Oh It's Started Already...

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:55 am
I LOVE this crib from Target.

Target Crib

It's a 4in1 but I don't even care about that. I just love the way it looks!

And there is this fabulous matching changing table.

Target Changing Table
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:56 am
Looked up the crib you posted, it says:

Quote:
The bed base can be placed at two different heights.
Converts into a junior bed.

Ours was closest to this:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/59592_PE165482_S4.jpg

But it was wood instead of white.

Yep, we all learned a lot, you have plenty of time, Bella, don't worry.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:56 am
DrewDad wrote:

We all did... and we all learned.

Could you come live with me for a few months after baby is born? You could all take turns.... Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:58 am
I wouldn't worry about getting one that converts into a toddler bed. Especially if more kiddos are planned.

We got a convertable one, and never have converted it.

By the time you're ready for a toddler bed, you'll probably be ready to redecorate.

FYI: If you want drop sides, only worry about getting it one one side. The crib winds up against the wall, anyway. And you only use the drop sides if you're really short anyway. Lifting the side after putting the baby down is fraught with anxiety about waking the baby up.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:01 am
Just think, only a few short months from now Bella will look up from her bed on a Saturday morning and see this approaching...

http://www.teething-teeth.com/Products%20With%20Resized%20Photos/Baby_01.jpg

Bella will say, "Put that friggin book down and get your ass back to bed!"
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:03 am
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/59592_PE165482_S4.jpg

Is that thing upside down? If not, what keeps the kid from getting out the top?

I've often wondered about that.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:04 am
Bella Dea wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

We all did... and we all learned.

Could you come live with me for a few months after baby is born? You could all take turns.... Laughing

Laughing

Newborns are easy. They look all delicate and stuff, but they're really not made of glass.

Feed 'em, change 'em, snuggle 'em. Try to sleep....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:07 am
I feel as if my input on this thread is all for naught.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:08 am
That's for when they're teeny, and can't really move, and you want easier access.

Then there's another setting that's further down. See how the rails extend something like 8 inches below the bottom of the mattress? That can be lowered all the way to the bottom.

But when they're bigger, yeah, they climb out. Sozlet became very accomplished at that very early. Rolling Eyes That's the idea behind toddler beds -- a (short) rail up front to keep 'em from rolling out of bed at night, but then easy to get in and out. So once they start being able to climb out, move to the toddler bed.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:10 am
We found the most frustrating thing immediately after the birth was getting any rest in the hospital.

Family comes to visit, ok.

Then it's checkup time.

Then the orderly brings a meal.

Just then the lactation consultant arrives.

Try to feed the baby.

Just as you're dozing off, the nurse helpfully checks in to see if you need anything.

Then it's time to feed the baby.

FIL arrives just as the baby's getting started.

After FIL's visit, you start to doze off.

Checkup time.

...etc.

We were never so happy to leave a place.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:12 am
Lucky for me, our friends have a 3 month old and so I was able to sort of handle him from 2 weeks on....I am not worried about breaking the little one but I am worried about doing it right. Ok, not doing it right but doing it the best I can do it, no matter what "it" is. And I know it's different with someone elses kid...but baby sitting him and seeing what it was REALLY like was so much different than I'd ever imagined. And it was only 20 minute I was alone with him! (long story of why I had the baby hoisted on me)

I mean, the first time I changed their little guy, daddy came to get him and told me what a bad job I did of putting the diaper on. Oh lord, I can't even diaper the child properly! It was too loose I guess...I didn't want to cut circulation off... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:12 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I feel as if my input on this thread is all for naught.

Oh no Gus! I am taking everything you say and writing it into my Baby Notebook.

When the time arises, yours shall be the first I look up!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:14 am
DrewDad wrote:
We found the most frustrating thing immediately after the birth was getting any rest in the hospital.

Family comes to visit, ok.

Then it's checkup time.

Then the orderly brings a meal.

Just then the lactation consultant arrives.

Try to feed the baby.

Just as you're dozing off, the nurse helpfully checks in to see if you need anything.

Then it's time to feed the baby.

FIL arrives just as the baby's getting started.

After FIL's visit, you start to doze off.

Checkup time.

...etc.

We were never so happy to leave a place.

That's when I say to my darling husband..."if you let one more person in here...there is going to be a serious hostage crisis in thie hospital". Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:14 am
They teach you how to put on diapers in the prenatal classes, too. :-D

Honestly, while I learned a lot in those classes, half the benefit was just being able to relax because an expert had told me how it was done and I didn't have to wonder.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:18 am
Prenatel classes it is!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:19 am
I seem to remember reading something about the importance of holding the back of the child's head when she is really young. Something about the neck muscles not being very strong and if you didn't have your hand in place the head would fall off. Or something like that.

Let me dig around and see if I can find that information.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:21 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I seem to remember reading something about the importance of holding the back of the child's head when she is really young. Something about the neck muscles not being very strong and if you didn't have your hand in place the head would fall off. Or something like that.

Can't you just use some duct tape to stabilize the neck?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:25 am
Bella Dea wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Can't you just use some duct tape to stabilize the neck?

And you didn't think you were ready for parenting. Au contraire, my little lass, au contraire.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:26 am
Ha!

First time I ever tried to change a baby:

My grandfather died shortly his first great-grandchild was born (my cousin's daughter). My cousin (sans wife) brought his six-week old baby down for the funeral.

Well, obviously a funeral is a good reason to head across the border to Mexico ( Rolling Eyes ), so off we all went in grandma's motorhome. (This was at my grandmother's insistence; she needed to get her medicine.)

So, T and I are recently married. Both 25, no experience with newborns. We wander around a little while, then head back to the meet-up restaurant. My cousin's there, wants to shop a little, will we watch the baby?

Five minutes later, she starts bawling. We rock, we try to soothe, we're clueless. Finally we think... diaper? So T takes the baby to the bathroom to change her. Comes back out in a little while... do you know how to put on a disposable diaper?

Me: Er... no... let me take a look, I guess.

I take the baby into the men's room, start trying to figure out the little sticky tabs. Baby's still crying through this (and who can blame her). I poke my head out... can I have a different diaper? This one's all stuck together.

Nope. Cousin brought ONE diaper on a day trip to Mexico.

Grumble, grumble... OK, let me take another look.

Meanwhile, grandma arrives back at the restaurant, hears the baby, gets upset and comes rushing into the men's room to rescue the baby.

The folks in the restaurant must've thought T and I were the most clueless... parents... EVER!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:30 am
Laughing ONE diaper?

Even I know you need to bring 55 diapers with you anywhere you go. Laughing
0 Replies