THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:08 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Our leaders do not want to leave prematurely, that is true. They want Iraq to have the best possible shot at maintaining a new, and therefore naturally shaky, democracy in the face of very evil people who would deny them that ability. I believe the Iraqi leadership wants what we want for them. Of course they want the prestige of being able to show that they can accomplish that without having the USA at their backs. They are also realistic enough to know what risks they will be taking should they ask us to leave too soon.

Shouldn't Iraq get to decide when we leave? What is 'prematurely?'

Your paragraph is exactly the kind of thing I thought I would see written by those who don't want the US to leave and abandon our 'interests' there.

Cycloptichorn

How do you conclude, other than from your own prejudice, that I don't want the US to leave. Did I say that? Have I EVER said that? If so please post the quote because I damn sure don't remember ever even thinking that, much less writing it.

Did I say that Iraq shouldn't get to decide when we leave? If so where did I say that? I can recall numerous times I have posted that they did have the right to decide that. I don't recall that I ever posted that they didn't.

Did I say that the USA shouldn't get to decide when to leave? If so where did I say that? I don't recall EVER addressing that particular issue anywhere though I have said numerous times that the USA is committed to leaving at such time as Iraq asks them to go.

Do I want Iraq to be a free, successful, prosperous country that is an excellent role model in a sea of despotic nations? Absolutely. Do I see that as a good thing for them, for the world, for us? Yes I do. Do I think it is worth taking the necessary steps to give Iraq the best chance to make that happen? Yes I do. Do I think that requires our never leaving or being there for a very long time? No I don't.

So your insinuations, mischaracterizations, and misstatements look pretty darn silly. As they are. Your questions are almost as silly. Prematurely means to declare defeat and leave Iraq to a certain fate of resuming its status as another poor despotic nation with the possibility of becoming as dangerous as before.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:57 pm
Quote:
Prematurely means to declare defeat and leave Iraq to a certain fate of resuming its status as another poor despotic nation with the possibility of becoming as dangerous as before.

Since Iraq wasn't dangerous at the time of invasion; any time we leave; we will leave Iraq more dangerous than it was before.

We had no problem of leaving Afghanistan before the job was done and now Afghanistan is in worse condition than it was before we invaded it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:58 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Our leaders do not want to leave prematurely, that is true. They want Iraq to have the best possible shot at maintaining a new, and therefore naturally shaky, democracy in the face of very evil people who would deny them that ability. I believe the Iraqi leadership wants what we want for them. Of course they want the prestige of being able to show that they can accomplish that without having the USA at their backs. They are also realistic enough to know what risks they will be taking should they ask us to leave too soon.

Shouldn't Iraq get to decide when we leave? What is 'prematurely?'

Your paragraph is exactly the kind of thing I thought I would see written by those who don't want the US to leave and abandon our 'interests' there.

Cycloptichorn

How do you conclude, other than from your own prejudice, that I don't want the US to leave. Did I say that? Have I EVER said that? If so please post the quote because I damn sure don't remember ever even thinking that, much less writing it.

Did I say that Iraq shouldn't get to decide when we leave? If so where did I say that? I can recall numerous times I have posted that they did have the right to decide that. I don't recall that I ever posted that they didn't.

Did I say that the USA shouldn't get to decide when to leave? If so where did I say that? I don't recall EVER addressing that particular issue anywhere though I have said numerous times that the USA is committed to leaving at such time as Iraq asks them to go.

Do I want Iraq to be a free, successful, prosperous country that is an excellent role model in a sea of despotic nations? Absolutely. Do I see that as a good thing for them, for the world, for us? Yes I do. Do I think it is worth taking the necessary steps to give Iraq the best chance to make that happen? Yes I do. Do I think that requires our never leaving or being there for a very long time? No I don't.

So your insinuations, mischaracterizations, and misstatements look pretty darn silly. As they are. Your questions are almost as silly. Prematurely means to declare defeat and leave Iraq to a certain fate of resuming its status as another poor despotic nation with the possibility of becoming as dangerous as before.

Fox,

Can you point out to me which one of my lines accused you of anything?

I asked a question, and then observed that your phrasing is the likely argument that will be made by those who would put off our leaving as long as possible, so as to better secure our interests there.

Your last paragraph is sort of telling, because Iraq will be a poor, despotic nation no matter when we leave; that's not changing any time soon... and there will always be the possibility that they will become dangerous in the future.

You and McG seem to think that appearances are more important then actually bringing the troops home, that expectations trump lives, that who decides when we leave is more important then when we leave. I couldn't disagree more, and think that such notions are silly.

You state that:

Quote:
Do I think that requires our never leaving or being there for a very long time? No I don't.

Okay, great. So when the PM of Iraq says 'we want a firm date for leaving' and the US leader, Bush, says 'we reject putting a date on leaving,' how would you characterize the situation other then 'the Iraqis want us to have a date for leaving, and we don't want that?'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:22 pm
Cyclo wrote: Okay, great. So when the PM of Iraq says 'we want a firm date for leaving' and the US leader, Bush, says 'we reject putting a date on leaving,' how would you characterize the situation other then 'the Iraqis want us to have a date for leaving, and we don't want that?'

Since Bush already stated often that we would leave when Iraq asks us to leave, Bush lied again.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:24 pm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:25 pm
It's not unusual for a dry-drunk to lie.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:26 pm
http://www.malachymccourt.com/pages/bush-state.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:32 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Okay, great. So when the PM of Iraq says 'we want a firm date for leaving' and the US leader, Bush, says 'we reject putting a date on leaving,' how would you characterize the situation other then 'the Iraqis want us to have a date for leaving, and we don't want that?'

Cycloptichorn

I would characterize it as Iraqi government leaders vying for re-election pandering to their groups by asking a question they already know the answer to. They know Bush will not give them a time table for US troop witdrawal. He has repeatedly stated such.

Obviously you want to characterize it as something else and that's fine for you. Just don't believe that your POV is the only one and is hardly the right one.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:34 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I would characterize it as Iraqi government leaders vying for re-election pandering to their groups by asking a question they already know the answer to. They know Bush will not give them a time table for US troop witdrawal. He has repeatedly stated such.

Obviously you want to characterize it as something else and that's fine for you. Just don't believe that your POV is the only one and is hardly the right one.

Interesting that you seem to be convinced that Maliki is lying on this issue, but also convinced that Bush isn't. Do you have any proof that Maliki isn't being honest? My guess is, not so much; but I read the same thing on a couple of right-wing blogs, so I'm not surprised to see you parroting that same crap around A2K.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:41 pm
revel wrote:
Quote:
Prematurely means to declare defeat and leave Iraq to a certain fate of resuming its status as another poor despotic nation with the possibility of becoming as dangerous as before.

Since Iraq wasn't dangerous at the time of invasion; any time we leave; we will leave Iraq more dangerous than it was before.

We had no problem of leaving Afghanistan before the job was done and now Afghanistan is in worse condition than it was before we invaded it.

Iraq was dangerous to humanity at the time the USA invaded it. Saddam was the least of that danger. The growth of al-Qaeda in Iraq 13 months after December 2001 when they fled from Afghanisitan was from 300 to more than 1200 trained mass murderers of non-murderers by the time of the USA invasion of Iraq in March 2003. Al Qaeda then was a greater magnitude of danger than existed with al-Qaeda in Afghanistan 13 months after they moved from Sudan in May 1996.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:45 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Interesting that you seem to be convinced that Maliki is lying on this issue, but also convinced that Bush isn't. Do you have any proof that Maliki isn't being honest? My guess is, not so much; but I read the same thing on a couple of right-wing blogs, so I'm not surprised to see you parroting that same crap around A2K.

Cycloptichorn

Am I convinced that Maliki is lying? Hmmm... I don't recall saying that. Perhaps this is why your characterizations are so far off the mark? You read different words then those that are printed?

I have stated that Bush said he will not give a timetable for withdrawal of American forces. Where's the lie there? Is it that he also said that when we are asked to leave we will? Well, have we been asked to leave?

Just so you don't read more into this then what is here, I will answer for you: NO. We have not been asked to leave no matter what you or your little dog think.

I don't read blogs Cyc., liberal or conservative. So if you are reading my thoughts in other places it is merely coinicidence. Your lame slander has no bite in that respect.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:49 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

You did not accuse me of anything in that previous post, nor did I say that you did. I responded purely to your insinuation. You did insinuate in that post.

Maliki asking for a date certain to begin withdrawal is NOT the same things as asking the US to leave. It is not accusing Maliki of lying to understand and point that out. Maliki has to save face with his own countrymen by defending Iraqi sovereignty, and it is reasonable for him to want to know when the US will withdraw; it is not only reasonable but PRUDENT for President Bush to make no commitment to a stated timetable. He might as well hang a huge neon sign over Iraq flashing a message to the terrorists: "Just back off fellows and bide your time. The USA will leave a week from Tuesday and then you can have your way." (Think about that when you admire Obama for announcing that as Prsident he will hang that very sign over Iraq.)

A prudent commander DOES NOT telegraph intentions of any kind to the enemy unless it is in his advantage to do so.

Maliki has no reason to doubt that President Bush would not keep his word and take the US troops home if Maliki requested that. If Maliki wanted that, he would request it. He hasn't.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:53 pm
If the Iraq government wants a timetable for USA departure, it should establish its own timetable for when they want the USA military to leave Iraq. Its their country and they have the complete right and authority to decide the timetable by which the USA must leave Iraq. That is not the USA's decision to make.

However, if the USA government were to want to leave Iraq before the Iraq government timetable says to leave, that is the USA's decision to make.

What is the Iraq government's timetable for the USA to leave? Their failure to specify that timetable implies they don't really want us to leave for a while.

I hope I'm wrong!
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:54 pm
If the Iraq government wants a timetable for USA departure, it should establish its own timetable for when they want the USA military to leave Iraq. Its their country and they have the complete right and authority to decide the timetable by which the USA must leave Iraq. That is not the USA's decision to make.

However, if the USA government were to want to leave Iraq before the Iraq government timetable says to leave, that is the USA's decision to make.

What is the Iraq government's timetable for the USA to leave? Their failure to specify that timetable implies they don't really want us to leave for a while.

I hope I'm wrong!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:57 pm
ican711nm wrote:

I hope I'm wrong!

I rarely disagree with you on this kind of stuff Ican, so indulge me this once. I don't think President Bush should agree to Maliki's timetable either. at least publicly. He could certainly take one under advisement, but he should not agree to put our last remaining troops in Iraq at significantly higher risk by announcing that our presence there will become progressively weaker and here's the timetable for how it happens.

Actually none of us have a clue what President Bush and President Maliki discuss and/or negotiate in private or what the finer points of the game plan is. And in time of war, that is exactly how it should be.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:57 pm
Bullshit. I think that you have no idea what a 'prudent commander' does, and neither do the rest of the 101st Keyboard Kommandos.

Under your scenario, there NEVER can be a 'time for withdrawal' announced; even though it will take years for us to actually withdraw, and that you agree we need to do so soon, and it will be overwhelmingly obvious once we start leaving that we are going to be out very soon, you say we 'can't set a date, b/c that would tip our hand.' Bull. They are going to wait until we leave whether we announce we are leaving or not.

You and other Conservatives seem to think that the members of AQ and other groups are just going to give up here in a few years, when it seems they aren't getting anywhere; they will not do so. We cannot afford to stay much longer. Therefore the prudent thing to do is to create our OWN schedule and not rely upon fear of the enemy's potential actions to determine our decisions, which is what you and others advocate.

What you propose is complete nonsense. It bears very little resemblance to the realities of our leaving Iraq, which is that a withdrawal will have to be set in advance, and might as well be announced, for it sure as hell isn't going to happen in secret.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:58 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

I hope I'm wrong!

I rarely disagree with you on this kind of stuff Ican, so indulge me this once. I don't think President Bush should agree to Maliki's timetable either. He could certainly take one under advisement, but he should not agree to put our last remaining troops in Iraq at significantly higher risk by announcing that our presence there will become progressively weaker and here's the timetable for how it happens.

Actually none of us have a clue what President Bush and President Maliki discuss and/or negotiate in private or what the finer points of the game plan is. And in time of war, that is exactly how it should be.

According to Ican's earlier posting on this subject, you are not a true Conservative, Fox.

Fox, what makes you think that Bush has the right to 'not agree' to Maliki's timetable? Maliki is the PM of Iraq, he runs the gov't, if he proposes a timetable and we don't leave; then we truly are armed, unwelcome occupiers. Our opinions of whether or not Iraq is ready is immaterial, because it has very little to do with us, in fact. It's their country.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:00 pm
Well, when you're in charge of running a war, Cyclop, I presume then that you will type out your plans in triplicate and fax over a copy to Al Qaida or whomever? I suppose that is a plan.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:02 pm
Conservatives collectively agree that Maliki asking for a timetable for a redeployment of US troops doesn't mean that Maliki wants US troops to leave Iraq...

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Conservatism in 2008.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:02 pm
Since Fox and company doesn't like the simple fact that Bush lied about leaving Iraq when asked is now saying that maybe Bush and Malaki have a secret pact of some kind outside of what is today's common knowledge.

If you don't like what you hear, make sure it's a secret. ROTL
0 Replies