Pit bull kills 5-year-old girl.

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:30 pm
And now, in this corner, wearing blue with a red cape, Zoe the Zebra Killer! Wink

http://spockelvis.com/store/media/flytes/superdog.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:32 pm
^Laughing^

little dogs annoy the **** outta me.

I think, the only solution is that everyone should just be cat people Smile

how many cat bites have you heard of??
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:33 pm
Take a look at her. She's vicious. A real thug.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/khuren/thug.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Google searches.......

"Mauled by Spaniel" NO HITS.

"Mauled by Boxer". 3 HITS.

"Mauled by Greyhound" 2 HITS

"Mauled by Pitbull" 1130 HITS.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

shewolfnm wrote:
^Laughing^

little dogs annoy the **** outta me.

I think, the only solution is that everyone should just be cat people Smile

how many cat bites have you heard of??

Are you kidding? Cats are vicious evil creatures that tear the hell out of your legs and arms all the time.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:34 pm
Yes but did you try "mauled by a Yorkshire Terrier" ?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:36 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Yes but did you try "mauled by a Yorkshire Terrier" ?

NO HITS!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:37 pm
Bella's scared of pussies..
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:38 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Bella's scared of pussies..

I am...especially when they have teeth.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:40 pm
Watch out bella-

http://elvisknits.typepad.com/elvisknits/images/viciouskitty.gif

pussy's gonna get ya..
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:43 pm
I wondered how long it would be before Shewolf exposed her pussy....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:44 pm
Pbbbbbt, usually it's much sooner but she was out shopping.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:47 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Quote:
Mesa County Animal Control Director Penny McCarty provided figures that showed 230 dog bites in the first 10 months of 2005, the most current numbers she had available. Of those, small breeds, such as terriers, Pekingese and schnauzers, bit 53 people in the county.

Working dogs, such as border collies, bit 38 people, while pit bulls bit 28.

Could it be any more clear than that?
23% of the bites were from small breeds.
17% of the bites were from working breeds.
12% of the bites were from pit bulls.
48% unknown (it would be interesting to see what breeds the other half made up)

Bella - this is another case where statistics can make numbers say anything, depending on what we want them to say.

According to the above, we know that 12% of the dogs were PB's

23% were small breeds? Well, that could be 23 different small breeds each comprising 1%, all the way to 2 small breeds with one doing 22% and the other 1%.
Same with the working dogs, and the "unknowns".

In addition, some of the unknowns could also have been PB's.
Thirdly, how many of these "working and unknowns" Rottweilers or another breed with problems.

I agree. But the point is that people say half of all dog bits are caused by pit bulls....which is a bald faced lie. That stat there says that only 12% of all bites were pit bulls, making the rest of the bites by other breeds. Who cares what kind...the point is that pit bull bites aren't as common as they are made out to be.

ok, but look at the 48% unknown....

Some of those dogs were probably pitts and the person didn't know it, if it ran off.

My Aunt Tillie has no idea what a PB looks like, one could bite her and all she'd know was that it was a dog.

To me, PB's are pretty non-descript looking animals, if one walked up to me, I'm not sure if I'd be 100% correct in identifying one. Especially since it seems many are mixed with something else.

So, some of the unknowns were more than likely a purebreed PB.
Next, some of the unknowns were probably mongrels. How many of THESE dogs had PB as part of their makeup?
So, more of these unknowns had PB in them. When a bit occurs, was it because of the PB tempermant?

I have absolutley nothing to back this up, but it seems to me if someone has a mixed breed dog that is part PB, the other major part is NOT going to be something like a golden retriever or a bichon frise.

Interesting, I just cut and pasted the below from the AKA website. Seems Pit bulls are considered a Terrier, which says in part...

People familiar with this Group invariably comment on the distinctive terrier personality. These are feisty, energetic dogs whose sizes range from fairly small, as in the Norfolk, Cairn or West Highland White Terrier, to the grand Airedale Terrier. Terriers typically have little tolerance for other animals, including other dogs. . Many continue to project the attitude that they're always eager for a spirited argument. Most terriers have wiry coats that require special grooming known as stripping in order to maintain a characteristic appearance. In general, they make engaging pets, but require owners with the determination to match their dogs' lively characters.

Interesting, I just cut this from the AKA website. Pitt bulls are in the terrier class.

People familiar with this Group invariably comment on the distinctive terrier personality. These are feisty, energetic dogs whose sizes range from fairly small, as in the Norfolk, Cairn or West Highland White Terrier, to the grand Airedale Terrier. Terriers typically have little tolerance for other animals, including other dogs. Their ancestors were bred to hunt and kill vermin. Many continue to project the attitude that they're always eager for a spirited argument. Most terriers have wiry coats that require special grooming known as stripping in order to maintain a characteristic appearance. In general, they make engaging pets, but require owners with the determination to match their dogs' lively characters.

I've known my share of terriers, and they are fiesty. I know someone with 2 Jack Russel terriers, and I'm not 100% comfortable around them.

You know, I can understand where people have a loyalty to their breed of choice, or to their individual pet, but, c'mon, these dogs were breed to hunt and kill.

This reminds me of when children are out of control, like in a restaurant but if you were to speak to any parent, they would say "Not MY child"

It's always "someone elses' child, or "my breed just gets a bad rap"

Why is it acknowledged that some breeds, like a border collie, innately need more mental stimulation because of their intelligence and herding instinct, but it can't be aknowledged that their dog must be monitored closely because it was bred to chase down, bite and kill?

Yes, yes, yes...any dog can bite. But, after what degree of provocation?

A big old goofy lab can be tussled around, have his ears pulled by children and will sit there with a smile on its face.

Be honest, if you had a 2 year old, and they approached a dog, with it's owner right there, and the toddler wanted to gently pat the dog on the head, would you feel more comfortable if it was a collie, or a pit bull?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:50 pm
I had a German Shepherd I loved. I went to the shelter with my kids and found this beautiful, adult female pure-bred German shepherd who didn't jump on or scare my three year old daughter- was already house-trained, etc. etc.

I took her to the vet on the way home to get her her shots. When he reached out to pat my shoulder when he was saying hello to me, she almost took his hand off. I just looked at him - what did he think? He told me, "Don't worry - they're just a protective breed-she just doesn't know me- she'll be fine." My husband came home - she wouldn't let him in the house. My father came to visit - same scenario.

I kept her because she was great with me and the kids and I couldn't stand to take her back to the shelter, but before a strange (to her) male entered my house, I had to put her behind a closed door. I couldn't walk her because if someone saw me and reached out a hand to say hello-she'd go for them, and I couldn't hold her back - she weighed 100 pounds.
She also went for other dogs. She terrorized my neighbors dog to the point I had to pay for valium for the dog, because my neighbor said my dog had made hers afraid to go outside to pee.

She died a natural death, and she never did hurt anyone - but I had to take a lot of precautions. I wouldn't go for that breed again-despite the fact I agree-she was the smartest dog I ever had.

This little girl is dead, her grandmother had to be hospitalized because of the injuries she sustained trying to get this animal off her grandchild- and all because this guy liked this specific breed. I'm with LE-it's just not worth the risk. Even as adults, I think all of us have to admit that we'd rather face an angry or protective retriever or spaniel than a rottweiler, or some other such breed. There's a reason for that. And if that's the way we feel, we shouldn't have these dogs anywhere near kids.

Actually, I'd almost rather be bitten by a dog than a cat. Cat bites are more dangerous bacterially, although dog bites do more actual tissue damage.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:52 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

Some of those dogs were probably pitts and the person didn't know it, if it ran off.

My Aunt Tillie has no idea what a PB looks like, one could bite her and all she'd know was that it was a dog.

To me, PB's are pretty non-descript looking animals, if one walked up to me, I'm not sure if I'd be 100% correct in identifying one. Especially since it seems many are mixed with something else.

Be honest, if you had a 2 year old, and they approached a dog, with it's owner right there, and the toddler wanted to gently pat the dog on the head, would you feel more comfortable if it was a collie, or a pit bull?

First, I find it hard to believe that most people don't know what a pit bull looks like. Second, pit bulls are a mix of breeds so identifying one is based solely on appearance. How many of those 12% of pit bulls weren't really pit bulls after all? What defines a pit bull?
There is no Breed pit bull so banning them is impossible. You'd have to ban several different breeds and any cross of them.

In answer to your other question, I'd be afraid of both. I was bitten several times by a collie when I was little.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:53 pm
aidan wrote:
I had a German Shepherd I loved. I went to the shelter with my kids and found this beautiful, adult female pure-bred German shepherd who didn't jump on or scare my three year old daughter- was already house-trained, etc. etc.

She died a natural death, and she never did hurt anyone - but I had to take a lot of precautions. I wouldn't go for that breed again-despite the fact I agree-she was the smartest dog I ever had.

But aidan....the breed wasn't bad. You got her from a shelter. Who knows what she went through prior to you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:54 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

A big old goofy lab can be tussled around, have his ears pulled by children and will sit there with a smile on its face.

Except for that one who took the face off his owner while she was sleeping.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:39 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

I'm sure the fact she had cocaine, peanut butter, and bacon grease all over her face had nothing to do with that. Shocked
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:45 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

I'm sure the fact she had cocaine, peanut butter, and bacon grease all over her face had nothing to do with that. Shocked

My dog wouldn't eat my face because I had pb or bacon grease on it.

Perhaps if she was coked up.....who knows.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:55 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I wondered how long it would be before Shewolf exposed her pussy....

Dont worry. You will always be first to know, see and smell
0 Replies