Oh It's Started Already...

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:12 am
...the "how do I decorate the nusery?" even before I have a nusery to decorate or a baby to put in it! Laughing

I went to a baby shower this weekend and so I am assuming that's what triggered it. That and Grandma has offered to buy us a crib...any one we want! Whoo hoo!!!

Of course, it's hard to pick anything out yet as far as theme because I have no idea what we are having....but it's fun to think about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,146 • Replies: 132
No top replies

eoe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:13 am
Why do you need a theme?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:22 am
Uh oh. Tell your hubby to hold onto his hat. And to go with with flow. Nesting is like the tide: inevitable and impossible to restrain.

If you want to distract yourself from the nursery issue, do you have enough food socked away? You can load up the freezer with prepared meals.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:23 am
Well, technically I don't.

But since I haven't ever really been able to decorate (never had a house) and since I get to have all new stuff for the room, it will be so much fun to coordinate everything.

My theme I mean, if its a boy airplanes or trains or Sesame Street.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:27 am
DrewDad wrote:
Uh oh. Tell your hubby to hold onto his hat. And to go with with flow. Nesting is like the tide: inevitable and impossible to restrain.

If you want to distract yourself from the nursery issue, do you have enough food socked away? You can load up the freezer with prepared meals.

Ok well here's the problem....we will be moving in April/May. Yes, I know that is INSANE but it's the earliest we can do it and I don't want to have to move AFTER the baby. So doing anything like stocking up on food and what not is not really an option. Besides...moving in April/May means I won't have to help. I mean, the pregnant lady can't help carry a couch. :wink:

Life is going to C R A Z Y but exciting!!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:36 am
Crib bumpers are worthless, IMO. You can't put pillows in with a newborn, and newborns don't squirm around anyway. By the time they get mobile, they're used to the crib and those bumpers make lovely stepping stools for climbing out of the crib....

Quilts, ditto, except for the decorating aspect. Most come with a way to insert a rod so you can hang it on the wall.

My point is, don't worry about matching your decor to a specific crib set.

Do you plan more kiddos? You might not want gender-specific decorations in that case.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:36 am
Oh my goodness!

Better before the baby than after the baby, though.

DrewDad's right btw -- pregnancy sure hammers home that at core we're primordial creatures driven by instinct. Shocked I became a bit manic about finishing sozlet's room in the last weeks of pregnancy, and an hour after I completed a complicated quilt wallhanging (which I was absolutely compelled to finish nownownow), I went into labor.

In terms of planning, anyway, I recommend going general/ neutral and then adding accent pieces if you want later on. Even if you get an ultrasound, they're far from foolproof, and I know far too many people who got The Compleat Pink Bedroom only to give birth to a boy (and vice versa).

Cool that Grandma's willing to buy a crib, they're expensive!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:42 am
sozobe wrote:

Cool that Grandma's willing to buy a crib, they're expensive!

I know! I was so excited!

As for gender neutral...I am thinking I want to go Sesame Street. That's boy or girl and I loved Sesame Street as a kid. It's sort of nostalgic for me.

Regarding crib bumpers....our friends got one...what a pain in the ass. Every time you change the sheets, you have to untie it and move it and then retie it and it doesn't sit in there perfectly and...ugh. What a pain.

So if you can't have a quilt/baby comforter, what do you use? Won't baby get cold with just a blanket? I know you aren't suppose to use big blankets because they could suffocate but what DO you use?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:45 am
Everyone tells me I should get a crib that converts to a toddler bed.

What do you think?

I love this one from IKEA and it isn't that expensive. But it is just a crib.
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/28862_PE115703_S4.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:46 am
From what I have read it would be a good idea to keep any large snakes, such as a python or a boa constrictor out of the child's room. If you do own such a creature, Bella, never, under any circumstance, place it in the crib with your child. And that holds especially true if you are going to be gone for more than a couple of days and have to leave the child unattended.

I have other parental tips, stuff that I have acquired from various sources over the years, and I will be adding them to this thread as I find necessary.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:47 am
Newborns are TINY. You wrap 'em up like little burritos.

Also, they only wear the little hat for a couple of days (if I recall correctly).

Overheating is more of a worry, as it is associated with SIDS.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:47 am
Also, where do you get cribs at??? Where are the good ones....I know that Pottery Barn Kids has some fabulous looking cribs but they are ridiculously overpriced.

Target doesn't have much of a selection....Any suggestions on the best place to get a quality crib?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:48 am
Are you sure? That looks like some sort of convertable thing, that wave in it (like the pieces come apart).

I think a toddler bed is an unnecessary step -- we just got a twin bed and put it on the floor (not far to fall), then when she get old enough put it up on a box spring.

I was gonna ask if you had an IKEA nearby, then decided well if Grandma's paying anyway.... Evil or Very Mad But we did extensive comparison shopping and IKEA was by far the best combo of quality and price for cribs. I mean the ones at Babies R Us cost four times as much and were still less solid. Ours was from IKEA and served us well.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:49 am
DrewDad wrote:

Also, they only wear the little hat for a couple of days (if I recall correctly).

So, when do you stop wrapping them like burritos?

Man, I have so much to learn. Confused
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:50 am
sozobe wrote:
Are you sure? That looks like some sort of convertable thing, that wave in it (like the pieces come apart).

I think a toddler bed is an unnecessary step -- we just got a twin bed and put it on the floor (not far to fall), then when she get old enough put it up on a box spring.

I was gonna ask if you had an IKEA nearby, then decided well if Grandma's paying anyway.... Evil or Very Mad But we did extensive comparison shopping and IKEA was by far the best combo of quality and price for cribs. I mean the ones at Babies R Us cost four times as much and were still less solid. Ours was from IKEA and served us well.

I don't know...maybe it is.

I do like it though and if IKEA has one of the best that's even better.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:50 am
Wrong emoticon, meant Twisted Evil

No particular advice on baby bedding, sorry, we got the crib and intended to use it and we DID use it as basically a playpen/ baby holding pen, but she never really slept in it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:51 am
Never confuse the actual child and blanket with a real burrito. The pain of eating your own child would be long-lasting and traumatic.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:52 am
This whole thread has thrown me into panic mode.

My god, what have I gotten myself into?!?

I know I know, you all did it. But good grief...I feel like I am going to be completely inadequate.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:54 am
Bella Dea wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

So, when do you stop wrapping them like burritos?

Newborns love to be swaddled up snugly. Then they start freeing their arms on their own. Then they start freeing their legs on their own. Then you don't try to swaddle any more.

Bella Dea wrote:
Man, I have so much to learn. Confused

We all did... and we all learned.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:55 am
If you don't think you can handle raising the kid, Bella, then we, the A2K community, would be glad to raise it for you.

It could spend a week with me, then on to Slappy's house, a week with H20MAN, then on to Walter's, etc. etc.
0 Replies