THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

okie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 10:14 am
Interesting news this morning, predictable, Obama says he wants to stick to his timetable to withdraw all troops from Iraq, but is hedging his bets by saying now he will consult with his commanders before committing to specific dates. Hmmm, that is what Bush has been doing since Day 1. I thought Obama thought that was all wrong? Or was I hearing things during the campaign?

So now if Obama consults with his commanders and essentially takes their advice, he is largely doing what Bush has done and will do. If he doesn't take their advice, then he essentially says you experts don't know what you are doing so do what I want you to do, and if it fails, then we can blame Obama completely, right folks?
okie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 10:21 am
@okie,
By the way, this after all of Obama's pledges during the campaign, which alot of us knew was a complete crock.

And what a novel idea he has now come up with, consult with the commanders! What brilliance! This is so impressive, I am beginning to be very impressed now!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 04:59 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
Interesting news this morning, predictable, Obama says he wants to stick to his timetable to withdraw all troops from Iraq, but is hedging his bets by saying now he will consult with his commanders before committing to specific dates. Hmmm, that is what Bush has been doing since Day 1. I thought Obama thought that was all wrong? Or was I hearing things during the campaign?

I think you were not hearing things during the campaign. This here is from an article from July 4th:

on July 4, 2008, the Los Angeles Times wrote:
Democrat Barack Obama said today that he continues to be committed to withdrawing U.S. combat troops from Iraq in 16 months, after his earlier comments raised questions about whether he was softening his position.

“Here is what I can tell you,” Obama said in a second news conference on Iraq. “I will bring our troops out one to two brigades a month. That’s what I intend to do as president of the United States.”

Earlier, Obama had emphasized that he might revise his proposed timetable for pulling U.S. combat troops from Iraq, saying he needed to consult with U.S. commanders and do a “thorough assessment of the situation.”

The comments at the first news conference here seemed to be a shift in focus by Obama, a staunch opponent of the Iraq war. At both news conferences, Obama maintained that he had not changed his position.

In the past, Obama has stressed his plan to begin a withdrawal immediately and complete it within 16 months, although he also has carefully hedged, leaving the option of taking more time " and leaving more troops " if events require.

At his first news conference, Obama did not explicitly say he would stick to the 16-month timetable, which appeared to depart from a statement on his website pledging that he will “have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months.”

At both news conferences, Obama was asked whether he now advocates a slower timetable, but he insisted that his position hasn’t changed.

“I’ve always said that I would listen to commanders on the ground,” Obama said at the first news conference. “I’ve always said the pace of withdrawal would be dictated by the safety and security of our troops and the need to maintain stability. That assessment has not changed.”

He added that his timeline was always contingent on keeping the troops safe.

“I said that based on the information that we had received from our commanders that one to two brigades a month could be pulled out safely from a logistical perspective,” he said. “And my guiding approach continues to be that our troops are safe and that Iraq is stable.”

Now granted, you can argue that back then, during the campaign, he stepped back from a rigid 16-months timetable.

On the other hand, since then, President Bush has agreed to a fixed 'time horizon' for withdrawal, too. Something he previously said would be impossible, because it would embolden the enemy, would confuse the Iraqis and would send the wrong signal to American soldiers.

You can argue that the Bush administration has argued that withdrawal regardless of conditions on the ground was not possible, but you'd find it hard to show how the adminstration was in favour of a set time horizon for withdrawal since Day 1.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 05:16 pm
@old europe,
oe, You're wasting your time trying to explain things to okie. He has his mindset on what he thinks are facts, but manages to make assertions that only his brain is able to create. Somewhere along the way, okie has lost his ability to translate information in the same way most people are able to. Once in a great while, okie is able to post some insightful piece that seems to come from somebody else.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 05:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
... "we" exacerbated the recruitment of al Qaeda in Iraq ... That holds true for the growth of al Qaeda throughout the world, and their comcommitant violence enacted in their name.

Al-Qaeda grew in Afghanistan, 1996 t0 1999,from less than a hundred to more than 10,000.

Al-Qaeda that had fled from Afghanistan to Iraq in December 2001 after our invasion of Afghanistan in October 2001, grew in Iraq by March 2003, when the USA invaded Iraq, from less than three-hundred to more than 1000.

What is the current al-Qaeda population in Iraq?

How many al-Qaeda would there now be in Iraq and in the rest of the world, as of November 2008, had the USA not invaded Iraq?
hamburger

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 06:08 pm
@ican711nm,
ican wrote :

Quote:
How many al-Qaeda would there now be in Iraq and in the rest of the world, as of November 2008, had the USA not invaded Iraq?

i have not seen any evidence that the al-qaeda movement has fewer members/adherents now than it did in the past .
there is eveidence that they have actually spread out into other countries .
hbg

read complete report :
http://asharqalawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=2&id=14131

from the above link :

Quote:
Al-Qaeda... In Sanaa and Beyond

21/09/2008
By Tariq Alhomayed

Al-Qaeda's attempt to storm the U.S. embassy in Sanaa is an indication that the terrorist organization is regrouping and reestablishing its power in Yemen, where it is utilizing various factors and circumstances in order to create a safe haven for itself there.

With increased military operations in Pakistan and Afghanistan and the endeavors of the Iraqi Awakening Councils against it, the Al-Qaeda organization has started fleeing to Yemen in order to escape and regroup there. Moreover, A Yemeni source told Newsweek magazine that the authorities are aware of this fact and of the threat members of the organization returning from Iraq pose, who are now better trained and more dangerous.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 07:39 pm
@hamburger,
hbg, You're wasting your time with ican; he can't understand all those articles about how al Qaeda has grown around the world since Bush started his war in 2003. He has a one-track mind that doesn't allow him the freedom to accept all those evidence reported by the media from around the world about al Qaeda's violence in London, Madrid, Indonesia, Philippines, Mumbai, and others in Iraq and the Middle East.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 10:19 pm
@old europe,
oe, for Obama to advocate a 16 month timetable before consulting with commanders, then hedging it, shows a lack of honesty. How can he propose any timetable if he doesn't have all the information, that was my point, and I think he should have known that from Day 1. Proposing any timetable was foolish without all the information that he needed. He proposed a timetable strictly for political purposes, nothing more. What we are ending up with is pretty much what Bush proposed originally, and what Bush is doing now, because it was Bush that made the right decisions based upon all the best military advice and information. All Obama was doing was based upon not much information, strictly for political purposes, and he knew it. He now is doing the logical thing, pretty much what Bush was doing, that is the ironic point in this whole issue.

Thats like an a self proclaimed expert with no expertise at all telling another person following the experts that they are doing it all wrong, and proposing something totally different, then hedging his bets by saying when he is in charge he will consult the experts, which will tell him to do it exactly like the other guy already following the best advice is already doing. I don't call that change. I call it arrogance and ignorance.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:19 am
@okie,
okie, You're not listening; Obama gave 16 months as a target date, but also said he will speak to the generals before making a decision. You are an embarrassment to yourself.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:37 am
@ican711nm,

Icant wrote:

A good deal fewer.

I've just been reading about the Wahabi sect and islamic fundamentalism in the book "God's Terrorists" by Charles Allen. These folks have been busy for centuries. Trying to bring democracy by bombing is doomed to failure.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 07:49 am

Guantanamo "a stain on US military"- former prosecutor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7761315.stm
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 08:09 am
Quote:
When the defense secretary was asked whether he considers himself "at odds" with Obama's position on a timetable for withdrawal, Gates said that while Obama continues to make clear the importance of a timetable, he believes Obama will withdraw American troops responsibly.

"I think that I would subscribe to what the president-elect said yesterday in Chicago," Gates said. "He repeated his desire to try and get our combat forces out within 16 months, but he also said that he wanted to have a responsible drawdown. And he also said that he was prepared to listen to his commanders."

When pushed on the issue, Gates pointed out that the SOFA has significantly changed the situation in Iraq and therefore his outlook on the timetable.

"We are going to be out of all populated areas of Iraq by the end of June 2009," said the secretary. "I'm less concerned about that timetable. First of all, we have a definite timetable now in the SOFA. It's a longer one, but it's a definite timetable. So that bridge has been crossed. And so the question is how do we do this in a responsible way. And nobody wants to put at risk the gains that have been achieved with so much sacrifice on the part of our soldiers and the Iraqis at this point. And so I think that the president-elect framed it just right yesterday.

source
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 09:45 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

oe, for Obama to advocate a 16 month timetable before consulting with commanders, then hedging it, shows a lack of honesty. How can he propose any timetable if he doesn't have all the information, that was my point, and I think he should have known that from Day 1. Proposing any timetable was foolish without all the information that he needed. He proposed a timetable strictly for political purposes, nothing more. What we are ending up with is pretty much what Bush proposed originally, and what Bush is doing now, because it was Bush that made the right decisions based upon all the best military advice and information. All Obama was doing was based upon not much information, strictly for political purposes, and he knew it. He now is doing the logical thing, pretty much what Bush was doing, that is the ironic point in this whole issue.

Thats like an a self proclaimed expert with no expertise at all telling another person following the experts that they are doing it all wrong, and proposing something totally different, then hedging his bets by saying when he is in charge he will consult the experts, which will tell him to do it exactly like the other guy already following the best advice is already doing. I don't call that change. I call it arrogance and ignorance.

okie, do you need help finding all the statements by Bush where he declared that there can never be such a thing as a timetable? Back then, people pointed out that eventually, when the commanders on the ground would say "hey, our job here is done", there would have to be something like a timetable. To claim that there would never be a plan for a phased withdrawal, that you could never publicly announce steps for withdrawing American troops, because it would merely tell the terrorists how long they'd have to hide and wait to resume their attacks - all of that looks rather foolish now that Bush himself has agreed to a "time horizon".

However, insisting that there be a timetable is definitely not "pretty much what Bush was doing". It's what Bush has come around to in the last five months. Not that I fault him for it, but it was certainly not his position "from Day 1".

Now, you can certainly argue that Obama has modified his position from "we'll withdraw within 16 months" to "in consultation with commanders on the ground, we'll try to withdraw within 16 months". Fair enough.

But you should also be able to see that the position of the Bush administration has shifted dramatically. If you want to argue that both Bush and Obama have changed their positions and met somewhere in the middle - fine. Arguing that Bush never changed his position, and that Obama is the one who's making contradictory statements - that kinda makes you look silly.
okie

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 10:06 am
@old europe,
oe, it doesn't take anyone with great brilliance to see that a timetable at previous points in the war was very unwise, which Bush pointed out, but now that success is far more likely in Iraq now, and the Iraqis appear to be more prepared to govern and protect themselves, a timetable does seem more logical. Of course a timetable eventually becomes necessary to eventually withdraw, but Bush was very wise not to say there would be one, that the fight was openended. But a timetable now in no way proves that a timetable 3 years ago or 2 years ago, or even a year ago, was advisable.

You guys will continue to defend Obama because he is your man, but it was obvious to me that his timetable of 16 months was nothing more than posturing for his campaign, and it was based on ignorance or an uninformed opinion in regard to Iraq. To state it another way, it is akin to describing a fix for your car without knowing what is wrong with it, then when you have responsibility for fixing it you then pledge to talk to the mechanics before coming up with a final fix.

I am not in the tank for Obama as many of you are, and face it - he has not even taken office yet, who really knows what he will do? We are left guessing, but one thing sure - the 16 month thing was nothing more than campaign fodder. It was stupid to propose in the first place without consulting the commanders.
old europe

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 10:31 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
oe, it doesn't take anyone with great brilliance to see that a timetable at previous points in the war was very unwise, which Bush pointed out, but now that success is far more likely in Iraq now, and the Iraqis appear to be more prepared to govern and protect themselves, a timetable does seem more logical. Of course a timetable eventually becomes necessary to eventually withdraw. But a timetable now in no way proves that a timetable 3 years ago or 2 years ago, or even a year ago, was advisable.

That is not what was said at the time. Bush never said "sure, once things are better, we'll have a timetable". Let's see what he actually said:

George W Bush wrote:
A fixed timetable for withdrawal, in my judgment, means defeat.

There you go.

Now, I'm not saying that what you purport to be (and always have been) this administration's position on a timetable for withdrawal is unreasonable. In fact, I have argued in the past that I saw Iraq pretty much as a case of "you broke it, you own it", that America should stay and fix things - possibly in the context of a UN peacekeeping mission - and that the enormous cost of the Iraq War is something that America deserves to pay for ignoring all the warnings by its allies, for ignoring the rejection of a UN mandate, for ignoring the warnings given by other intelligence services and by the UN weapons inspectors.

It's just that Bush, as far as I know, never actually said that a timetable for withdrawal would eventually be necessary, and that America would eventually prepare for a phased withdrawal. In fact, Bush was criticised because the only conclusion that could have been drawn from his statements was that this was an open-ended commitment, that there would never be a fixed timetable, that a timetable meant defeat, etc. etc.

But if you can point me to a Bush statement where he actually said that there would, eventually, be a timetable, then feel free to share your knowledge.

okie wrote:
You guys will continue to defend Obama because he is your man,

You're funny, okie. You come here to claim that Obama has flip-flopped, that now that he is elected he modifies his position by by saying that he would consult with his commanders before committing to specific dates - and when I point out that no, this is actually what he said during the campaign, you accuse me of defending no matter what he says.

Let's be clear here: you were wrong. This is not a new position Obama is taking. Obama has made exactly the same statements during the campaign.

I'm not defending Obama. I'm pointing out that you didn't get your facts straight.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 11:14 am
@old europe,
okie has no facts; he relies on his own memory that has failed him the majority of times on most topics on a2k.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 11:32 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

That is not what was said at the time. Bush never said "sure, once things are better, we'll have a timetable". Let's see what he actually said:

George W Bush wrote:
A fixed timetable for withdrawal, in my judgment, means defeat.

At the time he said that, it was correct. Things change, and things have gotten alot better in Iraq. Wake up, oe, this is not complicated to understand.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:21 pm
@okie,
What Bush says doesn't mean anything; most times it's not backed by any strategy or facts. Bush's so-called "judgement" is a laugher; he's never done anything right during his eight years in office.

That you wish to give "credit" to Bush for saying "A fixed timetable for withdrawal, in my judgement, means defeat." only tells us that he doesn't know how to set goals for winning. He has never delineated what "win" means in Iraq. Without knowing what "win" is, his use of "defeat" means absolutely nothing.
okie

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Your brain is in reverse, or non-existent, compared to George, ci, give it up.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 02:17 pm
@okie,
It's a wonder you don't take your own advise after most on a2k has challenged most of what you opine.
0 Replies