Pacco

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 11:37 am
Sallydog says "hey Paco, why don't you come up and see me sometime?""
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 11:38 am
osso,

It's been awhile...a very long while since I've been here and this thread is the first I looked at after logging in. My heart breaks for you and I can feel what you are going through, having been there myself. I wish I could find words of comfort that I could wrap around you and Pacco to make everything easier. Pacco is so very lucky to have you as you are to have him. In any relationship, with great love there will also inevitably be great sorrow, it seems. You love each other deeply and unconditionally and that, in itself, is a blessing not everyone can say they have had in a lifetime. Much love to you both......
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 11:48 am
I'll bring him over, Dys. Sally is good for Pacco...

Lady J, we've missed you. And thank you for your kind thoughts.

I'm remembering when Tartarin made the decision for her corgi, Cricket. She took him down to his favorite spot to play by a creek for a little bit, and then to the veterinarian's office. I'm thinking, suddenly remembering Cricket had this same disorder.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 11:56 am
Osso--

I'm so sorry for Pacco and even more sorry for you.

Several years ago, after much mess and suffering, we had Laddie put to sleep. I was never particularly fond of Laddie (he was a "gift" from a stepson who couldn't keep up with the responsibility) but in his last months I gained an enormous respect for Laddie's courage and matter-of-fact acceptance of his failing strength and dignity.

He's become one of my ghosts who frequently gives me excellent advice on living with the inevitable.

Remember, you always knew Pacco was mortal. The only difference is that you see the horizon now and realize that you'll be living without him.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 12:32 pm
From my deceased Domino to your courageous Pacco, Osso.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images11/American%20Eskimo%20dog4yearsMVC-623F1.JPG

http://www.polyphonicringtonez.com/image_preview/1129-B4-P.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 01:05 pm
Thanks, Noddy. Pacco has always been Mr. Courage. Except that he's shied away from purses and, sometimes, doorways.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/paccoandthriftshopvelvet.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/FH000001-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/FH000003-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/FH000002-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/FH000011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/FH000015-1.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 01:19 pm
What a beautiful dog, Letty!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 02:29 pm
Quote:
Pacco has always been Mr. Courage. Except that he's shied away from purses and, sometimes, doorways.

Obviously he's not a materialist and he has ingrained respect for times and areas of transition. He does not take transition lightly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 02:34 pm
I've always been spare with the food treats. I can't let him gain weight, but I think I'm going to be somewhat less treat-spare.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 04:10 pm
This whole being-a-grownup-and-making-decisions thing is just awful.

I was hollering at Setanta last night while I was watching Westminster - THIS IS THE ONE LIKE PACCO! THIS IS THE ONE LIKE BOO!

Not having met Pacco in person, I was ascribing every Corgi quality mentioned in the play-by-play, to him. He was definitely on my mind while you were here, talking about him. Did I hear that?

OssoB, you're the best owner Pacco could ever want - you understand him, love him, listen to him, schmooze with and about him - and now you've brought Sally into his life. Having a regular friend's great for a dog.

Maybe a matter of coincidence but I was looking at a website last night, looking for good low-fat dog treats, and what did I find but green beans, which I just happened to be cooking. Turns out both of the pups here love green beans - raw, steamed, and sauteed with sesame oil. I think I'll occasionally add green beans to the carrots in the daily dog broth - makes me (and them) think they're getting special treats, without any real cost.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 05:12 pm
Osso, I wish there were words that could help. If they exist, I wish I knew what they are so I could say them. If knowing that there are others who care about you and who care what you and Pacco are going through is any consolation, then be consoled.

This is one of those time when I wish I weren't 1000 miles away. I'd come sit just to sit if I could.

<sending special thoughts to you both>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 06:03 pm
Thank you, my pal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 06:07 pm
I just saw your post, Beth. That is nice to hear about the Westminister play by play...
and a good hint about the green beans. (He already likes carrots..)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 06:13 pm
When I was there with Boo, I thought about letting her eat anything she wanted. I thought twice, Osso. Here's why. I figured that the more weight she carried the harder it would be for her to get around (while she still could). Once she was immobile, I fed her treats like crazy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 06:22 pm
segue;
When my brother was in critical condition in the hospital and not expected to live out the week, he was restricted to NO water and the night before he died I was with him and he begged me for a glass of water. I asked the nurse who told me he was in total renal failure and water would not be good for him. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and literally begged for some water. I got him a pitcher of water, he died 8 hours later. I have no regrets.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 08:14 pm
Aw, dys, I would have done that too.

On treats - for years I haven't let him get beefy because of the business about how hard it is for a dog of his proportions to carry weight, and given that he has this syndrome - which I figure he probably has had, perhaps even the length of time I've had him with me, and I hadn't picked it up - anyway, as long as he's mobile, I don't want him to have the weight.

The vet noticed his bunny rabbit, my words, "running" maneuver, which he's had since I've known him. I thought that was probably typical of corgies.

I've known since the appointment with the new vet, about a month ago, that it's neurological, just not the prognosis. (His brain doesn't register that the paws go the wrong direction...) I can't financially swing MRI, cat scan, to pinpoint the problem.... but that link was right on in the description. The vet said he's not in pain, he can see he's a happy dog.

I've been conjecturing on what kind of thing I can rig up, like a dolly - we used to have one made of two x four frame with relatively thin plywood on top and then a rug over that and wheels at the corners - something like that but maybe lighter, and more cushioned, with some handle... so I could help him get outside more easily for both of us. The computer and my easel and paperwork are all in the room furthest from the back door... and he likes to hang by me. Would have to get a telephone jack in the living room to switch the computer there, that being close to both front and back doors. Even if I moved all that to the living room, I could still use a "dolly". Oh, well, I might make the decision before that.

We waited too long for one of our cats, and .. thus... I'd rather be early on it. (geez...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 08:17 pm
Time for a mood lightener. I'll be back with a photo of a friend's corgi mixes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 08:45 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/Diego--Lola-6-18-2005-2.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 10:07 pm
Ah, it is always a dilemma, osso. I still get watery eyes when thinking
about my last dog while our present one is in the meantime also
13 or 14 years old. It never is easy to let go and I wish we could have
our little friends around as long as we live.

All you can do is spend lots of time with Pacco, and as long as he isn't in pain, there are options to make his life easier. Get him a pet stroller or a little wagon to push around. If he needs to get into the car you could use
a wide wood board, lean it against the car and let him walk up.

We're all here for you, osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 10:21 pm
Hi, and thanks, cj.
I agree on the wood board, maybe a 4 x 10, 1/2" or 3/4" marine ply (can't remember if it comes in 1/2"), cut to, hmmm, 24" wide. 2 x 10, hard to stack in the car, so maybe 2 x 7.... cut from a 4 x 8 piece of ply, with some kind of cover for traction. A regular, say, 1 x 14, would be too narrow with the splaying.
Well, that strikes me as hard for him, and I can lift him at 37 pounds, usually, though not exactly easily.
0 Replies