At least 20+ dead students in Virginia Tech; shooter dead

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:19 am
CNN is reporting that there may be at least 20 deaths in shooting and many others wounded. The gunman was found dead. ---BBB

April 16, 2007
1 Killed in Shooting at Virginia Tech
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 11:58 a.m. ET

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- Shootings in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech left at least one person dead and seven or eight more wounded Monday before police arrested the suspected gunman, officials told The Associated Press.

Police confirmed they had a suspect in custody, the university said on its Web site.

On the Web site, Tech reported the shootings at opposite ends of the 2,600-acre campus at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and said there were ''multiple victims'' at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

The university said there were multiple victims. Government officials with knowledge of the case said there were seven to eight other ''casualties.''

Students were asked to stay in their homes away from windows. The campus was closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

''There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on,'' said student Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the building where shooting took place.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, ''We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible.''

Officials ordered the campus closed, the second time in less than a year the 26,000-student campus was shut because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 26,790 • Replies: 710
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:25 am
Not that it is much a consolation, but one dead - 21 injured in updated report.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:28 am
BBB
The latest update from the college president is 22 dead, including the gunman. Many more wounded.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:32 am
Yeah, this "one minute ago" news item says 21 dead, another 21 wounded.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting

Ugh.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:40 am
What the f*ck

sheesh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:40 am
Well that's probably because the Boston Globe is so wrapped up in the Marathon that their update to date report is behind. - they just updated it again to say 22 killed.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:01 pm
Yes, the NY Times reports 22 dead.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:01 pm
Just heard from a young cousin, an undergrad (engineering!) at VT. Called simply to say that's he's fine and not to worry. (That was the first I heard of this terrible news - I thought I just wasn't hearing him right.)

Still not clear how/ why there were two separate shootings (same gunman?), in two separate locations. I guess it'll get clearer as the details come out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:06 pm
As far as I can tell, the gunman did the first shooting, then there was a lockdown; then it was temporarily lifted and he turned up someplace else and did the second shooting.

Not clear on that yet either, though.

I'm glad your cousin is fine, _Heatwave_.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:09 pm
Heard from my daughter, and she was stunned because that was her father's alma mater. I am beginning to think Joseph Conrad was right.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:21 pm
Statement by Virginia Tech's president
Statement by Virginia Tech's president
By The Associated Press
55 minutes ago

Statement by Virginia Tech President Charles Steger on Monday afternoon after the fatal shootings of 21 students:

Well, today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions. There were two shootings which occurred on campus. In each case there were fatalities. The university is shocked and indeed horrified that this would befall us, and I want to extend my deepest and most sincere and profound sympathy to the families of these victims, which include our students.

We are currently in the process of notifying next of kin. The Virginia Tech police are being assisted by numerous other jurisdictions including Montgomery County. Crime scenes are being investigated by the university police, the FBI and the state police.

We continue to work to identify the victims that have been impacted by this tragedy. I cannot begin to convey my own personal sense of loss over this senseless and incomprehensible heinous act. The university will immediately set up counseling centers. So far, centers have been identified in Ambler Johnston and the Cook counseling center to work with our campus community and their families.

Now here are some of the facts as we know them. At about 7:15 this morning, a 911 call came to the university police department concerning an event in West Ambler Johnston Hall. There were multiple shooting victims. While in the process of investigating, about two hours later, the university received reports of a shooting in Norris Hall. The police immediately responded.

The shooter in Norris Hall is deceased. There are multiple fatalities. The number of fatalities has not been confirmed. Victims have been transported to various hospitals in the immediate area in the region to receive emergency treatment. And we will proceed to contact the next of kin as the victims' identities are available. All classes are canceled and the university is closed for the remainder of the day.

The university will open tomorrow at 8:00 a.m., but classes will be canceled on Tuesday. The police are currently staging the release of people from campus buildings. Families wishing to reunite with their students are suggested to meet at the Inn at Virginia Tech, the building that we're in today. Were making plans for a convocation tomorrow at noon in Cassell Coliseum for the university to come together to begin the healing process from this terrible tragedy.

That ends my prepared comments.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:32 pm
eq dead
The latest number of dead is 31.

BBB Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:49 pm
sozobe wrote:
As far as I can tell, the gunman did the first shooting, then there was a lockdown; then it was temporarily lifted and he turned up someplace else and did the second shooting.

Not clear on that yet either, though.

*nods* Both CNN and MSNBC are reporting that there was a lcokdown and then it was later lifted and the shooting resumed.

It seems odd that they would lift the lockdown without having someone in custody.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:06 pm
Live coverage here-

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=49750&cl=93596&ch=77808&src=
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:22 pm
31 dead? !

How many more before the US wakes up and bans guns?

Or is this an argument for arming students?

Had I not heard of similar incidents many times before I would be shocked and appalled.

I dont think the legislators in the US care. It seems Americans must just accept this as a feature of their lives and deaths, the lawmakers themselves being at all times immune.
0 Replies

michael1

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:25 pm
Virginia School Shooting: Another Government Black-Op?
Virginia School Shooting: Another Government Black-Op?
Early details suggest Columbine-style set-up to justify mass gun control, VA Tech has "blood on their hands," banned concealed carry, disarming victims

Paul Joseph Watson & Steve Watson
Prison Planet
Monday, April 16, 2007
http://prisonplanet.com/articles/april2007/160407blackop.htm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:26 pm
Oh go away.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:30 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:32 pm
Well there is a link from a "respectable" website so it must be true!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:34 pm
Steve
Steve 41oo wrote:
31 dead? !
How many more before the US wakes up and bans guns?
Or is this an argument for arming students?
Had I not heard of similar incidents many times before I would be shocked and appalled.
I dont think the legislators in the US care. It seems Americans must just accept this as a feature of their lives and deaths, the lawmakers themselves being at all times immune.
"The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," Perino said, noting that Bush and Education Secretary Margaret Spellings held a conference on school gun violence last October. "Certainly, bringing a gun into a school domitory and shooting ... is against the law and something someone should be held accountable for," Perino said.
0 Replies