THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

mysteryman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:37 pm
ican,
You forget one thing.

According to some on here, everything on that list is the fault of the US and its allies.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:55 pm
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
We must win and succeed in Iraq, because we Americans will suffer significant losses of our freedoms, if we do not win and succeed in Iraq.

Like what? Will the Taliban take over America and force you to grow a beard?

[list of terrorist attacks]

ican, what would you say are the most important freedoms for an American citizen? I mean, the long list you just posted seems to suggest that the only freedoms you're worried to loose is the freedom to die a natural death...

Laughing Surely you are kidding! ......... On second thought I reckon you're not kidding.

Here's what is probably more of an answer than you were expecting.

My Version of The Religious Doctrine of the Judeo-Christian Ten Commandments.

20 And God spoke all these words, saying:
2 I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of anything
that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under
the earth;
5thou shall not bow down unto them , nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a
jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and
fourth generation of them that hate Me;
6 and showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep
My commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him
guiltless that taketh His name in vain.
8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work;
10 but the seventh day is a sabbath unto the Lord thy God, in it thou shalt not do any
manner of work, nor thy wife, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy man-servant,
nor thy maid- servant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates;
11 for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and
rested on the seventh day; wherefore the Lord blessed the seventh day, and
hallowed it.
12 Honour thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the
Lord thy God giveth thee.
13 Thou shalt not commit murder.
Thou shalt not commit adultery or fornication.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
14 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house;
thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his man servant, nor his maid-servant,
nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbour's.

The religious doctrine of the Declaration of Independence is derived from Judeo-Christian religious doctrine.

Quote:
The Unanimous Declaration of the Thirteen United States of America
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

My religious doctrine is derived from the Declaration of Independence:

I hold these truths to be self-evident, that all people are created equal, in that they are endowed by God with certain rights. Among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. To secure these rights, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the people governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to secure these rights.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience has shown that people are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

To secure for me my rights endowed me by God, I must possess the right to defend myself effectively against those attempting to deny me one or more of my rights. Those people who are attempting to deny me my rights, or are denying me one or more of my rights, thereby forfeit those very rights originally endowed them by God that they seek to deny me.

The endowment of my rights by God obligates me to attempt to help others secure these same rights, whenever anyone attempts to deny them these same rights.

So if you kill any or all those I love who have not denied anyone else their rights endowed by God, you will have denied them all their rights endowed by God.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:05 pm
mysteryman wrote:
ican,
You forget one thing.

According to some on here, everything on that list is the fault of the US and its allies.

mysteryman, I try hard but sometimes unsuccessfully to ignore such mentally deranged harangues. So I strive to give the sources of those harangues the benefit of my limited doubt that they really believe that malarky. What the hell! "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:19 pm
ican711nm wrote:

November = 980 / 30 = ………..…. 33 per day.
December = 1044 / 31 = ………..…. 34 per day.
January = 527/ 31 = ……………...…. 17 per day. [/size].

The USA wins and succeeds in Iraq when the daily rate of violent deaths in Iraq decreases below 30, remains less than 30, while we are removing our troops, and remains less than 30 for at least a year after we have completed our departure.

==========================================================

Almost 30 in November and December and 17 in January, Ican. So can we declare victory and start bringing the soldiers home, now? That was the yardstick you advocated, and we seem to have gotten there. How fast should we begin to bring the troops home?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:51 pm
Quote:
Exhaustive review finds no link between Saddam, al Qaida

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/29959.html
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:02 pm
mysteryman wrote:
ican,
You forget one thing.

There were no suicide bombs and significant AQ before we invaded; so yes; it is ultimately our responsibility. We broke it; we should have been at least prepared to fix it and five years later; it is still broke though pieced back together with child's glue. (I am aware there were other horrible problems but not the problems listed previously in Ican's post.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 07:28 am
Nor these problems either.

Quote:

source

Iraqis search for signs of change in U.S. election

Quote:
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqis are avidly watching the 2008 U.S. election race, searching for signs of policy change under a new president and prospects for U.S. troop withdrawals from their country.

"I do not care if the president is a man or a woman, what really matters is the change of American policy towards Iraq," said Muhenad Sahib, a university professor from the southern oil hub of Basra, Iraq's second largest city.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:12 am
revel wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
ican,
You forget one thing.

There were no suicide bombs and significant AQ before we invaded; so yes; it is ultimately our responsibility. We broke it; we should have been at least prepared to fix it and five years later; it is still broke though pieced back together with child's glue. (I am aware there were other horrible problems but not the problems listed previously in Ican's post.)

Instead of AQ and the mad bombers, the Iraqi people had Saddam and his rape/torture squads. I wonder which the people of Iraq are happier with... a future guaranteed to bring more rape/torture by Saddam and his spawn or freedom to fight against a fundamentalist Islamic threat.

Their freedom is ultimately up to them. How they choose to fight for that freedom is their choice to make as the US can't stay in Iraq forever fighting on the frontlines. Eventually we will move to a strictly supporting role and the Iraqi's will have to take responsibility for their country.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:44 am
McG, Iraq was not the only country where atrocities have occured and now happen. Get your head out of the sand; we are not the police of the world. It's logistically impossible for the US to cure all the world's ills; Iraq alone is costing us ten billion every month. Our country is in a recession, and our schools and infrastructure are breaking down and under-funded.

Do you understand anything about fiduciary responsibility?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:51 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
McG, Iraq was not the only country where atrocities have occured and now happen. Get your head out of the sand; we are not the police of the world. It's logistically impossible for the US to cure all the world's ills; Iraq alone is costing us ten billion every month. Our country is in a recession, and our schools and infrastructure are breaking down and under-funded.

Do you understand anything about fiduciary responsibility?

Off topic and irrelevent. SOP for you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:01 am
It only shows your myopic view of this world; our spending tax dollars in other countries as our economy tanks is not logical or ethical.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:22 am
Quote:
Instead of AQ and the mad bombers, the Iraqi people had Saddam and his rape/torture squads. I wonder which the people of Iraq are happier with... a future guaranteed to bring more rape/torture by Saddam and his spawn or freedom to fight against a fundamentalist Islamic threat.

This is grossly misrepresenting the issue of pre-invasion and post invasion. They were not ever under a "fundamentalist Islamic threat" under Saddam Hussein. Since we invaded a stricter adherence to Islamic law is prevalent. Most of them probably don't see it as a "threat" except for the secular Iraqis who seem to mostly Sunni who were dominate during Saddam reign as Iraq's leader plus some Kurds and a few secular Shiites. In fact in their constitution Islamic Law is key to any legislation while as the same time giving lip service to all religion.

Quote:
First: Islam is the official religion of the State and it is a fundamental source of legislation: A. No law that contradicts the established provisions of Islam may be established. B. No law that contradicts the principles of democracy may be established. C. No law that contradicts the rights and basic freedoms stipulated in this constitution may be established. Second: This Constitution guarantees the the full religious rights of all individuals to freedom of religious belief and practice such as Christians, Yazedis, and Mandi Sabeans.

source

Moreover; what CI said is relevant because Saddam was just one of many who oppressed and abused its own citizens; so to use that as a justification for the invasion does not hold water.

As for which they would rather be under; I guess that depends on who you ask as the article I linked previously said. Right now I imagine they feel like they traded oppression and torture for chaos and a different form of oppression from various religious sects. They are/were tortured and raped both under our prisons in Iraq and under militant prisons. (google it) Maybe someday they will work it out and then that will be good. But it was not justified and it has been a mismanaged hell since we first took control of Iraq and the looting took place and then all the rest.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:58 am
Quote:
An exhaustive review of more than 600,000 Iraqi documents that were captured after the 2003 U.S. invasion has found no evidence that Saddam Hussein's regime had any operational links with Osama bin Laden's al Qaida terrorist network.
The Pentagon-sponsored study, scheduled for release later this week, did confirm that Saddam's regime provided some support to other terrorist groups, particularly in the Middle East, U.S. officials told McClatchy. However, his security services were directed primarily against Iraqi exiles, Shiite Muslims, Kurds and others he considered enemies of his regime.

The new study of the Iraqi regime's archives found no documents indicating a "direct operational link" between Hussein's Iraq and al Qaida before the invasion, according to a U.S. official familiar with the report.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/29959.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:04 pm
This gives "bulletproof" a quite interesting, new definition.

(Rumsfeld claimed in September 2002 that Washington had 'bulletproof' evidence of cooperation between the radical terrorist network and Saddam's dictatorship.)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:42 pm
That poopity head.

Why has he not been tried for war crimes?

Why is he not being tried for war crimes?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:25 am
Quote:
Why has he not been tried for war crimes?

Why is he not being tried for war crimes?

Apparently the reasoning is that they didn't know any better. Never knew willful ignorance was a viable defense before.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 10:01 am
Ignorance and stubbornness of George W. Bush is a trademark that will live in infamy!
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:39 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

November = 980 / 30 = ………..…. 33 per day.
December = 1044 / 31 = ………..…. 34 per day.
January = 527/ 31 = ……………...…. 17 per day. [/size].

The USA wins and succeeds in Iraq when the daily rate of violent deaths in Iraq decreases below 30, remains less than 30, while we are removing our troops, and remains less than 30 for at least a year after we have completed our departure.

==========================================================

Almost 30 in November and December and 17 in January, Ican. So can we declare victory and start bringing the soldiers home, now? That was the yardstick you advocated, and we seem to have gotten there. How fast should we begin to bring the troops home?

Yes, start bringing our troops home now!

Remove all our troops by the end of the year, if the daily rate of violent deaths in Iraq remains less than 30, while we are removing our troops.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:58 pm
revel wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
ican,
You forget one thing.

There were about 1,000 AQ in Iraq when we invaded it in March 2003.
How significant were the about 10,000 AQ in Afghanistan September 11, 2001?

How significant were the 19 AQ that perpetrated 9/11 without suicide bombs?

By the way, from Encyclopedia Britannica Books of the Year, as of December 31, 2002, Total Iraq Violent Deaths since January 1, 1979 = 1,229,210/8,766 days = 140 per day.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:07 pm
This numbers game is so useless when you consider how hard it is to get an accurate count from day to day much less from month to month and year to year. Not only is it useless but it has a way of dehumanizing the casualties of Iraqis.

For example:

Quote:
BAGHDAD, March 12 (Reuters) - It was an incident that aptly summed up the fog of war in Iraq -- relatives burying nine women and a child they said were victims of a bomb attack on a bus in which the U.S. military said no one died.

In Iraq, acts of violence are almost always accompanied by multiple accounts from witnesses, police, health officials and U.S. forces. But even by Iraqi standards Tuesday's attack on a bus full of mourners was a puzzle.

The U.S. military said in a statement on Wednesday the bus was hit by an explosively formed penetrator, a particularly deadly type of roadside bomb normally used against U.S. armoured vehicles. A nearby U.S. convoy was also caught in the blast.

"Operational reports confirm one U.S. soldier and one civilian were wounded in the convoy," the military said in a statement that came after a day of conflicting casualty reports.

A spokesman for British military forces in the nearby southern city of Basra, Major Tom Holloway, said he was still trying to work out the number of casualties after police initially reported 16 people being killed.

The attack took place near Nassiriya about 375 km (235 miles) southwest of Baghdad. The bus was carrying 50 women and children and three men who had been attending a mourning ceremony for a relative in the holy city of Najaf, its driver said.

"We approached an American convoy of fuel tankers and Humvees coming from the opposite direction," bus driver Zachi Abdul Qaeder told Reuters. "Suddenly I heard a bang and a fireball with smoke filling the bus," he said.

Television pictures of the bus showed it pocked by shrapnel marks and its windows blown out but otherwise unscathed. Qaeder said the blast had left no crater but had punched a hole through the bus, a characteristic of an explosively formed projectile.

Mohammed Saleh, head of surgery at Nassiriya general hospital said 10 people were killed.

In Najaf, relatives gathered at a cemetery on Wednesday and accused U.S soldiers in the convoy of having shot at the bus, a charge U.S. military spokesman Major-General Kevin Bergner denied at a news conference in Baghdad.

There were nine caskets but 10 bodies - nine women and one little girl, a Reuters reporter said. Ghaida Mustafa Jassim, 4, was wrapped in a white piece of cloth and put in the same casket as her grandmother Amreca Sadoun, 65.

Hamed Shamal al-Hilfi said he had lost six female relatives in the bus attack.

"They were only peaceful women who went to Najaf for a mourning ceremony. What crime had they committed to get killed in this terrible way?" (Additional reporting by Ross Colvin in Baghdad and Khaled Farhan in Najaf; Writing by Ross Colvin; Editing by Keith Weir)

source
0 Replies