Five Gay Men. Out to Save the World.

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:52 pm
I was considering making a comment about the normalization of homosexuality by the entertainment industry, in a country where polls show that a very large percent of Americans still believe that homosexuality is against the teachings of their religion. But I decided I didn't have the energy to firght off the "how dare you" onslaught of indignation that would surely follow, so I didn't say anything.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:16 pm
Yeah you did.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:18 pm
I'm finally in the loop. Saw a commercial for this new show tonight for the first time.

Interesting.

I'll pass.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 04:16 am
eoe wrote:
Yeah you did.

Dang! I'm found out!!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 05:42 am
wiz, I actually knew a guy who was a cross dresser. He was normal in every other way and , good for him, his wife was quite supportive. Everybody knew it and we only brought it up when we were very drunk. However, his choice of colors was offensive. He looked like some woman in a Guatemalan market.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 04:08 pm
An overwhelming number of Americans also don't believe there should be any descrimination nor any laws making it a crime despite what their religious views are.

Aw, shucks, I'm not sure about the Carmen Miranda look either.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 01:56 pm
Well, I saw half of one episode (the artist slob with the apartment that should have been a hallway) and I thought it was great fun. We stayed to see how it turned out instead of leaving for dinner, even though we were all hungry.

I don't think the show will lead to any great cataclysmic changes in American society, though a show that attempts to 'normalize" relationships between gay and straight men can't be all bad.

If it annoys the rigid, tradition-bound troglodytes of the moral majority at the same time, that's a plus.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:12 pm
thats the spirit, Its too foggy to go out fishing so we watched the second episode this AM. I have a feeling that many of the gay guys are posturing for some kind of tv role in the future. I know, Im thickheaded, When I have insights like that one, it appears deep to me alone, my wife said oh yeh? ya think so?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:59 pm
I was clicking through the channels last night and saw a few seconds of the show. When I realized what it was I kept on clicking the remote and eventually settled in for a nature show that dealt with some of the more interesting varieties of snake which slither around the planet.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 05:14 pm
Hey, welcome to A2K, Greyfan and those are my sentiments exactly.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:32 am
Good Grief! I missed it again. WHEN does it come on? What day what time?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:42 am
Go to:

http://www.bravotv.com/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:44 am
http://www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Guy/
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:47 am
THANKS!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:58 am
YOU'RE WELCOME! (Enjoy).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 09:16 am
Looks like NBC has picked this show up and it's now in their line-up right after "Will & Grace". Thursday nights - 9:30 PM Eastern/8:30 Central.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 09:39 am
NBC owns Bravo and they have contracted for twelve episodes. You're right, fisin' -- it's being picked up (sic) for an additional twelve episodes to be shown on NBC. The show has picked up the highest ratings ever for a show on Bravo.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 02:50 pm
I watched the show last night for the first time. I wasn't sure I'd sit through it--too much "Oh my God!" during the first 15 minutes as they surveyed the poor guy's crummy house--but I did enjoy it. I especially loved the end, when the girl friend shows up in her micro skirt, and one of the guys says, "There's a hooker in Trenton wondering who stole her boots!"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 03:25 pm
Laughing Yes, there's some great comic touches -- that's likely the origin of the word gay being used for the male counterpart making a lot of fun about the female/male self-identity. Of course, with Ellen Degeneres, it's now an open field on the hetero paranoia. I wonder how they screened the hetero men in the series -- they so far seem ambivalent about a bunch of homos swarming around them, especially nitpicking at their pre-determined life style. But as it's been said before, all gays are not necessarily high stylers. I still believe it's a facade when you see one dressing down to look abysmally straight -- it's straight drag.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 03:37 pm
I saw it for the first time last night too, D'art. I loved it.

What I saw was five guys who were warm, funny human beings. Compared to what I won't watch on a lot of raunchy, diggy, stupid, repetitive sit-coms, and to all those copy-cat shows with bikinis fighting over bikinis, this was a pleasant surprise.

Everybody was a human being, with some funny things happening. And most of it seemed real. The dig about the girlfriend's boots belonging to a hooker in Trenton was a real throw-away line.

Most TV has become such a wasteland that there's very little out there that reaches above grade 3. 6 Feet Under is about an undertaker's family, that's rich in plot and character development; The Sopranos is a slice of life that's real - warts and all. So much else just comes and goes, because it's difficult to tell where one below-grade series ends and another begins.

So bring it on - Fab 5. Can't wait for the next episode. Not everyone's cup of tea - but it's mine. (My husband thinks it's warm and funny, too.)
0 Replies