Son's girlfriend pregnant... obligations?

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 01:29 pm
Clary

A very interesting read. I'm pleased that there is a (relatively) simple outcome for you and your son.

I have been counselling a very good friend on a similar issue very recently - his 6 week old relationship resulted in a pregnacy due to slightly careless condom use and he's really not happy that she appears to want to keep the baby.

I have been over with him many of the arguments which other posters have raised and do not wish to make this a place to post my views. In any case, he knew her better than your son knows the woman in his case but not enough to feel ready to commit to her.

Please note that this is not a "my friend" story which means me, I'm pleased to say, but I have the deepest sympathy with Clary and her family in dealing with this difficult and uncertain situation.

KP
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 02:36 pm
The trouble with Recreational Sex is that it uses the same game board as Baby Making.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 09:59 am
Thanks, KP for your input - hope that it resolves itself for your friend. Perhaps he's a bit older than my son, and so is the woman, and if she is, she may decide that a sperm donor is better than nothing. But it doesn't half change a relationship! Son and g/f seem to be on friendly terms still but he has muttered things like 'going to chop it off!' so I'm hoping he has learnt his lesson!

Very well put, Noddy. It is as apposite as something I once heard from a gynaecologist 'God made the mistake of putting the playground between the two sewers'!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:43 am
....for love has pitched his mansion
In a place of excrement.
Nothing shall be sole or whole
That has not first been rent.

--W.B. Yeats
0 Replies

vikasradhakrishnan

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:17 am
if he has got the girl pregnant....dont u think he should take up the responsibility...face her and talk about it and together they decide what has to be done next...one can never run away from reality....how long can one hide....take the bull by the horns...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 01:16 pm
vikasradhakrishnan wrote:
if he has got the girl pregnant....dont u think he should take up the responsibility...face her and talk about it and together they decide what has to be done next...one can never run away from reality....how long can one hide....take the bull by the horns...

Apparantly you didn't bother to read any of this thread.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:27 pm
And difficult to be face-to-face 5000 miles away!
Now his only stress is getting essays in on time...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 02:11 pm
I've read this story of motherhood all in one go. Your family's been under-the-gun with this. I'll repeat, my <ahem> ejaculations for your amusement, Clary.

What?
-----!! Oh no.
God.
Goodness!
Really?
Whew.

Sad though... this would surely be a lovely child of the rarified and the wild & wooly.

I agree with whoever said, "A miracle should be happy" and "No one is Pro-abortion."

What are you doing this weekend? I hope something fun. At least, here's one less worry off your mind and plenty to ponder into the new year.

She may turn out to be nicer than it seems. He thought she was for a while, right? Awkward though... foolish... etc. Puts one off Americans a little, don't it? Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 04:15 pm
Hehe - she's good fun, bright, well read - but needy and scatty too. Luckily it doesn't put me off the whole of America - too many of you to dismiss easily! Anyway, Bush and Co already did a REALLY good job of that.

Having a really huge party in London to celebrate you-know-what this Sunday!! You?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 06:33 pm
Sounds lovely, Clary... take pictures please and send them to me. Do you have a special outfit picked out? Is this "black tie?" Is this at your son's restaurant?

My celebrations will not be so fancy but they continue for a week. There's a luncheon and then a dinner party at friends' houses on Saturday. Sunday we meet our 23-year-old in Seattle for a Japanese meal in a tatami room, followed by shopping, a show and a ferry ride home. That's assuming nobody gets the nasty cold that is going around.

I have a two-day break to bake cookies & wrap presents and enjoy the company of my daughter, then we'll have the Mother Night fete on Wednesday that I'd mentioned before. (This is where my friends & sisters celebrate my becoming a real crone at 56.) My daughter leaves for a couple of days to work and Mr. P & I will host a cocktail party for twenty or so that night, Thursday, for strays who can't come to our house on Christmas Eve. Two more days of R&R, then the open house which runs from 3 'til midnight. Such a whirl, it makes me feel like Mrs. Fezziwig!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:46 am
Clary wrote:
Thanks, KP for your input - hope that it resolves itself for your friend. Perhaps he's a bit older than my son, and so is the woman, and if she is, she may decide that a sperm donor is better than nothing. But it doesn't half change a relationship! Son and g/f seem to be on friendly terms still but he has muttered things like 'going to chop it off!' so I'm hoping he has learnt his lesson!

My friend was spared further difficulty as nature took its course in the form of a miscarriage, therefore neither of them had to face what they feared most.

She is 36 and therefore took much the view that you suspected, unsurprisingly.

Like your son, my friend is noticing distintly reduced libido...

...and I've been keeping an eye on my girlfriend's pills to make sure that she hasn't forgotten one! Lovely idea...when the time is right!

KP
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:19 am
Early on my husband and I established the rule that it was my job to remember to take a pill but it was his job to remind me. That was good insurance and helped balance the responsibility if somehow a pill was forgotten regardless. ("You forgot your pill?!" "You forgot to remind me!")
0 Replies