family vs finances

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:20 pm
Stray - Ha! He's also cheap.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:20 pm
I don't mean to go all sentimental and resentful - I seem to remember other occasions when you have been, er, screwed, on these matters. Poor contract making on your part, I assume, but also taking-full-advantage-of on sister's. I don't like it and want you out of that envelope.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:28 pm
Osso, you're great. I appreciate that you're on my side! There was no real contract. Back in the beginning, my b-in-l wanted to do things as if I were an employee. He wanted to pitch in for health insurance and pay for my milage, etc. My sister talked him out of it. We set a general salary.

Sucky thing is I hear no end to it when my sister doesn't get a raise from work or a bonus (or her hubby doesn't). Hello! And she was enraged that her office dropped the chiropractic coverage to 50 visits a year from 52. She actually said, "That's cutting into my living expenses!" She gets angry with her hubby and his company because he doesn't get the same vacation time she does (she gets an extra week or two).

It's hard not to compare our incomes when it's always in my face.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:43 pm
Quote:
Stray - Ha! He's also cheap.

He's as tight as his tidywhities?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:46 pm
He is multiply tight, yes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:00 pm
Being quiet. I can do that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:01 pm
I know I'll wear out my welcome on the subject. Again. Needed to rant. If I don't, I lose track of what's right.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:36 pm
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaackkkkkkkk

I love you, l'k.

Your Ma. sister's hard to love/like/not threaten.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:39 pm
You won't wear out your welcome... It's me a'doin' it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:46 pm
I think they owe you for your time, little k, if they want you to be available for them when they get back.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:49 pm
It never pays off taking advantage of employees and in your case, littlek, where it is family, your sister is showing ugly character flaws that will backfire one day.

I have no advice other than giving her a 30 day notice. Take a summer
job as a waitress and you'd make more money in tips than you get at
your sisters.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:52 pm
That sounds right, boomer and cj.

Who can get a job for, what was it, two weeks? The sister is out of Cinderella, and I'll be quiet about your mother, whom, ahem, I am older than, so I can say that in that tone.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:54 pm
Yes, and frankly, I would be deeply ashamed if I ever treated a family member like that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:58 pm
(I loved that line too, Osso...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 08:17 pm
about the knobs? I had to do a double take...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:30 pm
ossobuco wrote:

I'll be quiet about your mother, whom, ahem, I am older than, so I can say that in that tone.

This line! Haha!

Dasha suggested I quit, too. I think that would tank the relationship into something even more ugly.

CJane - I often wish, in dark moods, that she get what's coming to her. I think she is indeed showing ugly character flaws. But, they haven't backfired on her yet. I'm not sure they will - they seem to be serving her quite well. And, if they do, I hope her kids aren't too scarred.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:39 pm
Well, that's the thing about a2k that I most like. That I relate to you, and not to the person of my own approximate age. That doesn't always happen right away, but sometimes does.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:51 pm
Tis a good thing, indeed.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:01 pm
You know, I think you see it as "family" and your sister sees it as "finance".

You love those kids, your sister knows that. That gives her lattitude to treat you like ..... er..... an employee.

(Believe me, I know how hard it can be to divorce yourself from other people's kids. Look what happened to us.)

Seriously, little k, you have to eat. You have to pay your rent. You have to be able to live. Your sister is being unfair and it is because she knows you love her kids. If she is going to treat you like an employee, you need to act like one.

Hard stuff to do, for sure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:09 pm
Boomer, how?
0 Replies