Pacco

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:58 pm
Pacco has been in trouble for a while and I haven't posted on it, almost too depressing to type.

He'd been seen by a veterinarian who himself owned corgis, up in north north, and his staff, and liked going there.

I didn't immediately take him to a veterinarian in Albuquerque because he wasn't due for anything, and I didn't know one veterinary place from another. I did take him to a few places to get his nails clipped, as I'm a wimp at that.

Finally I took him to a very local place and I somewhat liked the vet and really didn't like the nail clipping person. In the meantime, some friends told me about a sharp vet a town or so away.

Meantime he started slipping with his hind paws.

First saw it probably just after I took him for that first nail clipping, not to blame them, but that was twice in and out of the car, and we noticed the problem at Dys and Diane's... where he had trouble getting a grip to hump Sally sideways as usual. (I'm not positive of those two episodes, but think so.)

I worried more and more as that continued.

More and more over the months, his paws just flap backwards and legs splay outwards, more on tile than rug..
and then, more recently, also on rug.

Took him to the more admired veterinarian, and indeed, he was much more patient and seemingly dog and owner oriented than the last place, and didn't charge more - if anything, less.

He watched Pacco struggle and mentioned various possibilities, and ways to find out, none of which I can afford. He did notice that Pacco seemed (let me not put words for him, just that he noticed Pacco was not unhappy) but he expressed that after he told me about various nerve damage possibities.

About a day after that, I figured out it was me, lifting Pacco to the car that messed up some nerve connection - one needs to be careful lifting long dogs...

I'd bought him a pricey to me thing to gain access to a car, but I hated it.
We both did, even though it was something like $107.00.
Not long enough to give a really easy angle for him, and heavy, and hot in the summer, and Pacco didn't want to walk up it.
So, after that I lifted him, sometimes well, maybe sometimes less well.

So today I saw on the link ehBeth gave, chasing up different breeds, that corgis are apt to get a certain syndrome.
And this one makes complete sense. -
http://www.caninegeneticdiseases.net/dm/index.html

I did notice comments about that when I first got the Pacc from the humane society, when I did a batch of online research, but I saw no indicator. As I get it now, I guess I'm not surprised.

I weep. I'll stop with that as a primary mode one of these hours. I can't keep him going in the way that littleK did Boo. But he's okay right now, it's me that's a mess.

I'll get a grip too. But I can't keep bills up on this. I can't personally go to the dentist.

There seems to be some kind of corgi society, but I'm am doubting if the Pacc gets to count.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,829 • Replies: 216
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 11:29 pm
I knew it as soon as I saw the title, but had to open it anyway.

I'm so sorry to hear it's gotten worse. I was also hoping it was just something about the long toe nails, but it couldn't have been that easy, could it?

I know it's not your nature to discuss this in public, but if there's anything I can do, let me know.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 11:59 pm
Very sorry to hear it, Osso.

May he be happy and comfortable for a long time yet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 12:13 am
Thank you, Roger. I won't do anything immediately. Not to mention diagnosis is presumptive on my part, but I don't suppose I'm wrong. Pacco is way older, whatever age he is, 12 - 15, best guess now 14 - 15...
and the symptoms fit. Yes, we'll go back to the vet.

When I let go, I'll certainly need ballast, from far and near. He's seen me through and over breast cancer and 9/11, many good walks, gallery days and yard romps ----and then a giant drive in a volvo from near Oregon to the very southwest.

This isn't a goodby Pacco thread, but an alert, not least to me, to gather old photos and try to get them here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 12:49 am
OK, so, after more weeps, I would like to not do a memorial for Pacco now, since he is sitting nearby quite happily...
but a celebration of him and other of our dogs.

Hey, littleK, I still can't get into your website any more (we need to figure that out, I think my yahoo may be the problem)..
but there is at least one Pacco photo there. Feel free to post it or them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 12:50 am
Dear osso,

I am braving a very slow & most uncooperative A2K, right now to communicate with you. Will I get through?

Ah dammit, these critters are heart-breakers, aren't they? We take them in, they steal our hearts .... then they get older at such an alarming rate compared to us. Who ever is responsible for The Plan badly got things wrong here! They should stick around as long as we do. That seems perfectly reasonable to me!

In the meantime, osso, I know about the waiting & watching stuff that you're going through. Many of us here do. It's certainly not an easy process.

But as you've pointed out, this is not a "goodbye Pacco" thread.
I'll bet, despite his difficulties, that he still enjoys his daily treats & pleasures. I'll bet he thinks you're terrific & tells you this, in his own way, every day. I figured, a long time ago, that when a beloved critter reaches this stage there's only one thing to do: indulge them. Give them lots of what they love each day. Reassure them in their wobbly moments. Spend lots of time with them. Most of all, enjoy the time you have left with them. You know, I haven't a doubt that this is exactly what you're already doing, osso. He's a lucky critter to have found you.

May there be many more good moments for Pacco to enjoy yet. Very Happy

Hugs to you,
Olga
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 01:20 am
Thank you, Olga..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 01:33 am
I missed thanking dlowan, who I know understands.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 05:42 am
I remember watching my German Shepard lose her hip strength.

She couldnt walk. She couldnt hold her urine.
It was pretty bad.
But my mother and I refused to give her these god awful, truly complicated treatments when she was 14 anyway, and not guaranteed a long life after them.

I remember that helpless, lost feeling.
It engulfed me. Even now. almost 4 years after her death.

I understand how you are feeling. And I am so sorry you have to be there now. I wish there was something I could do for you, but.. well..
you moved too far away. Wink I know you were shooting for texas.. I just know it.
Just imagine the biggest, longest, most peaceful hug you can, because if I ever get my hands on you, that is the first thing Im doing.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 05:56 am
Weepy as I write. I know how you feel and I feel it with you. I know the feeling of not being able to afford things for Pacco (and you) and of feeling bad about it. Of making the hard decisions.

I'm with you, kid. You know that. Enjoy the time that remains. Could be short. Could be long. You don't know.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 07:01 am
Aw, poor pup. Poor you. Hugs to both.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 08:35 am
Pacco
Dolly and Madison send hugs to Pacco.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 08:46 am
Osso, I am so sorry to hear this news. You do remember my time with Bootsie at the end of her life. It was a long stressful stretch. The wretched part of this disease is that it doesn't kill the animals it affects. The pet's person has to struggle with that decision. Keep an eye out for signs of pain, sometimes the muscles and old bones can get achy from unaccustomed use (or disuse). There are doggie anti-inflamatories. They are kind of expensive. I could have waited longer before putting Booboo down, I should probably have done it earlier. Especially with this disease, the decision is yours. People kept telling me I'd know wehn to do it. I was watching for clues from my babydog. You should be watching for clues from you.

Big hug to you and Pacco.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 09:39 am
Poor Pacco.

Hugs all around.

I know what you are going through, struggling financially and emotionally with what to do.

When Zoe was so sick it was like "what do we do?" $200 every 2 weeks, $800 emergency visits, all adding up to a bill we couldn't pay.

We all know Pacco will get the best you can give. And like littlek said, you'll know when the time is right to let go, despite how hard it will be. Because you love you babydog and only want the best for him.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 09:48 am
Bella, I wasn't saying she'd know. I said other people said I'd know. It was never clear to me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 09:56 am
Like roger, I was scared to open this. Not having any backstory though I was worried that something had already happened -- a car, something. So in that sense it is a relative relief. He's still here, you have time.

In another sense I imagine it's almost harder, since so many difficult decisions fall to you.

Sending much love, and glad to see that there are others here -- littlek, Roberta, dlowan -- who know exactly what you're going through. (While I have a deep and abiding love of animals, I haven't owned one as an adult, and so have thus far been spared the decision-making side of this.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 10:19 am
littlek wrote:
Bella, I wasn't saying she'd know. I said other people said I'd know. It was never clear to me.

Sorry.... I apologize for putting words in your mouth (on the screen)

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 10:31 am
littlek wrote:

I don't think it's the animal that gives you the time, but rather a point comes when the agony of dealing with pet's suffering overwhelms the pain of having to part with the pet.

I'm sorry you're going through this Osso, I know you will use this time to love and pamper your baby. Please don't blame any of this on yourself, you're everything a dog could ask for. Remember humans designed corgis', not nature, and with that custom design comes benefits and problems.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 10:34 am
oh osso...I'm getting weepy too....I'll be thinking of Pacco.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 11:05 am
Good morning all, and thank you, everybody, Roberta, Shewolf, Jespah, Bumblebee, Bella, Sozobe, littleK, Greenie, Chai, and last night, Roger, dlowan, msolga.

I guess I'm relieved that I didn't cause it by picking him up improperly, which is what I had been thinking I must have done, until I read that link.

The lifting will be hard for me and that will probably affect my timing on the big decision.

Meantime, we'll keep up our corgi - human conversation. We've always been close, since that day I saw him in his cage at the humane society and we locked eyes. Right now he's close by, on the rug, lightly growling in his sleep in response to the barking young beagle next door.
0 Replies