A New Year's Digression....sigh....

Diane

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:36 pm
Setanta, I shall never hear Shine on Harvest Moon without thinking of you and your........well, let's just leave it at that.

Piffka, sounds like great fun. Let us know how it was.

Margo, your post confirmed my vote for "What was the question, I'm confused?" in Deb;s poll. I have enough trouble keeping track of the time in the States.

Deb, why didn't you put in the opportunity to vote for 'all of the above?' How the hell an I supposed to know how I'll feel on New Year's Eve? If I drink too much, puking is a real possibility, but I might feel all happy and optimistic, depending on the mystery date that I've set up in my imagination.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:46 pm
Newfoundland has that goofy half hour difference as well, always makes me hope that one day, while listening to CBC, i'll hear the announcer say: "That's tomorrow evening at seven, six in the Maratimes, and Newfoundland can go suck eggs."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:53 pm
Say, Piffka, I just noticed the link to the Duffy Bishop Band on your post. Man, that brings back memories to my early days in Seattle, c. 1981. I know I saw her a few times in those days, and a friend played guitar with her. She's still playing, eh?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:04 pm
Suck eggs - you don't think the extra half-hour is cool? I wish we had 3o minutes to add to our conversion.. or subtract. Deb's lucky. Particularly on New Year's Eve.

Diane, men hang around the bar waiting for their girl-friends who are in the bathroom gossiping & fixing up their eye make-up. A whole row of good dancing partners... and the dance floor is DARK. Just imagine! I'd like to have somebody driving a limo who picked us up and drove us around afterwards. Then any drinking & driving does not become an issue.

Margo -- Does that mean you're on the side of Australia aimed at Africa? I thought you were on the edge towards New Zealand.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:09 pm
I had just found the website, too. It said two of the band members will be in a musical in San Francisco. I don't know WHAT to think. Will read more.

As to Duffy Bishop, I wasn't in Seattle in the early 80's, except to visit and I haven't heard her. My SIL say this is a good dance band.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:14 pm
Sorry to not be digressing, Deb.

Let us think of the sea which, in all of its myriad colors, expresses the cosmos and the mundane, the stink and the glory, continually reborn but never dying.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:17 pm
not to mention the kelp
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:21 pm
That's where you run into whether or not you have sufficiently digressed, or merely dropped below the surface.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:23 pm
Piffka

I'm on the eastern seaboard (as is Wilso). We're currently on "eastern Australia summer time". Deb lives on the coast, but a bit to the west, so she's on "central Australian summer time", but she's always 30 minutes behind us. Queensland is also on the eastern seaboard, but doesn't have daylight saving or "summer time". Guam is directly to the north of us, but has the same time as Queensland.

Time calls can certainly be confusing on national radio, as Setanta mentions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:24 pm
Dropping below the surface is undoubtedly the best way to see that there kelp . . . but, i digress . . .
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:33 pm
margo wrote:
I'm on the eastern seaboard (as is Wilso). We're currently on "eastern Australia summer time". Deb lives on the coast, but a bit to the west, so she's on "central Australian summer time", but she's always 30 minutes behind us. Queensland is also on the eastern seaboard, but doesn't have daylight saving or "summer time". Guam is directly to the north of us, but has the same time as Queensland.

I'm not smart enough to live in Australia. I'd never know what time or day it was!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:36 pm
OK Wabbit I read all the posts and I am confused what is the topic or is there a topic what New Year is it we are supposed to be discussing any how? Yours or ours?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:37 pm
You're supposed to be wearing a silly paper hat, and drinking to excess, Joanne, get with the program . . . sheesh . . .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:41 pm
kelpie -- of unknown etymology.... Lowland Scottish name of a fabled water-spirit or demon assuming various shapes, but usually appearing in that of a horse; It is reputed to haunt lakes and rivers....sometimes held to render assistance to Millers by keeping the mill going during the night.

Maybe it's Pictish?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:52 pm
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:BaFTrBHkamQC:www.preschooleducation.com/topicpic/fool.gif

Sigh.... Am I here or there yet?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:53 pm
That's grand, Joanne, you're doin' very well . . .
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 02:18 pm
Hmmmm.....pray tell, what be some've the wackiest things you done did or hope to done did for New Years, good horde? ...I need some plans here. Laughing Er, no, I think it's gonna be crazy enough where I'm at...
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 02:28 pm
No doubt, royal blue blob!
Laughing
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 02:41 pm
Cool...My nicknames just keep getting better & better! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 02:41 pm
I'm sorry - the royal stands for footling pseudo-majesty as well as the colour - he doesn't get "royal" in his nickname HERE - he can be a blue blob, or a blue booger - (strange as it is for me wiv him all green as grass in me very own monitor plain as ever was).

What was the question, JD?

Guam on QUEENSLAND time! Good grief!

Here, kelpies is hyperactive li'l sheep dogs...

Weird new Year's Eves ...I don't think I so much remember the weird ones... there was the year we partied on the beachfront in a garden, and sang - and wouldn't let people pass to get back to their cars until they sang with us... there was the year 15 people ended up in the bath....no, that was the champagne breakfast - but 3 days into it, so 'twas nearly New Year's...there was the year of the three parties, but the first was so appalling I gave up and went home - (the third was GREAT, everyone told me after...sigh)...there was the year I did the koala with chlamydia imitation that people still talk about and hypnotized the baby and came down with appalling tonsillitis all on the same night - (the baby didn't get the tonsillitis) - and there was a huge New Year's Day party at my place and I had to keep wandering out through it (there was karaoke, so apparently it was a Mercy and a Blessing to be semi-conscious) in me nightie all delirious like to go to the loo...and what was the question?
0 Replies