Five Gay Men. Out to Save the World.

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 12:49 pm
I also thought it was a bit cloying at the end. The sweetness of those desserts (and that liqueur they shill on the program) was matched by the proposal scene. I have nothing against the couple--they were cute--but my interest waned in the last few minutes.

One thing I've wondered about the show: It's set in Manhattan, but no one (the Fab 5, the straight guys or their girl friends) ever sounds like he or she is from NY. Could they all be transplants?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:51 pm
I think the popularity of "Sex and the City" dictated that the series would be in New York -- certainly for all the fasionable salons and name brand flagship clothing stores.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 05:10 pm
Yes, but "Sex and the City" uses actors, who, presumably can come from anywhere. The show we're talking about features real people. I find it curious that none of them sounds like NYers...Not that I doubt they live there now. Clearly the Fab 5 know their way around Manhattan!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 05:13 pm
I meant to say that they are likely from somewhere else but New York City is also a gay crossroads for the world -- even those who haven't been there just about know where all the fasionable spots are. You can get a rather good education on it just by watching Woody Allen films, especially "Manhattan."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 05:24 pm
I remember reading somewhere once that more than 50 perecnt of the people who make New York their home were born and raised elsewhere. I can't vouch for the truth of that statement, except for the fact that when I lived and worked in Manhattan the majority of my colleagues were, like myself, transplants.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:16 am
Well, of course, I didn't mean to intimate that only gays are attracted to moving to NYC. I just got the DVD of the TV Disney version of "Annie" and it has a great song "NYC" that describes the city. It is a city of paradoxes and still the art center of the world.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:21 am
Well, of course, I didn't mean to intimate that only gays are attracted to moving to NYC. I just got the DVD of the TV Disney version of "Annie" and it has a great song "NYC" that describes the city. It is a city of paradoxes and still the art center of the world.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:22 am
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 10:04 am
I agree with you both re people being drawn to NYC. I still think it's odd that not even the straight people sound like natives, but it's no big deal--and clearly these are real people who live in NY. It in no way detracts from an entertaining show!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:42 pm
Right, D'artagnan, I don't think they're "milking" it and they certainly don't have to travel far to get some high style furniture and clothing together! I love the scene in the exclusive restaurant -- I thought that was neat that they'd take him out to lunch!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:47 pm
Yes, the lunch was a nice touch. The dude in question certainly seemed to enjoy all the pampering!

There is one question that's been nagging at me. I assume all the action we see has been taped in one day. Are they actually able to do all that interior work (repainting, buying and shipping furniture, framing art) in that period of time?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 03:54 pm
Good point and somehow I have my doubts. They may spread it over at least two or more days because how would one get furniture delivered in one day? (not possible around here I know and I can't imagine NYC being anything but worse for furniture store deliveries). I don't think they address that one way or another or perhaps I'm mistaken.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 12:59 am
I finally caught this show. I enjoyed it. It reminds me of two shows on TLC--Trading Spaces without the trading and What Not to Wear, which is a makeover show. The difference here is that the maker-overers are gay.

As for New York, I've lived here all my life. Most of my friends and co-workers are from somewhere else. Hell, aside from my family, almost everyone I know is from somewhere else. So in order to find people who sound like Noo Yawkers, you've first got to find some natives. All the natives I grew up with and went to school with moved somewhere else.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:27 am
It's in that genre of Trading Spaces because of the redo of the interiors -- the designer does seem to confer with the subject as to colors, furniture styles, etc. perhaps more than TLC.

I did rather doubt that one could always spot even native New Yorkers as I doubt their accents morph into some kind of NYC accent and I haven't detected an NYC syntax except, perhaps, in the rather arty types.

There is often a detectable "gay" accent which is not a lisp but more an articulation with the language. That doesn't hold true entirely but there is a voice inflection that is part of gaydar.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:38 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I did rather doubt that one could always spot even native New Yorkers as I doubt their accents morph into some kind of NYC accent and I haven't detected an NYC syntax except, perhaps, in the rather arty types.

LW, This statement has me confused. New Yorkers' accents don't morph into New York accents???? Do New Yorkers have a syntax that differs from that of the rest of the country?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:53 am
A confusing sentence -- sorry about that. I meant those who have migrated to NYC rather than natives I don't believe always adobt some sort of NYC accent. Do even natives, especially if they've left and returned, have a distinct accent? I'm just curious about a New York accents as I don't detect it on, for instance, "Sex and the City."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

There are all sorts of NY accents, depending on what borough one is from and how much one has moved. Then there are suburban accents--I'm from LI (left a long time ago, thankfully), but my sister and her hubby never left. I can always refresh my memory when I talk to her on the phone...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

A confusing sentence -- sorry about that. I meant those who have migrated to NYC rather than natives I don't believe always adobt some sort of NYC accent. Do even natives, especially if they've left and returned, have a distinct accent? I'm just curious about a New York accents as I don't detect it on, for instance, "Sex and the City."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 12:15 pm
Ditto D'artagnan. Brooklyn accent, Long Island accent, Manhattan accent, Queens, they usually revolve around ethnicity, whether Hispanic (Rosie Perez, JLo) or Black (Spike Lee, Mary J. Blige) or Jewish (Barbara Streisand, Bette Midler, Andrew Dice Clay).
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 12:16 pm
There used to be a show, "Brooklyn Bridge" that a friend (not from NY) raved to me about. I watched it once, and it didn't sound like many of the actors were even trying to sound like they lived in Brooklyn, or anywhere else in NY. This was a show, as I recall, that was trying hard for verisimilitude. "Sex..." which I don't watch (no HBO) I would imagine has characters who moved to NYC for career and adventure, so I wouldn't expect them to sound like natives. But not having seen it, I should keep my mouth shut...
0 Replies