Pit bull kills 5-year-old girl.

caribou

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:21 pm
"Maybe Hitler was right, and we should kill all the Jews."

This crap drives me crazy.
If anyone wants to actually educate themselves before forming an opinion, here's a great site. If you'd like more, just let me know.
http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo.html

"bite to kill"
"but when they bite they cannot let go "
ignorance is not always bliss.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:41 pm
caribou wrote:
"Maybe Hitler was right, and we should kill all the Jews."

This crap drives me crazy.
If anyone wants to actually educate themselves before forming an opinion, here's a great site. If you'd like more, just let me know.
http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo.html

"bite to kill"
"but when they bite they cannot let go "
ignorance is not always bliss.

Maybe the word "cannot" was wrong. It should have been "will not".

I and two other men once, about ten years ago, had to hold on tight to a large male English Bull Terrier who had clamped onto the neck of a Labrador Retriever.
The EBT's owner had been trying to get him off for quite a while, shouting, punching it on the nose and trying to prize its jaws apart. The dog just remained firmly clamped, and every time he had a chance, he would move his mouth slightly to improve his grip.

A woman came across to us as she had heard the screaming and shouting. She was a vetinarary nurse who was aged about 50, and had been working with animals for years.
She said that she'd seen this several times before, and the only thing that she'd seen work was when something was inserted into the dog's rectum. It causes the dog to take its mind off the job long enough to release the grip for a split second.
The owner of the EBT pushed a small stick up its arse (I'm serious) as we all held on, ready to pull the thing off the Retriever.
The EBT immediately released its grip and went to turn on the owner, wherupon we pulled it away and held it off the ground.
The stick was removed and after what seemed an eternity, the owner managed to somehow calm the bloody thing down and get a lead (leash) on it.
The retriever remained lying down on the floor and was panting hard, and the vet nurse recommended that its owner covered it with a jacket and just stroked it until it recovered.
The EBT and owner got out of the park pretty quick, and eventually the retriever got up and seemed OK.

Speaking to the retriever's owner, the two dogs knew each other well and had played together many times. The trouble started when the EBT owner had offered them a biscuit each, and had given the first one to the retriever. Simple as that.

Yes, once they clamp on.....they WILL not let go, unless THEY want to.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:42 pm
The Hitler thing is not really comparable. And nobody said kill all these dogs, just ban the ownership of them as pets. Don't be a fool Caribou.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:54 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Like I said....ALL dogs can be dangerous, and all dogs can bite.

I think I'd have more of a chance in removing a dachshund from my face though. Even a Labrador.

That wasn't suppose to be funny, I know but all I could envision was a weiner dog stuck to your face. Shocked Laughing

Weiner dog! Ha!

We just call them sausage dogs here. I'll have to look up exactly what a weiner is. I know the rude meaning, and can therefore only assume it is a sausage or frankfurter?

Yeah, we call 'em weiner dogs here. Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:55 pm
detano inipo wrote:

Ban all breeds that kill. There are plenty of other dogs one can buy.

Well, there goes the dog pet population since damn near every breed, if not all, have killed at one time or another.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:58 pm
What? Death by Chihuahua even???!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:00 pm
I agree that dogs who attack should be put down. But don't put it down before it's done anything wrong.

My boxer, who is the sweetest dog you will ever meet and is scared by plastic bags, growled and bared her teeth at someone the other day; scard the sh!t out of them. Should I put her down because she "might" attack?

People who get bit often are doing something they shouldn't be. Not all, mind you, because some dogs are just nuts. But many people approach dogs they don't know, smile at them (which is baring your teeth), put their body over the dog (showing dominance and agression).

If people knew more about how dogs function, I think there'd be less of these attacks from any breed.

And never ever let a small child alone with a dog, of any kind!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:06 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
What? Death by Chihuahua even???!!

Have you ever seen an angry Chihuahua?

Ok, so I don't know if a Chihuahua has ever killed anyone but I am sure they've done damage. And they could kill a small child.

Speaking of breeds that don't bite....remember this?

First Face Transplant

Yeah, her dog was a lab....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:06 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Quote:
Mesa County Animal Control Director Penny McCarty provided figures that showed 230 dog bites in the first 10 months of 2005, the most current numbers she had available. Of those, small breeds, such as terriers, Pekingese and schnauzers, bit 53 people in the county.

Working dogs, such as border collies, bit 38 people, while pit bulls bit 28.

Could it be any more clear than that?
23% of the bites were from small breeds.
17% of the bites were from working breeds.
12% of the bites were from pit bulls.
48% unknown (it would be interesting to see what breeds the other half made up)

Bella - this is another case where statistics can make numbers say anything, depending on what we want them to say.

According to the above, we know that 12% of the dogs were PB's

23% were small breeds? Well, that could be 23 different small breeds each comprising 1%, all the way to 2 small breeds with one doing 22% and the other 1%.
Same with the working dogs, and the "unknowns".

In addition, some of the unknowns could also have been PB's.
Thirdly, how many of these "working and unknowns" Rottweilers or another breed with problems.

I'll be right up front. I don't like Pitt Bulls and I don't like Rotties. The fact that it may be the breeders/owners fault doesn't help one bit when one of them is in the middle of mauling a person.

Both those breeds have aggressive tendancies, and it will take generations to breed that out of them.
For those that love the aura of danger about PB's and own them for that reason, well, they aren't the type of people I'd be spending much time with anyway.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:09 pm
I've been around several pit bulls, and every one was mean as a snake.

Give me a nice yellow lab any day.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:10 pm
The problem here lies with the breeders and owners. For thousands of years bulldogs were bred to fight, other dogs, wild animals, even humans. They were trained to fight on command and to use their bred in characteristics to their advantage. It will take a long time, if not forever, to get these fighting characteristics out of these breeds.

At the same time, consider sheepdogs, which I consider to be the smartest of all, especially the belgian and german shepherds. These dogs have been bred for thousands of years to bite the nads off of wolves, bears, and just about anything that threatens the flock. You can sit a german down next to a baby and he'll guard it like a puppy. If anyone comes near that he doesn't feel comfortable having around, you can bet that person is going to be in trouble. Big trouble. Of course, the dog may trample the baby he's trying to protect during the ensuing engagement, but that is another issue.

It all comes down to breeding and training. If a breed continually exhibits bad behaviour like "pit" bulls do, then it is time to reconsider the breed.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:11 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Quote:
Mesa County Animal Control Director Penny McCarty provided figures that showed 230 dog bites in the first 10 months of 2005, the most current numbers she had available. Of those, small breeds, such as terriers, Pekingese and schnauzers, bit 53 people in the county.

12% from pit bulls sounds pretty high to me. What percentage of dogs are pit bulls? Surely not one in ten.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:11 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Quote:

Bella - this is another case where statistics can make numbers say anything, depending on what we want them to say.

According to the above, we know that 12% of the dogs were PB's

23% were small breeds? Well, that could be 23 different small breeds each comprising 1%, all the way to 2 small breeds with one doing 22% and the other 1%.
Same with the working dogs, and the "unknowns".

In addition, some of the unknowns could also have been PB's.
Thirdly, how many of these "working and unknowns" Rottweilers or another breed with problems.

I agree. But the point is that people say half of all dog bits are caused by pit bulls....which is a bald faced lie. That stat there says that only 12% of all bites were pit bulls, making the rest of the bites by other breeds. Who cares what kind...the point is that pit bull bites aren't as common as they are made out to be.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:12 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Quote:

12% from pit bulls sounds pretty high to me. What percentage of dogs are pit bulls? Surely not one in ten.

There are at least 3 seperate pure bred breeds that are classified "pit bull" not to mention all the crosses that include pit bull.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:16 pm
If anyone's interested, this has all been argued at length at a2k before -
HERE
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:19 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
That stat there says that only 12% of all bites were pit bulls, making the rest of the bites by other breeds. Who cares what kind...the point is that pit bull bites aren't as common as they are made out to be.

No, I reckon the point is that when a pitbull bites, you will invarioubly suffer MUCH greater injury than a simple dog bite (which is bad enough).

You will also have a much harder job getting it to release it's grip, so your head can see daylight again.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:21 pm
Both these dogs are considered "Pit Bulls".

American Stafforshire Bull Terrier

Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Please note this particular part.
Quote:
Temperament
From the past history of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the modern dog draws its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, and children in particular, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes it a foremost all-purpose dog.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:24 pm
And this on boxers under tempermant.

Quote:
Character and Temperament
These are of paramount importance in the Boxer. Instinctively a hearing guard dog, his bearing is alert, dignified, and self-assured. In the show ring his behavior should exhibit constrained animation. With family and friends, his temperament is fundamentally playful, yet patient and stoical with children. Deliberate and wary with strangers, he will exhibit curiosity, but, most importantly, fearless courage if threatened. However, he responds promptly to friendly overtures honestly rendered. His intelligence, loyal affection, and tractability to discipline make him a highly desirable companion. Any evidence of shyness, or lack of dignity or alertness, should be severely penalized.

If I were someone looking to ban a breed, regarding temperment, I'd choose the boxer. Fearless courage sounds worse to me than "trustworthy stability".
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:24 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

Please note this particular part.
Quote:
Temperament
From the past history of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the modern dog draws its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, and children in particular, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes it a foremost all-purpose dog.

All sounds lovely, until someone flips an unknown switch. I bet if you talked to the pitbull owner (the subject of this thread) a week ago, he would have staked his life on the fact that his dog would never attack a child.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:26 pm
I'd stake on my life that my dog would never attack. Doesn't make it so.

Dogs are still animals, no matter what you call them or how domesticated you make them. ALL dogs run the risk of turning on you.

I just think people have labeled all these dogs unfairly. Have there been many fighting dogs that were rotties or pit bulls? Yeah. But who's fault is that? The dogs didn't go out looking for the fight. It's owner did. I could make Zoe so mean she'd rip someone's leg off too.
0 Replies