A New Year's Digression....sigh....

marycat

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:02 am
Personally, I like eggs and toast and Tylenol for morning-after breakfast.

Hi Gezzy! I like your avatar.

Mikey, the Snoopy dance is playing here.

^-^
:-D
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:18 am
I have a friend who recommends salty food.

'Tis nearly new year here! Also, 'tis pissing down with rain - which is wonderful - and it is blowing a gale which I love - but our beach fireworks were drowned out and we all, being very cold and wet and very tired, decided to go home! So - I am home way earlier than expected. As, indeed, are many folk who went to see the same fireworks, I opine.

Nemmind - 'better luck next year. Somehow, nobody felt very New Year's Evey - and I was attempting not to indulge a mood - so - I may be the first to wish everybodya happy 2003 from there, as it were....16 minutes to go.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:24 am
Uh Oh...
Uh oh, no one's into hats.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:35 am
I see by the old clock on the wall that the folks in Oz are about to step into 2003, at least those who are still able to stand up and walk. In just a moment, aye, ere I get this posted, Margo in Sydney will be popping a cork, carrying in a lump of coal, or whatever it is they do down there to welcome in the New Year. Deb will likely be doin' likewise in half-an-hour. So, Happy New Year Cheers to all you folks t'other side o' the line.

Strange to think, you folks down under won't be in the same year as us hereabouts. Of course, a couple of years ago, youin's were a millennium ahead of us. I suppose if we were to journey back far enough, at some point in time, the folks in New South Wales were tooling around in bronze chariots, blaring on brass trumpets and banging away on tin pots in order to welcome in the New Year, while their cousins back in Cardiff or Swansea were huddled around the cave, trying to ignite some damp yew twigs by flicking their flint, hoping to rock 'n roll or get stoned before midnight.

So I guess the point is, over time we're all getting caught up with one another. Anyway, Happy New Year to all of you, wherevah you are.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:43 am
LOL - I hate silly hats meself!!!!

Well, Happy New Year, digressors - 'tis 2003 here now -and, had I only been able to persuade my friends to do new year in the city - instead of the beach - we would have seen the fireworks after all, since I can see them from here - -they are being let off near the Town Hall

I hope the year is easier than last for the whole world - I would have to say last year was one of the more difficult ones of my life - but also some very good parts, too - as is the way with life.

Now - I said this thread was not for soppy crap - but nonetheless, have a peaceful and joyous and exciting year - and a very happy first new year for this lovely site!!!!!!!

We know Craven won't see this, and prolly just as well, but nonetheless 'tis a lovely tribute to him that so many of us are communicating here over this time - and of course to Jespah and our moderator team. Well done guys!

OK, enough soppy crap - here is hoping nobody much gets blown up and stuff in whatever horrors people are plotting to perform on each other...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:49 am
Congrats to the Aussie's and others from that side of the world on begining your year anew!

Now what the bloody 'ell happend to all that Chinese food? Did someone say brownies?
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:50 am
Amen to all that, Deb.

2002 hasn't been the best year for me, neivvah.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:55 am
Chinese food? Boy! that would be nice. As though I had not already had a fine Thai meal!

I guess digression threads are a little like a yum cha - you never know what will turn up next...

I hear you deb - I haven't had such a trying year since 1994 - is there some sort of seven year cycle or something? Here is to easier times - if one ignores the world..... and I intend to try -once I have done anything i think I can do, that is...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:56 am
...er, that would be 8 years, wouldn't it?.....hmmm....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:58 am
Brownies? SPECIAL brownies? Hmmmmmmmmm. Plenty at Lola's salon, I hear...

Fishin', your reference to Chinese food and brownies at the same time reminded me of a very funny, if nearly disastrous, "brownie" story that happened when I workrd inthe Chinese restaurant i have mentioned before- but is one allowed to tell "brownie" tales on a nice site like this?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:58 am
Oiy! Women and their cycles.. Always a problem I tell ya... <ducks and runs>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:59 am
You SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO better duck and run, fish breath!

And I don't think walruses run very fast on land.....where's me bazookas?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:04 am
Wot? A walrus duckin' from a wabbit? Is this some sort of petting zoo? <searches for open water and dives in>
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:08 am
dlowan, I want to hear the brownie story. I'll put on a hat, dance, eat brownies - whatever it takes. (Psssst, and I won't tell)

HAPPY NEW YEAR
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:24 am
Can I tell it, Mr Moderator - hmm - how is he to answer while I am drowning him with threats of me bazookas if he puts his whiskery face above the water in that hole in the ice.....

He has delusionsof grandeur because of Ogden Nash:

the walrus lives on icy floes,
and unsuspecting eskimoes -
don't take your wife to arctic tundra,
a walrus might come up from under'er...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:36 am
Methinks the wabbit seeks to achieve the words of Longfellow!

"I own six hundred reindeer,
With sheep and swine beside;
I have tribute from the Finns,
Whalebone and reindeer-skins,
And ropes of walrus-hide."

<ducks back below the surface to protect his walrus tooffies!>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:50 am
Ok chatoyant -we will take that as a yes!

'Twas in the seventies when I was a student for nine long years and waitressed etc me way through uni.

Four years of that was in a Chinese restaurant that absolutely EVERYBODY came to -especially our friends,also poor, cos they got such a good deal...~;> ) ..but that is a whole other story!

Anyway, 'twas owned by two brothers - Richard and Joey. Joey was a naughty fellow - or wanted to be - and he decided he wanted to try marijuana. I was in a share husehold and the other woman in the house, Sally, worked with me.

She was a bit of an innocent - and she obliged Joey by getting him part of a deal to try.

I arrived at work later that night - and could smell a strong dope smell even before entering the restaurant. I went in, a little stunned - (the drug squad was VERY tough - if they had not sold you the stuff!) - to be greeted by clouds of marijuana smoke issuing into the restaurant from the kitchen...AND... at the table closest to said kitchen... the very famous head of the Drug Squad - a man with the rather romantic name of Jock Silverblade - but I digress.....

I scampered into the kitchen to find Joey sitting on the serving bench - puffing extremely determinedly on a large and inexpertly rolled joint - making lots of smoke, but inhaling very little.

I dragged him bodily outside - which stunned him - stamped on his joint, and buried it deeply in the pig swill - explained to him that:

a. Marijuana was illegal, and
b. That the head of the drug squad was sitting just outside the kitchen and was kindly, as a very regular customer, studiously ignoring the clouds of illegal smoke that were causing him and his wife to cough!

I suggested we make it as easy as possible for him to pretend none of it had ever happened!

I also had a fairly serious word to Sally about how she did not really lead a charmed life - and neither did Joey - who might well have got deported!
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 09:13 am
And you thought this was a bad year? Errr ... last year for you now. Great story, dlowan! Life is such an adventure, although not always the adventure we're hoping for.
Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 09:15 am
coulda been much worse!
0 Replies

wayfarer

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 09:21 am
Happy New Year, Deb. I'm ready.......
I guess.
0 Replies