Son's girlfriend pregnant... obligations?

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 12:53 pm
Could well be first day. When I looked it up it said "date of last period" and didn't specify which (first day of last period, last day of last period). Now that you say that though, I think you're right.

OK, yep:

Quote:
After pregnancy is confirmed, the doctor asks the woman when her last menstrual period was. Pregnancies are conventionally dated in weeks, starting from the first day of the last menstrual period.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec22/ch257/ch257b.html
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 05:27 pm
would this case qualify for the " maury povich " show ?
and perhaps later on for "judge judy" ?
(not that i EVER !!! watch those shows Shocked ).
hbg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 08:27 pm
watching with ????
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:26 am
Well, she decided to go with her head, and took the terminator pill. Probably good in the long run but my heart does go out to her, however wayward she is.

Turns out she hadn't told any of her friends so had to go through it more or less alone, which can't be good. But still probably coming over this weekend.

I have seen the huge difference between men and women on this though. All the men in the picture - brothers, friends - can't see what's wrong with abortion, it would be the equivalent of, say, getting rid of a tattoo. Women are much more ambivalent.

Thanks for allowing me to air that. The story may not be over, but at least this dramatic chapter is.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:57 am
Very tough decision.

Joe(very)Nation
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 05:36 am
Oh clary, yes, that decision had to be tough for her.

However, for all parties involved, I feel this was the right decision.

Mostly, I'm relieved for both your son, and you.

Needless to say, he's learned so much from this.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 05:39 am
Probably for the best, indeed. Expect that decision to leave a black mark on both your son and this girl's heart, that there is no cure for. I'm speaking from personal experience, not some misguided sermonizing ideology. I remember feeling either outcome would be both a relief and a bummer (we were definitely not cut out for each other). For the record; I am Pro-Choice, but believe that no one is Pro-Abortion. It is a difficult, though sometimes correct, decision that inevitably leaves lasting scars. I wish them both Godspeed in finding a way to put it behind them.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 05:47 am
You are absolutely right, O Bill, I feel saddened by that knowledge. However the rationalist part of me sees an overcrowded planet where even wanted children have a hard time of growing up. I don't believe in a personal god, but I am a humanist, and as such wish the best for all mankind, not just my corner of it. Let's hope they both learn and also forgive others' mistakes a little more than previously!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 05:56 am
I'm not religious either, but my limited vocabulary contains no more (or even equally) appropriate word. :wink:
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 06:00 am
As I once said in my signature, if you spell it Good, I can believe more readily!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:26 am
O'Bill wrote:
For the record; I am Pro-Choice, but believe that no one is Pro-Abortion.

Very well-stated. I agree.

Oof, what an ordeal for everyone. Hope she's OK at the end of it all. (And your son, too.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:46 am
Credit goes to Dennis Miller...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:55 pm
Sympathies all around--including the family and friends of the mother-not-to-be who will seem wrought up without reason.

Is the romance finished?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 05:26 am
Thank you, OB, for introducing me to the humour of Dennis Miller whose name meant nothing to me before.

Noddy, it's too early to say, but he has considerably softened on the romance front now the imminent danger has past. She has cancelled her flight but is still intending to come, I think, in January, which she had arranged a while ago. She wants prayers - he sent her good positive vebes - I say that's prayers in different language.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 05:59 am
Clary wrote:
Thank you, OB, for introducing me to the humour of Dennis Miller whose name meant nothing to me before.
He's hit and miss... but when he's on I think he's among the funniest politically aware comedians in the business. Usually makes a lot of sense, even when he's joking.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 06:36 am
sozobe wrote:
Could well be first day. When I looked it up it said "date of last period" and didn't specify which (first day of last period, last day of last period). Now that you say that though, I think you're right.

OK, yep:

Quote:
After pregnancy is confirmed, the doctor asks the woman when her last menstrual period was. Pregnancies are conventionally dated in weeks, starting from the first day of the last menstrual period.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec22/ch257/ch257b.html

First day.

It's also based on a 28 day cycle, which we all know few women actually have consistantly.

That's why pregnancies appear to last 10 months (40 weeks), but actually only last 9 1/2 minus the 2 weeks prior to conception). Does that make sense?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 06:46 am
sozobe wrote:
Can paternity be confirmed before there is a baby? I don't think so, makes things a lot thornier.

I'm sure it can. For that, you take a few cells from the placenta, whose cells have the same genome as the embryo's. It's still a surgical encroachment into the mother's body, and I don't necessarily think it's worth it, yet it can be done.

But I'm not sure if that's important for the conversation Clary's son will have with his (ex-) girlfriend. If I were him, my message to her would be something like this: "If it's my child, it has my support, just as morality and the law demand it. You may or may not have my support, depending on a lot of things. If this is not my child, on the other hand, neither of you has my support." I don't see how pre-natal diagnostics are strictly necessary to communicate this or to go through with it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 12:42 pm
Already done Thomas,
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2418665#2418665
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 12:48 pm

Thanks, Bill.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 01:25 pm
Actually was never really the issue - scatty and needy she was, but not, I think, promiscuous.

Interesting that they date it from the last day of the period. That's why my last child was way out - I was still breast-feeding and hadn't had a period so they just guessed.

Anyway, all's well that ends.
0 Replies