Five Gay Men. Out to Save the World.

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 03:40 pm
I agree with what you say here, mamajuana. One of my co-workers, who heard me raving about it, asked it it's a Reality Show. I said that it was, sort of, in that it involves real people (not actors). But there's no trickery and no humiliation, which seem to be essential to most Reality Shows.

And the basic premise, if there is one, makes sense: Women appreciate men who make an effort.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 04:34 pm
I watched some of this, and I think everyone learned something: not everybody likes foie gras. Go figure.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 04:49 pm
Lord love a duck! It was the liver of no return. Okay, I''ll stop...make me!

That wasn't an offer...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 11:54 am
Well I was wrong -- NBC has started showing "Queer Eye," but beginning with the first episode, after "Will and Grace." I taped it for my Mom and she loves it. Her only comment was that the artist's apartment in the episode was going to quickly end up lookin like it was! That's an interesting idea -- follow up on these subjects to see if their new look has either taken or they've turned gay.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 11:54 am
(Only kidding, nobody "turns gay," they already are and haven't cracked open the closet door).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:13 am
I finally caught it on Bravo last Thursday pm. It was pretty good, I liked all the guys except for the little blond one that kept making flirty little remarks to the guy they were working on. Totally unneccessary. But these reality shows are just such a turn-off. Don't like anything about them, from the staging to the filming. I probably won't watch the show after all.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:28 am
I can see where it will wear thin after a few viewings. The flirting is, of course, to show how comfortable the straight guy is with being kidded about his sexuality. The long hair "rock star" in the latest episode on Bravo (they're an hour long on that channel and edited down to a half hour on NBC), kidded them right back with, "...and then I get a boyfriend. :wink: " I suppose it's healthy, uncensored behaviour but you've seen it once, you've seen it a hundred times.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:33 am
I agree, Lightwizard. The problem with the show is it's a one-trick pony. You see it once, smile indulgently, and know that the next episode will be, essentially, a repeat of all the others.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:39 am
How many ungroomed, long hair straight guys do you want to see fawing over five gay guys for cutting their hair and styling it? Of course, like Jon Stewart pointed out, there could be a show where the straight guys teach a gay guy...how to watch sports. It's harder than one thinks! Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:42 am
Hey, we should all admit that it's only TV. I have less time now to devote to TV watching so I'd rather do what I'm doing right now -- watching "Topsy Turvey" for the second time on IFC. Later today, I bought the DVD version of "Sunday in the Park with George." The sound is a vast improvement over the VHS version and at least it won a Pulitzer and some Tony's!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:44 am
BTW, just to prove gay men can be just as superficial as straight men, there's likely hundreds of wine and cheese parties during the show in countless apartments in San Francisco! And I'm not being glib.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 11:34 am
There was a letter to the editor in yesterday's NY Times Arts section, responding to an article that had covered the show. The writer was upset with the show, because he says it offers stereotypical views of gay men.

While I have no dog in this fight, I can't agree with the writer. Sure, there are stereotypes at work in the show, to some extent, but the Fab Five are real, and clearly have interests and expertise in clothing, home decor, grooming and cooking. And they're witty and sometimes catty. Anyone who assumes from the above that all gay men are that way is wrong, of course, and I suppose that's the writer's beef. But, at the end of the day, it's just an entertaining TV show...
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 11:58 am
I agree, D'art - it's entertaining. Whether or not it will withstand the onslaughts of time - who knows? I've only seen one episode, so I don't know if this is a one-trick pony, or if there are more diversions.

But it had no gratuitous four-letter words (I don't object to four-letter words or sex - only when they are used to flesh out something that isn't there), it didn't pretend to be something it wasn't, and the people were having fun. Really having fun - no laugh track, just enjoying themselves and being natural. And - I like the blond guy - I think he's got some zing. He camps it up a bit, but so what. So many of the other shows seem all alike to me, and the reality shows are anything but.

I mostly watch movies. I'm a taping queen, and have caught some really terrific stuff on odd late night tv. But then - I also like Judge Judy and Jeopardy.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 12:23 pm
If you're invited to one of those wine and cheese parties, LW, be sure to go. At the risk of sounding stereotypical, gay men have been the hosts of the most beautiful and elaborate parties I've ever attended.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 03:18 pm
I once went to a party in Hollywood that did an "Aida" bit complete with the elephants. I gave new meaning to "stepping on one's lines."

Okay, I do get the philosophy so brilliantly described in "Auntie Mame:"

"Life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death."

These guys are playing themselves and it's a more honest presentation than most of the other reality shows. I don't know why straight people would be bothered by any stereotypes. Those who are well adjusted to the modern world are not put off by the effeminate mannerisms. They're all people that seem to be likable and one would want to know and associate with. They might even make you look better and feel better!
So disregard any cynical remarks I may have made -- it's part of the job Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:13 am
I watched it last night. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the previous week. This week's straight guy seemed almost eager to do whatever the Fab 5 suggested, while the week before, the guy was a bit hesitant at times. Made for some interesting drama and a bit of tension, which was fun. Last night's guy seemed really malleable; I suspect his wife-to-be will run him ragged...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:41 am
I only managed to watch the first 15 minutes or so, but I loved it! Jai was my fave, I think.

I'm hoping that they show the same episode on NBC on Thursday, so I can see what happens (even if it's the truncated version.)

I also watched some of "Boy Meets Boy", and it was pretty funny. I love the whole aspect that the "contestants" might decide they like each other better than the guy they're trying to snag.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:37 am
I think they show a truncated version, sozobe. If you feel like you're missing anything, let me know and I'll try to fill in the gaps.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:39 am
Thanks! (I'm sure it's truncated, just not sure if it's the same episode -- i.e. 1-hour version of the "proposal" episode on Tuesday on Bravo, and then 1/2 hour version of the "proposal" episode on Thursday on NBC.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 12:39 pm
Well, they had an ideal specimen which needed a little polishing around the edges but he did seem to be genuinely nervous about impressing his girlfriend and getting a yes to the proposal. I thought what they did do was earnestly trying to help the guy out but the "bringing him up to her level" part made me nervous. I think that marriage has about as much chance of lasting as Nicholas Gage's last endeavor. She was a bit cloying to say the least.
0 Replies