Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 09:24 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/95/harborpics626174oz3.th.jpg

How long did it take you to blow him up? Shocked
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 03:59 am
Setanta wrote:
...What George Washington did or did not comment on the subject, and the fact that he presided at the constitutional convention, does not have any bearing on the Second Amendment. As i already pointed out (must not have sunk in, huh?), it is an amendment to the constitution, it amended what was produced by the constitutional convention--it was not produced by the constitutional convention. I'd be interested to know what your source is for the Washington quote by the way--is it something anyone can check, or just an allegation you found at a gun lobby site?

That particular quotation is one that can be found a few hundred places on the Web, and I've been aware of it for a few years, however researching it again during the past 15 minutes has convinced me that it's probably fictitious. Sorry, I believed it was valid when I quoted it. I do, however, maintain the same view of the subject myself, and believe that some support could be found by studying the actual words of the founders.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 07:25 am
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 07:48 am
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasen't the NRA, in the past, opposed most every gun control law bought up, including keeping guns out of the hands f criminals and nut cases?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 12:44 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
31 dead? !

How many more before the US wakes up and bans guns?

Or is this an argument for arming students?

Had I not heard of similar incidents many times before I would be shocked and appalled.

I dont think the legislators in the US care.
MAYBE THEY CARE ABOUT RESPECTING THE BILL OF RIGHTS
which is embodied in the Supreme Law of the Land that they swore to uphold.
Those rights include personal armament for self-defense,
as set forth in the 2nd and 9th Amendments.

Those legislators were never granted authority
to REPEAL any citizen 's right of self defense.

It seems Americans must just accept this as a feature of their lives and deaths, the lawmakers themselves being at all times immune.

I blame the school authorities whose policy
threatened any student who brought a gun to school with expulsion.

( Maybe the school administration believed that mass murderers 'd
be intimidated by threat of expulsion from school ?? )

For YEARS, I brought a 2 inch .38 revolver to school
for personal security. I never needed it.
There was never any trouble,
but it is better to have a gun and not need it
than to need a gun ( like each victim ) and not have it.

The penalty for needing a gun
when u don t have one is DEATH, with no appeal.

The penalty for OBEYING gun control laws is DEATH.

Its not a question of ARMING students,
just as thay don 't distribute pens and paper;
everyone brings his own supplies.
That 's AMERICA to me
David
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 12:48 pm
if Bush simply nuked the campus after the first shot fired the shooter would have been stopped in his tracks.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 01:03 pm
xingu wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasen't the NRA, in the past, opposed most every gun control law bought up, including keeping guns out of the hands f criminals and nut cases?

I do not represent the NRA,
but the general philosophy of the freedom of self defense movement
is that we should get rid of violent " criminals and nut cases,"
not get rid of anyone 's guns.

Let 's not blame the availability of pens n paper for FORGERY.
Let 's not blame the availability of spoons for obesity.
Let 's not blame umbrellas for rain.
The fault is in the guilty PERSON, not in his tools.

I favor BANISHMENT of violent recidivists.

David

P.S. :
It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to keep guns out of the hands
of anyone who wants to get one enuf,
just as after spending however many BILLION$$$,
anyone who chooses to can get marijuana or heroin.

Even criminals in prison, have MADE guns and knives
while they were in there. Thay have occasionally been discovered
when a lound noise is heard, and puddles of blood r found near
injured prisoners
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 03:48 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:

but it is better to have a gun and not need it
than to need a gun ( like each victim ) and not have it.

I think this captures the essence of the argument, at least for me.

It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

It might be the only thing that keeps you alive from someone who wants to harm you.

What kills me are all the people in this thread who are pro-choice when it comes to anything else, but are not pro-choice when it comes to protecting yourself and your loved ones from harm.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 08:39 am
CerealKiller wrote:
What kills me are all the people in this thread who are pro-choice when it comes to anything else, but are not pro-choice when it comes to protecting yourself and your loved ones from harm.

It's funny isn't is. I'm on your side in this argument and I can't stand the immense desire to restrict our freedoms.

What kills me are all the people in this thread who are pro-warrentless wiretapping and have no problem giving up that freedom, but will defend this freedom to their death.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 12:30 pm
This is commencement weekend at Virginia Tech. Some 5000 diplomas will be awarded and some 35000 guests are expected in Blacksburg. I suspect it will attract a few TV trucks and print media people.
There is an essay this week in The Hook, one of the weekly newspapers in Charlottesville. The author is Randy Salzman, who is described as being a former journalism and communications professor.

I tried to use highlighters to capture the essence of his article. But I found I highlighted, in red or green or blue, much of it. You can find it at readthehook.com. The title is "Gundamentalists."

Too briefly, here is the spirit of what he wrote:

He starts by noting that he has read in the papers and heard on tv about shooting victims at Columbine, Dunblane, Scotland, and the University of Texas. He is surprised not to hear about the incident at the Appalachian Law School, also in Virginia and not far from Blacksburg, in 2002.
Two armed students (along with a third student-unarmed) disarmed a demented man who had murdered three people and wounded three others. He wonders why the media didn't bother to talk to these guys who "are still alive and living in the same time zone."

He then shifts the subject a bit beginning with this paragraph: "My wife tells me not to write anything about (gun control) because I will immediately be labeled an NRA gun nut who wants to take America back to the days of the Wild West." He does say later on that, in fact, "I don't think concealed carry permits are a good thing..."

He goes on a bit about fair and balanced coverage from the mainstream media and about how difficult and complex issues are not coverable in a minute and a half between commercials.

And that, I guess, leads him to his main point: "...something is wrong with our news media coverage when intelligent, thoughtful human beings like my wife say. 'Don't say anything.' This conspiracy of silence, the stifling of truly 'fair and balanced' coverage in our media, is the beginning of the end of democracy." We end up with too many people who get their information from the likes of Rush Limbaugh or Al Franken. The result is an attitude of "our way is the only way."

I've summarized this as best as I can. I would give Mr Salzman an A on content but only a B on writing style. I was taught that, in essays, the primary point should be made in the first paragraph with following paragraphs supporting the premise, and then a concluding paragraph linking everything together.

One final thing in an already too long post. I got a letter from Blue Cross of Virginia, the company I use to provide health insurance to my employees. The letter specifically addressed the VT tragedy and noted that many of their policies covered folks who might be suffering from stress. It provided an "in house" phone number as well as other numbers of various health agencies. Folks whose policies didn't provide for mental health issues would also be helped by the company. -rjb-
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:16 am
xingu wrote:

You are wrong. The NRA are a rather moderate voice in the gun rights movement.

You may be thinking of the GOA.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 12:06 pm
Va. governor closes loophole that armed Tech gunman

From the Virginian-Pilot online.

I just saw it - apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere on the thread.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 01:05 pm
_Heatwave_ wrote:
Va. governor closes loophole that armed Tech gunman

From the Virginian-Pilot online.

I just saw it - apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere on the thread.

So I guess John Kerry will never hunt in Virginia again....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 01:26 pm
Remember, it's always better to have gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have one.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 01:31 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Remember, it's always better to have gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have one.
Yes of course shiksa and it's always better to shoot and kill an innocent person than to not shoot and kill a criminal.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:13 pm
Huh?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Huh?
most rational comment you've ever made. Which only proves even blind pigs can find an acorn now and then.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:19 pm
Did you have a stroke or something? Because you are even more confused/confusing than normal. I do not wish bad upon you, just wondering.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:26 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Did you have a stroke or something? Because you are even more confused/confusing than normal. I do not wish bad upon you, just wondering.
actually I notice you have been more obnoxious than usual lately which i attribute to the impending take over of our government by democrats or your just not taking your medications.
0 Replies