8kaFi3_PWI
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:57 pm
Robin Williams autopsy found no illegal drugs or alcohol in actor's system
roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:02 pm
@revelette2,
For some reason, I'm glad to hear that. I really liked the guy, though I have to admit he often talked faster than I can listen.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

For some reason, I'm glad to hear that. I really liked the guy, though I have to admit he often talked faster than I can listen.

does kinda throw a wrench into the argument " he was so depressed that he did not choose to leave, the depression did it".

You will recall my argument is that he made a calm rational and possibly correct appraisal of his life and his situation and decided " **** it, I'm out of here!"
revelette2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, it does not. He was depressed and was taking anti-depressant medication and medication for Parkinson disease.

Quote:
The actor died at 63 on Aug. 11 at his home in Tiburon, Calif. in Marin County. Toxicology reports reveal antidepressants, caffeine and levodopa, a drug used to treat Parkinson's disease in his system. Williams had battled severe depression for years and had recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's, his widow Susan revealed after his death. He also had a "recent increase in paranoia," according to a medical history authorities recorded at the scene.

source
revelette2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:21 pm
@roger,
Me too, I think most people did like him. Such a shame his life ended that way.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:22 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Me too, I think most people did like him. Such a shame his life ended that way.

Williams seems to have decided that going out poor and not funny would be worse.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:23 pm
@revelette2,
All Hawkeye worries about is being right, the death of a talented comic is by the by.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:25 pm
@izzythepush,
Is that the first time you noticed that? LOL hawk is rarely right; he's never responded to any of my questions. However, I do let him know when I agree with his opinion - which is about once-a-year! LOL
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:35 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

All Hawkeye worries about is being right, the death of a talented comic is by the by.

I make an evaluation and then continue to monitor information as it comes in. In this case the information is tending to confirm my determination. I notice that the ranch still has not sold. Remember he once thought it was worth $50 million, tried to sell at 35, then tried at 30. His last nest egg was likely not so good. We will see what it sells at, it still had a $7 million mortgage on it BTW, for the house he put on it.
revelette2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:37 pm
@izzythepush,
For some strange reason, he had a bizarre reason to prove Robin Williams as a has been from the very moment the world learned of Robin Williams suicide rather than just expressing sorrow or keeping his mouth shut (so to speak) as he should do out of respect for the dead. I would hate to attend a funeral with him.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:45 pm
@revelette2,
Boo Hoo helps no one. My aim is to understand why he did it. And if I am right and Robin is sitting in heaven or hell and can watch me I bet he is saying "OH man, you get it!". I think he checked out in large part because he could not bare the rest of us feeling sorry for him, crying over his being a victim of illness and relative poverty and because he was no longer funny. I doubt that us crying over some delusion that depression took him is any better for him. At this point he is probably wishing he had written a ******* note to all of us before he left to get us off of this nonsense. Actually I think he did likely write such notes to close friends and family, but the family likes the storyline that depression took him better so they keep quiet about what Robin actually said.
firefly

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I doubt that us crying over some delusion that depression took him...

Why is it a delusion if he had antidepressants in his system at the time of his death? If anything, that supports the fact he was depressed.

He had struggled with depression for some time, particularly since his open-heart surgery, and that's not an uncommon consequence of such surgery, particularly in people who were previously predisposed to depression.

Why shouldn't the family keep quiet about any final personal notes Williams wrote to them? Are you so grandiose that you really feel they should be shared with you?

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:08 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Why is it a delusion if he had antidepressants in his system at the time of his death? If anything, that supports the fact he was depressed.

the fact that a known addict did not have drugs or alcohol in is system at death supports that he was depressed? How so? The argument is the the depression took him (if he even was depressed, Robin had been known to deny it), which means that the depression was not being effectively managed. His being clear throws great doubt on that story, as out of control depressive who are known addicts tend to use if they are medically not well managed. .
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:08 pm
People fighting in a thread about someone's death?

Can we have the common courtesy to leave such a thread at peace.

R.I.P Robin Williams.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:35 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
Can we have the common courtesy to leave such a thread at peace.

Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.....
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the fact that a known addict did not have drugs or alcohol in is system at death supports that he was depressed?

No, obtuse one--the fact he had antidepressants in his system supports the fact he was depressed. Duh...that's why they're prescribed. They might have been still trying to adjust his antidepressant meds, and these meds are not always 100% effect, sometimes they have limited effect.

And he had been clean and sober for quite some time, and he was struggling to stay that way--that's why he checked into a rehab for a brief stay not that long before he committed suicide.

The fact he had no alcohol or illegal drugs in his system at the time of his death doesn't mean he wasn't depressed--you've come up with the most whacked out reasoning I've heard in a long time.

The most likely reason for his increased depression, one you've paid no attention to, was his diagnosis with Parkinson's and the side-effects of the medication he was taking for it, which can include delusions, hallucinations, depression, and all kinds of difficulties with motor control. You have no idea how either the Parkinson's, or the medication he was taking for it, was affecting him. The report released today noted he was experiencing paranoia--which can well be a side-effect of the levodopa he was taking for Parkinson's, and which could well interfere with his ability for rational thinking, as would severe depression.

This was a tragic death, which his many admirers and fans, including me, wish could have been prevented--he was beloved by a great many people in all parts of the world--and he was working constantly until his death, and had future projects lined up. He was a uniquely gifted talent who cannot be replaced, and he is missed. I hope he is resting in peace.

You will never know, or understand, why he committed suicide, it may have been done on impulse due to his emotionally disturbed mental state. So you're never going to be able to congratulate yourself for getting this one right, although that probably won't stop you from insisting you are right. If Robin Williams is looking down on you from somewhere, he's more likely thinking, about you, "What a shmuck!".