THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:04 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well, when you're in charge of running a war, Cyclop, I presume then that you will type out your plans in triplicate and fax over a copy to Al Qaida or whomever? I suppose that is a plan.

Why not? Secrecy is a vice as much as a virtue.

AQ has very little ability to do anything to US troops in the region. Why would us telling them that we are going to leave make a difference at all, in terms of how it affects us?

You should face the fact that our leaving is only going to go two ways:

Option 1 - we begin the process of 'drawing down,' this will take more then a year to complete, and the whole time everyone will know exactly what is going on, including the terrorists, whether we announce it to them or not; or

Option 2 - we leave super-quickly, leave most of our materiel behind, and are essentially bugging out of the country.

There is no third option! Get used to the idea of a timetable, for you will either see that, or an ignominious retreat. There's no real way for us to draw down without a timetable.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:47 pm
Excerpt
Quote:
. . . .Mr. Obama reiterated yesterday that he would consult with U.S. commanders and the Iraqi government and "make tactical adjustments as we implement this strategy." However, as Mr. McCain quickly pointed out, he delivered his speech before traveling to Iraq -- before his meetings with Gen. David H. Petraeus and the Iraqi leadership. American commanders will probably tell Mr. Obama that from a logistical standpoint, a 16-month withdrawal timetable will be difficult, if not impossible, to fulfill. Iraqis will say that a pullout that is not negotiated with the government and disregards the readiness of Iraqi troops will be a gift to al-Qaeda and other enemies. If Mr. Obama really intends to listen to such advisers, why would he lock in his position in advance?

"What's missing in our debate," Mr. Obama said yesterday, "is a discussion of the strategic consequences of Iraq." Indeed: The message that the Democrat sends is that he is ultimately indifferent to the war's outcome -- that Iraq "distracts us from every threat we face" and thus must be speedily evacuated regardless of the consequences. That's an irrational and ahistorical way to view a country at the strategic center of the Middle East, with some of the world's largest oil reserves. . . .

WASHINGTON POST 7-16-08
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:57 pm
You can add Fred Hiatt, consistent and constant war supporter, to the list of people whose opinion I don't give a damn about, for they have proven that objectivity is less important to them then continuing the war for as long as possible.

The people who got us in to this stupid and unproductive war are not the ones who will get us out and the thought that we should ask their advice on anything, or care about their opinion, is a little silly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 04:58 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Since Fox and company doesn't like the simple fact that Bush lied about leaving Iraq when asked is now saying that maybe Bush and Malaki have a secret pact of some kind outside of what is today's common knowledge.

If you don't like what you hear, make sure it's a secret. ROTL

What's it like to have no ability to comprehend your native language when other people write it? I am honestly curious...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:04 pm
I would like to see some of the Conservatives here - other then Ican, who has been remarkably sensible about this particular issue - admit that sooner or later, there WILL be a timeline for withdrawal in Iraq, and it won't be a secret.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 06:04 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
If the Iraq government wants a timetable for USA departure, it should establish its own timetable for when they want the USA military to leave Iraq. Its their country and they have the complete right and authority to decide the timetable by which the USA must leave Iraq. That is not the USA's decision to make.

However, if the USA government were to want to leave Iraq before the Iraq government timetable says to leave, that is the USA's decision to make.

What is the Iraq government's timetable for the USA to leave? Their failure to specify that timetable implies they don't really want us to leave for a while.

I hope I'm wrong!

I rarely disagree with you on this kind of stuff Ican, so indulge me this once. I don't think President Bush should agree to Maliki's timetable either. at least publicly. He could certainly take one under advisement, but he should not agree to put our last remaining troops in Iraq at significantly higher risk by announcing that our presence there will become progressively weaker and here's the timetable for how it happens.

Good point! On the otherhand Bush has repeatedly said we would leave when asked to leave. So while there should not be any public statement regarding our specific departure timetable, there should be an unwavering commitment on our part to leave as safely and as quickly as we can when asked to do so..

Actually none of us have a clue what President Bush and President Maliki discuss and/or negotiate in private or what the finer points of the game plan is. And in time of war, that is exactly how it should be.

That's another good point! But again, when we're asked to leave, we must leave as safely and as quickly as we can.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 06:25 pm
Wrong, wrong and wrong; the insurgents do not care one iota how and when we leave Iraq. However, it matters to us how we leave, because we must do it in a manner that minimizes casualties of our own troops during our departure.

Iraq is a basket case; it's been one for some 1,500 years. That's not going to change whether we stay or leave. The tribes of Iraq will continue their war sooner or later; it's only a matter of time.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 06:58 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Wrong, wrong and wrong; the insurgents do not care one iota how and when we leave Iraq. However, it matters to us how we leave, because we must do it in a manner that minimizes casualties of our own troops during our departure.

Iraq is a basket case; it's been one for some 1,500 years. That's not going to change whether we stay or leave. The tribes of Iraq will continue their war sooner or later; it's only a matter of time.

I agree that "the insurgents do not care one iota how and when we leave Iraq" and "it matters to us how we leave, because we must do it in a manner that minimizes casualties of our own troops during our departure."

But it also matters to the Iraq government "how and when we leave Iraq."

So you continue to think: "Iraq is a basket case; it's been one for some 1,500 years. That's not going to change whether we stay or leave. The tribes of Iraq will continue their war sooner or later; it's only a matter of time."

You fail to recognize that the Iraqi people are just as capable as other peoples of controlling themselves to their mutual benefit when provided the opportunity to prevent themselves from being tyrannized.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:38 pm
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:22 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
If the Iraq government wants a timetable for USA departure, it should establish its own timetable for when they want the USA military to leave Iraq. Its their country and they have the complete right and authority to decide the timetable by which the USA must leave Iraq. That is not the USA's decision to make.

However, if the USA government were to want to leave Iraq before the Iraq government timetable says to leave, that is the USA's decision to make.

What is the Iraq government's timetable for the USA to leave? Their failure to specify that timetable implies they don't really want us to leave for a while.

I hope I'm wrong!

I rarely disagree with you on this kind of stuff Ican, so indulge me this once. I don't think President Bush should agree to Maliki's timetable either. at least publicly. He could certainly take one under advisement, but he should not agree to put our last remaining troops in Iraq at significantly higher risk by announcing that our presence there will become progressively weaker and here's the timetable for how it happens.

Good point! On the otherhand Bush has repeatedly said we would leave when asked to leave. So while there should not be any public statement regarding our specific departure timetable, there should be an unwavering commitment on our part to leave as safely and as quickly as we can when asked to do so..

Actually none of us have a clue what President Bush and President Maliki discuss and/or negotiate in private or what the finer points of the game plan is. And in time of war, that is exactly how it should be.

That's another good point! But again, when we're asked to leave, we must leave as safely and as quickly as we can.

Here we don't have any argument. That's why I posted earlier today:
Quote:
"Maliki has no reason to doubt that President Bush would not keep his word and take the US troops home if Maliki requested that. If Maliki wanted that, he would request it. He hasn't."

President Bush badly mismanaged the aftermath of the invasion, yes, at least until he stopped listening to the armchair quarterbacks and turned it over the real ones. But he is very good to do what he says he will do. I believe the reason Maliki has not asked us to leave is that he knows President Bush is a man of his word and we would leave.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:29 pm
"...Bush is a man of his word...." ROFL
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:30 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

ci, we sent a man to the moon, this is now the 21st century, don't you think it is conceivable that Iraq could change. The whole world is changing pretty dramatically, I would say, over the last 100 years, 50 years, the last 20 years. What happened in Iraq 1500 years ago does not need to keep happening. With mass communications, every corner of the world can now see the dawn of a different day. I hope it is truly better, but I am not so sure, but certainly the potential is there for people all over the world to awaken to a better way of doing things.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:34 pm
Let's start with Bush lies: http://bush-lies.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:43 pm
okie, Seriously, what was your major in college? You're not making any sense by comparing man's ability to travel to the moon vs the 1500 year war in Iraq. No comparison. "....does not need to keep happening..." is happening today, and will continue to happen tomorrow. Potential means nothing; we've had potential for all of man's history. You seem to live a very sheltered life; there are many places outside of Iraq that continues to have genocide - today. They all have "potential" to find peace. And your observation that "...does not need to keep happening..." is naive to the point of ignorance.

Man will continue to develop war machines, and that includes the US of A who produces more than most countries put together. "It doesn't need to keep happening..." but it will. You must learn to live in the "real" world.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 04:36 pm
Cice's historical perspective:
However rotten we are today, we'll be equally or more rotten tomorrow.

Sounds like the devil her/him/itself.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 04:44 pm
okie wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

ci, we sent a man to the moon, this is now the 21st century, don't you think it is conceivable that Iraq could change. The whole world is changing pretty dramatically, I would say, over the last 100 years, 50 years, the last 20 years. What happened in Iraq 1500 years ago does not need to keep happening. With mass communications, every corner of the world can now see the dawn of a different day. I hope it is truly better, but I am not so sure, but certainly the potential is there for people all over the world to awaken to a better way of doing things.

Could Not Equal will or even Want To.

Some in Iraq desire to run a democracy, but many see it much like the Iranian democracy; that is to say, a rather hollow one which is formed around increasing the wealth and influence of a very few, and is in most ways indistinguishable from other dictatorships.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:53 pm
Quote:

TUCSON, July 18 -- President Bush and Iraq's prime minister have agreed to set a "time horizon" for the withdrawal of U.S. combat troops from Iraq as security conditions in the war-ravaged nation continue to improve, White House officials said here Friday.

The agreement, reached during a video conference Thursday between Bush and Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, marks a dramatic shift for the Bush administration, which for years has condemned any talk of timetables for withdrawal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/18/AR2008071801308.html?hpid=topnews

When you aren't politically allowed to call it a 'timeline,' but the other side insists on one, you make up a fancy name for it, such as 'time horizon.'

You Conservatives must be so pissed at Bush right now, he's selling out the positions you have been trying so damn hard to defend here on A2K for years: agreeing to timelines, putting diplomats into Iran to negotiate; this is all stuff you have railed against forever! Where's the criticism of Bush for his surrender?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:56 pm
Quote:
The agreement, reached during a video conference Thursday between Bush and Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, marks a dramatic shift for the Bush administration, which for years has condemned any talk of timetables for withdrawal.

The second "dramatic shift" in just two days.

At that rate, you'll have universal health care before this year is over.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 01:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

TUCSON, July 18 -- President Bush and Iraq's prime minister have agreed to set a "time horizon" for the withdrawal of U.S. combat troops from Iraq as security conditions in the war-ravaged nation continue to improve, White House officials said here Friday.

Cycloptichorn

Laughing Call it whatever you will: time line; time horizon; scheduled date; or deadline. The Iraqis are asking us to leave after 12/31/2008. I would have been happier if they had asked us to leave by 12/31/2008.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 01:59 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/18/AR2008071801308.html?hpid=topnews

When you aren't politically allowed to call it a 'timeline,' but the other side insists on one, you make up a fancy name for it, such as 'time horizon.'

You Conservatives must be so pissed at Bush right now, he's selling out the positions you have been trying so damn hard to defend here on A2K for years: agreeing to timelines, putting diplomats into Iran to negotiate; this is all stuff you have railed against forever! Where's the criticism of Bush for his surrender?

Cycloptichorn

More from the story...

Quote:
"In the area of security cooperation, the president and the prime minister agreed that improving conditions should allow for the agreements now under negotiation to include a general time horizon for meeting aspirational goals," the statement said. It said those goals include turning over more control to Iraqi security forces and "the further reduction of U.S. combat forces from Iraq."

The statement continued: "The president and prime minister agreed that the goals would be based on continued improving conditions on the ground and not an arbitrary date for withdrawal."

The White House statement said the accords under negotiation are intended to "establish a normalized bilateral relationship between Iraq and the United States."

I don't see a timetable in this. Do you?

But I guess that anything that has a some sort of troop withdrawal based on conditions being met (just as the administration has said right along) constitutes a time table for you guys.

That's cool.

I am glad to see Iraq taking control of itself and having greater control of its internal security. It's a sign of progress and that is good for both countries.
0 Replies