Oh It's Started Already...

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:50 pm
baby
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:40 pm
I met a really cute guy at a baby shower once.

We had sex.

It was a lot more fun than tiny T-shirts, that's for damn sure.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:45 pm
Hey Bella, Here's an idea for you.

Consider getting generic furniture and either keep it as is or paint it the color you wish and then use Sesame themed wall stickers, decals and appliques to give the furniture that matching theme you want. That way you aren't overpaying for the furniture just because it has Sesame on it, and it gives you the option to easily change the decorating later on by just removing the decals and applying different ones, if wanted.

You can do the same thing for the walls, just put the decals on all around the walls rather than buying expensive tapestries or posters.

Here's a couple of many links to such stickers and decals. There are lots of other story charactered themes out there too in case you change your mind about Sesame Street.

http://www.collector-connection.com/sestwade.html

http://www.stickergiant.com/page/sg/CTGY/cs

You could also buy some Sesame Street themed clothing and use them as wall hangings to decorate the room. Then, when the kid is old enough to fit into them, use them for clothing. Here's a good place to check out some of what is available for such a thing:

http://www.charactersinc.com/everything/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=8801
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:53 pm
We went really simple (22 years ago -- the time really does fly) with an IKEA crib and blonde wood dresser. Lots of primary colours in the curtains and bedding. (You don't need a heavy quilt or lots of blankets -- they just get kicked off. If it's cold dress the baby in a warm footed sleeper.) Believe it or not Bella, the most important piece of furniture is a ROCKING CHAIR.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:04 pm
My own tastes veer toward Noddy's. I might have some contiguous line or flare of color connection

but in my heyday I'd have been rearranging all the time, within a certain comfort zone for the kiddo, as kiddo aged.

But, Bella is clearly zoned into matching as important, and this - is not nothing, it is an aesthetic decision that will bear out, potentially.
Bella values matching aesthetically. Matching aesthetically is midway between chaos and total rigidity.

Personally, being me, I see it as closer to rigidity - but that is me, now, recipient of, oh, seven hundred useless architectural digest magazines, paid for with my minute income and providing some of us a way of learning how to be crabby.

I won't argue with Bella, that room is her and her baby's pleasure.

I doubt the contents of the space matter at all to the baby, at least immediately. Comfort matters, and then, I suppose, stimulation.

Back a few decades ago, when I studied design and human behavior, I was instructed - and agreed with - that design doesn't cause behavior. No, it doesn't, but it can affect it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:23 pm
Seconding the rocking chair!

We had a (beech? maple?) IKEA crib, pine IKEA convertable changing table (hey, that's something else I heartily recommend, non-convertible changing tables are useless as soon as the kid's out of diapers, ours we're using as a bookshelf now, will finish typing this then go see if IKEA still has something like that, probably); white bumpers for the crib; hand-made B+W images of insects mobile (man she loved that thing); an Edmund Dulac scanned + printed + ironed on to white cotton duck quilt wallhanging, alphabet doggerel, multi-colored; huge insect (butterfly, dragonfly) Chinese rice paper kites, multi-colored; and other stuff, I don't remember.

Except that there was NO rocking chair, which I regretted mightily.

Mostly it was great fun to assemble and think about, though. :-D

OK, checked IKEA. My changing table isn't carried anymore, evidently. This is close-ish, in concept, but not nearly so cool:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/55815_PE161058_S4.jpg

Some of the top part comes off, leaving a regular cabinet. (Mine is wood and just shelves, no doors.)

Maybe the online selections are limited, they don't show many options and I think I remember there being more options in the store.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:24 pm
That's why wall stickers and furniture decals and clothing as wall hangings were suggested. They're easily exchanged or removed as themes and tastes change.

It also lets you spend money on the quality of the furniture and not the decals someone paid someone a license fee to be able to apply the same decal to their lesser quality furniture.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:29 pm
My husband built a little fence-like thing that fit over the top of the dresser to make it a change table. Covered a rectangle of foam padding with quilted vinyl and voila! Change table. Stored diapers etc in top drawer. And wet wipes of course. LOTS of wet wipes.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:41 pm
How exciting, Bella. Decorating the nursery will be so much fun,
but I have to agree with sozobe, IKEA has great ideas and has furniture for every budget. Take neutral furniture and spruce them up, something
like this...

http://www.livingathome.de/wohnen_einrichten/wohnwelten/images/db/428/ww199905076.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:47 pm
I agree about the rocking chair.

Also: An inexpensive full length mirror to be mounted sideways on the wall behind the crib.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:54 pm
Curling my body about stickers - well, we are all different. What is with all this produced stuff? Tear out a photo from a magazine... duct tape a palm frond.

Hang some treasure from the cross beam.... it doesn't have to be some ITEM.

Although, I'll agree that when eyes focus, what is there is there.

I thought I posted re pro rocking chair but it might have not gotten through.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:07 pm
One can do so much with color

http://www.dekoatelier.de/images_textkonzept/Erfurt_Babyzimmer.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:08 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Also: An inexpensive full length mirror to be mounted sideways on the wall behind the crib.

That is SUCH a great idea!!

The licensed stuff tends to not be furniture per se (as in, if there is furniture in a given series it is usually either plain wood or a solid, coordinating color). Tends to be more like textiles (curtains, bedding) and accessories (switchplates or whatever the things surrounding light switches are called, lamps, etc.)

None of them are really decal-y. You could certainly buy some twin flat sheets with the desired theme and make curtains, though, for example.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:14 pm
I see I'm posting yet again in an agitated way.

I am severely frightened about programming processed kids.

Given I have this semi hysteric point of view, I'll back out of your thread, Bella - not with hostility. just not to be major obnoxious.

I'll go ahead and admit I saw my bus/partner's son's daughter become delightful child of the nearby promotional universe - and her future ahead of her. Kid was programmed, check with me in fifteen years. And that had to do with parental background.

Babies at one hour have this load...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:15 pm
Crib - carboard box.

Change table - turn box over.

Rocking chair- Hoeing in fields works.

Anything else?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:18 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
One can do so much with color

http://www.dekoatelier.de/images_textkonzept/Erfurt_Babyzimmer.jpg

Gus already said NO SNAKES!

Why dont you women listen!!!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:21 pm
gustav has no kids! What does he know!

Look this site has great stuff http://www.moolka.com/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:30 pm
OK, will these be my last words, probably not, too mouthy - but put stuff up in that room that you like and that you observe the baby likes. No money but how to hang the stuff.

so anti theme for a three week old that I can't begin to speak to it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:37 pm
Jillians theme right now is a yellow tan color.

Thats it.

No characters aside from paper butterflies hanging from the ceiling, and flower/butterfly outlet covers.

With that , I have added a primary color foam mat, a Plexiglas mirror, and a small bookshelf .

she has the coolest kiddo room. Smile
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:40 pm
Who would've thought Bella would be stirring such a hornet's nest talking about themes! Laughing
0 Replies