Obama placed under Secret Service protection

fishin

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 04:18 pm
Quote:
Obama placed under Secret Service protection
POSTED: 5:25 p.m. EDT, May 3, 2007

(CNN) -- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, a U.S. senator from Illinois, has been placed under the protection of the Secret Service, the agency said Thursday.

The government is not aware of any specific, credible threat against Obama, according to a law enforcement source familiar with the decision. But the campaign has received hate mail, calls and other "threatening materials" in the past and during his campaign, the source said.

Three Obama campaign officials who discussed the issue on condition of anonymity said there was no specific threat against the candidate.

They said the request stemmed from what one called the "cumulative effect" of a heavier campaign schedule, larger crowds and "just the growing perception internally" that it was time to take additional security precautions that are best suited for the Secret Service.

A Department of Homeland Security representative also told CNN there is no known specific or credible threat.

The Secret Service said in a written statement that Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, "after consultation with the congressional advisory committee, authorized the United States Secret Service to protect presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama."

Chertoff works with a congressional panel made up of half a dozen members of Congress, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

"As a matter of procedure, we will not release any details of the deliberations of assessments that led to protection being initiated," the statement said.

Protection goes beyond surrounding the candidate with well-armed agents, the Secret Service's Web site states. The agency does extensive advance work and threat assessments developed by its Intelligence Division to identify potential risks, the site says.

As a former first lady, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, another Democratic presidential candidate, already has Secret Service protection.

What? I don't buy the "no credible threat" story line here.

A candidate doesn't just get Secret Service protection over a handful of hate mail. This is HIGHLY unusual. Usually protection teams are assigned following the Party convention. That Convention doesn't happen for another 15 months.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,604 • Replies: 133
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 04:28 pm
This from the Washington Post article about the protection...

Quote:
In the last election, Democratic candidates John Kerry and John Edwards received their protection in February 2004 as they were competing for the party's nomination. Obama's detail comes nine months before the first votes are cast.

Federal law allows candidates to seek protection if they meet a series of standards, including public prominence as measured by polls and fundraising. The members of the congressional advisory committee are the Speaker, the House and Senate majority and minority leaders as well as one additional member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/03/AR2007050301382.html?nav=hcmodule

That might explain why they did it.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 04:44 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/02/20/elec04.prez.main/index.html

"To receive Secret Service protection, a candidate must be campaigning on a national basis, must have a prominent position in national media polls and must have garnered at least 10 percent of the vote in two consecutive primaries or caucuses."

Is Obama's campagin any more prominent that everyone else's???
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 04:48 pm
I'd say yes to that one. The whole "rock star" thing. Hillary is the main competition -- she already has Secret Service protection. Dunno about Edwards -- I can't imagine that a) he's as big of a deal, in terms of how many people come to see him, on an ongoing basis, or b) that he has that much hate mail.

Note the article didn't say "a handful" -- that statement could be referring to quite a lot of hate mail and threats.

I'm not sure what I think about it, but it (Secret Service protection) doesn't seem so far-fetched to me, from what I've read here.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 05:26 pm
ChiTrib

Quote:
Concerned about the safety of Sen. Barack Obama on the presidential campaign trail, Sen. Dick Durbin two weeks ago went to the Senate's top Democrat to point out the danger he thought his fellow Illinois Democrat might be in.

Durbin said he told Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid about the size of the crowds he'd seen on the campaign trail with Obama, and also that he showed Reid some unspecified material that added to his concern.

That conversation lead Thursday to the assignment of a Secret Service detail to Obama, the earliest in a presidential campaign the service has ever made the decision to cover a candidate not already under their protection as an office holder.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:04 pm
The idea that a credible black candidate might have a larger potential for danger from crazies somehow doesn't amaze me.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:06 pm
snood wrote:
The idea that a credible black candidate might have a larger potential for danger from crazies somehow doesn't amaze me.

The key word is "credible"!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:12 pm
Sounds right to me. I'm assuming all candidates think about the security question before running for this office, and that some in either party will attract the attention of more bedbug loonies than others.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:22 pm
I am not that much of a conspiracy buff, but I believe the forces that killed King and the two Kennedys are still extant and Obama is to me a logical target for them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:32 pm
I'll bet Mrs. Colin Powell isn't surprised.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:56 pm
sozobe wrote:
I'd say yes to that one. The whole "rock star" thing. Hillary is the main competition -- she already has Secret Service protection. Dunno about Edwards -- I can't imagine that a) he's as big of a deal, in terms of how many people come to see him, on an ongoing basis, or b) that he has that much hate mail.

Clinton gets USSS protection by virtue of being a former 1st Lady. She's had it all along and will for the rest of her life.

I'm more surprised that the USSS has seemingly waived their own criteria. Obama isn't a shoe-in at this point and he hasn't won a single primary (neither has anyone else of course...).

There is more to this story than meets the eye. IMO, either there are credible threats or there was an actual attempt.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:58 pm
snood wrote:

It doesn't surprise me either. I'm just wondering if an actual attempt has already been made or not.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:15 pm
mysteryman wrote:
snood wrote:

The key word is "credible"!!!

What are you babbling about?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:51 pm
fishin wrote:
Clinton gets USSS protection by virtue of being a former 1st Lady. She's had it all along and will for the rest of her life.

Yes, I know. You were asking about whether he was that much more prominent than anyone else. I'd say that Hillary Clinton is the only other one that is prominent -- but she already has USSS protection.

Quote:
I'm more surprised that the USSS has seemingly waived their own criteria. Obama isn't a shoe-in at this point and he hasn't won a single primary (neither has anyone else of course...)

It doesn't seem like being a shoe-in is the criteria.

Quote:
There is more to this story than meets the eye. IMO, either there are credible threats or there was an actual attempt.

I would believe either. That there was a credible threat (perhaps the unspecified material that Durbin cited) or that it's just sort of cumulative without there being an actual credible threat.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 09:02 pm
Off topic:

Interesting meandering idioms:

"Shoo-in" has become "shoe-in"

The meaning has mutated from easily-herded-animal to a foot-in-the-door (with or without overtones of pushy salesperson).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 05:27 am
According to today's paper (here Chicago Tribune) there was no specific event or threat that triggered the decision.

And not only Powell but Jesse Jackson got Secret Service protection from the day he announced his candidacy as well.

http://i18.tinypic.com/6asji3n.jpg
Quote:
But white supremacists, appalled that a black candidate may have a viable shot at the presidency, have been spewing venom across the Internet for months.

"Our world will become unbearable with him as President," wrote a typical poster on a white powerWeb site. "Maybe there will be someone who would take [a] chance and do a Lincoln on him? Is that our only hope?"
[...]
An article in last week's edition of the rightwing Insight magazine blasted him for his lack of security, mentioned Robert Kennedy and accused Obama of "almost courting this tragic, and historically predictable, result."

"It is time for Obama to put aside his pride, or bravado, and ask for the protection he requires," the magazine said.

Source: New York Daily News, 04.05.07, page 7
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 05:57 am
And from today's update on CNN:

"Illinois' senior senator, Democrat Dick Durbin, told reporters Thursday night that he relayed concerns about the size of the crowds Obama was drawing and other issues to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Reid decided to take the matter to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff as an issue for a congressional advisory board, Durbin said.

"I knew the crowds were large ... but some of the other information given to us, unfortunately I think, raised a concern among many of [Obama's] friends," Durbin said.

"Unfortunately, some of the information we found was racially motivated. It is a sad reality in this day and age that Mr. Obama's African-American heritage is a cause for very violent and hatred, hated reactions among some people."

Durbin would not elaborate. "I've been advised not to talk about any specific security problems or any threats," he said. He also would not say how he received the information, only that it was from "credible sources.""

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/03/obama.protection/index.html

So no "credible threats" - but serious info from "credible sources". These people are all dancing here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 06:06 am
From the link to the Chicago Tribune I gave above:

Quote:
A congressional aide said that the request for Obama's Secret Service protection was unanimously backed by Republican and Democratic congressional leaders. The aide said Reid made a vigorous argument for the detail when the advisory group met.

"Reid was very adamant", said the aide.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 06:31 am
fishin wrote:
And from today's update on CNN:

"Illinois' senior senator, Democrat Dick Durbin, told reporters Thursday night that he relayed concerns about the size of the crowds Obama was drawing and other issues to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Reid decided to take the matter to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff as an issue for a congressional advisory board, Durbin said.

"I knew the crowds were large ... but some of the other information given to us, unfortunately I think, raised a concern among many of [Obama's] friends," Durbin said.

"Unfortunately, some of the information we found was racially motivated. It is a sad reality in this day and age that Mr. Obama's African-American heritage is a cause for very violent and hatred, hated reactions among some people."

Durbin would not elaborate. "I've been advised not to talk about any specific security problems or any threats," he said. He also would not say how he received the information, only that it was from "credible sources.""

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/03/obama.protection/index.html

So no "credible threats" - but serious info from "credible sources". These people are all dancing here.

So, what's your main problem with the whole thing about Obama and secret service protection? That the justification for it isn't being laid out in triplicate, or what?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:08 am
It would be rather stupid to give detail. You don't let people know they are being watched by publishing all the details in the press.

Personally, I encourage the Obama family to continue to retain their own personal security in addition to the Secret Service protection.

It isn't just internal threats. There are a lot of people in this world who don't want to see a conciliatory president dare to work toward reducing the violence between various factions around the world.

The only reason people are making a big deal over it being the earliest a candidate has been given secret service protection is because of how early the Senator has started his campaigning and how much his popularity has been growing during the beginning stages of his campaign. If it were six months from now, not a peep would be said. The point is that the crowds and popularity will continue to grow and the protection is needed now.
0 Replies