Oh It's Started Already...

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:44 pm
One thing I'm sensitive to with this whole thing is that moms are forever being told what to do. We have this enormous pressure from, like, everywhere... don't do this, do that, yadda yadda.

So while I totally agree with a lot of specific points here, Bella wasn't really asking for this kind of input and I'm not sure it's fair to her to get into value judgments. A fully-licensed and tricked-out bedroom isn't going to make a dent if the kid gets the important stuff. And the bedroom decor is just not that important in the scheme of things.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:46 pm
Yellow is a safe colour for either sex and cheerful too! We decorated on the cheap -- primary colour milk crates for storage etc. Babies poop and spit up; it's gotta be washable and durable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:58 pm
She who never shuts up will just say that things to look at are important.

But they don't have to please Architectural digest, they just have to please the baby.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:58 pm
She who never shuts up will just say that things to look at are important.

But they don't have to please Architectural digest, they just have to please the baby.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:00 pm
Seems I can't edit, so, I'll apologize for the multiple post.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 12:21 am
I thought a changing table was a complete waste of time & money. I'd been told by countless moms not to bother with one.

When our son was a newborn, we changed him in the crib. Just let the side down closest to you, and voila! no bending over. Easy! We always kept a washable waterproof pad on the mattress anyway.

When he got too big for that, we moved the waterproof pad to the twin bed in the baby's room and changed him there. That was easy, too...we could sit down.

When he got big enough to roll off the bed, we moved the waterproof pad to the floor and sat on the floor to change him. We changed him on the floor until he gave up diapers.

We spent the money on a good chest of drawers instead. It has held his clothes for almost 13 years now. We'll probably have it forever. (Buy one that's well constructed.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 07:48 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Hey Bella, Here's an idea for you.

Consider getting generic furniture and either keep it as is or paint it the color you wish and then use Sesame themed wall stickers, decals and appliques to give the furniture that matching theme you want. That way you aren't overpaying for the furniture just because it has Sesame on it, and it gives you the option to easily change the decorating later on by just removing the decals and applying different ones, if wanted.

Ok maybe everyone just misunderstood my "themeing".

I intend to buy just plain ol' furniture. And decorate with Sesame Street....blankets, stuffed animals maybe a picture or two. I don't intend on going nuts, just want a coherence to the room.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 07:50 am
CalamityJane wrote:
One can do so much with color

http://www.dekoatelier.de/images_textkonzept/Erfurt_Babyzimmer.jpg

See, I LOVE that! That is what I mean by themeing.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 07:57 am
Eva wrote:
I thought a changing table was a complete waste of time & money. I'd been told by countless moms not to bother with one.

When our son was a newborn, we changed him in the crib. Just let the side down closest to you, and voila! no bending over. Easy! We always kept a washable waterproof pad on the mattress anyway.

When he got too big for that, we moved the waterproof pad to the twin bed in the baby's room and changed him there. That was easy, too...we could sit down.

When he got big enough to roll off the bed, we moved the waterproof pad to the floor and sat on the floor to change him. We changed him on the floor until he gave up diapers.

We spent the money on a good chest of drawers instead. It has held his clothes for almost 13 years now. We'll probably have it forever. (Buy one that's well constructed.)

Well, like I said our families are being more than generous when it comes to this baby...first grandbaby for both my parents and his parents. Maybe it's a little greedy but if someone is going to buy me a crib and a dresser and a changing table, I'm going to take it. If we don't get one, then we don't get one. Maybe we go buy one, maybe we don't. It all depends on our current money situation.

You all seem to think I am going to be throwing money into silly, superficial things instead of spending the money where it needs to be spent; on quality products that baby needs. Decorating comes second, that is without saying.

I am not going to get into my reasons for wanting it this way. They are my reasons and those reasons don't have to be justified to anyone (ps- thanks soz).

I was excited about starting this thread but it seems to have turned into a thread about the evils of excess and decorating a baby's room the way you want it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 08:05 am
changing? You're supposed to change something?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:03 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
changing? You're supposed to change something?

There's enough stuff that gets changed for you....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:18 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Well, like I said our families are being more than generous when it comes to this baby...first grandbaby for both my parents and his parents. Maybe it's a little greedy but if someone is going to buy me a crib and a dresser and a changing table, I'm going to take it. If we don't get one, then we don't get one. Maybe we go buy one, maybe we don't. It all depends on our current money situation.

You all seem to think I am going to be throwing money into silly, superficial things instead of spending the money where it needs to be spent; on quality products that baby needs. Decorating comes second, that is without saying.

I am not going to get into my reasons for wanting it this way. They are my reasons and those reasons don't have to be justified to anyone (ps- thanks soz).

I was excited about starting this thread but it seems to have turned into a thread about the evils of excess and decorating a baby's room the way you want it.

If someone else is buying furniture for you, that is great! I wish someone else had done that for us!

I'm sorry if you thought my comments were critical. I didn't mean it that way. And you certainly don't have to justify anything to me or anyone else. We're just excited for you, and passing on tips that might help. It's part of the Mommy Club rites. You'll see. A year from now, you'll be telling new moms stuff that you've learned. It's what we do.

Speaking strictly for myself, I spent money on a LOT of frivolous things for my baby. That was part of the fun, and I enjoyed every penny of it! And I'd do it the same way again if I had the choice. It's mindboggling, how much stuff is out there for babies, and how much stuff you'll accumulate in the first six months. I hope you have as much fun with it as you can afford!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:21 am
That's fer sure.

On changing tables, I think you can go either way. We were glad we had one, mostly because there was a stretch when sozlet was incorrigible when it came to staying at least a little bit still for having her diapers changed (and extremely wiggly baby + dirty diapers are not a nice combination) and the sanity-saver there was setting up a mobile over her changing table. She'd gaze at it, her nether regions would stay more or less still, and everyone was a lot happier. Also it was nice to have a place for all the accroutements to live -- wipes, (lots and lots of wipes), baby butt cream, etc.

Ooh, found a picture of the changing table/ bookshelf (this is with the changing table part on it):

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/Babysroom-1.jpg

This is what it looks like now (cropped from another picture, not great but gives you an idea):

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/kidsroombookcasecorner.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:34 am
Something to focus on (once their eyes can focus) is always good when you need baby to stay still.

Yes, rocking chair! Not necessarily one of those glider rockers that they sell at the baby stores. (Something comfy for mama while holding baby; take something baby sized and make sure you have a handy armrest.)

Something comfy for daddy is nice, too.... Laughing

I like a changing table, 'cause it's easier to change the pad if things get messy.

Are you planning on keeping the baby in bed? They have nice, hard-sided nests for when baby is tiny. Then long bolsters that strap to the side of the bed for when baby is bigger.

I think it is impossible to overestimate how tired you will be for the first month or so. Anything that makes it easier to get a little rest is worth it, IMO.

Here's a baby hint, take it or leave it as you wish: context is very important for babies. If you follow the same routine, as much as possible, everytime you put the baby to sleep then things will go much easier. Same room, same chair, same songs, same position, etc.

This won't be necessary at first, as newborns sleep a LOT. But as the baby's sleep pattern gets established.... (And you can start singing and reading to the baby now; songs, rhythms, etc. heard in the womb are very soothing to babies.)

Ready for me to shut up now? Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:42 am
Eva wrote:

I'm sorry if you thought my comments were critical. I didn't mean it that way. And you certainly don't have to justify anything to me or anyone else. We're just excited for you, and passing on tips that might help. It's part of the Mommy Club rites. You'll see. A year from now, you'll be telling new moms stuff that you've learned. It's what we do.

I didn't mean to sound like I was upset at you. I will always listen to the adivce. One thing I have learned is that advice is free but it doesn't mean you always have to take it. However, since you've all been there, done that, there might be something that I can learn from you. And that's why I keep coming back for more. Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:45 am
DrewDad wrote:

Ready for me to shut up now? Laughing

Absolutly not.

You all have raised what sound like wonderful, well adjusted kids. There has to be something for me to learn form you, right? :wink:

As for the rocking chair....my mil is insistant that I try to get a glider chair...someone did mention (was it on here?) that I should skip the rocker and just get a rocking recliner. Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:55 am
This is the crib I want.

Don't know what hubby thinks of it but I love it.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001UD18W.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

It's from Target. $250 (good grief)

Quote:
This cherry-finish 4-in-1 crib will provide a comfy, stylish bed for your little one throughout the years. The classic sleigh-bed design provides timeless style while the bed easily adjusts to accommodate your growing child. The crib features a lowered stationary side for easy access. For the toddler years, the mattress drops to an accessible height for little legs while adding safety bedrails. The system also converts for use as a day bed or a full-size headboard. Made of hardwood with metal components and plastic casters.

It also has a matching dresser (but it's $250) and a changing table (but that is $79) Shocked
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:01 am
Quote:

Don't let that stop you. I used to be called "Mrs. Decorating" and I still
like it and do it. Having the opportunity to decorate a nursery doesn't
come every day, so you just go to town - the sky is the limit in your
imagination. What you ultimately do, shouldn't matter to us. I think it
is nice that you want to share your ideas with us, and we can help with
giving our ideas.

So let's just go ahead.....
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:21 am
http://kikiweb.altervista.org/kiki.jpg
0 Replies