Dear Diary

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:49 pm
Wow! Change...change...change It's a killer, isn't it...and from what I read, you aren't sure you really want to do the work.

How long were you in your last permanent situation...the one where you felt comfortable?

I don't envy you...by the way, it gets more complicated as you grow older...or had you figured that out?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:35 am
Ah, mapleleaf - the situation where I felt comfortable? Let me see... I started the last 50% job a couple of weeks ago, started to work in R&D on June 12, worked in the local HR department for one year and two months before that, 2.5 years for the international HR Vice President - this is all in the same company! I really like the work I did for the HR VP. But that guy was a terrible boss!

After talking with my patent boss a couple of times I am pretty confident that this will work out well. And yes - it gets more complicated... Confused

The good news - I got my car last night and it looks brand new. They did a very, very good job! I am very proud that my nephew works at such a good place and does a real good job.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:45 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:29 pm
I had to dig out the old diary just to get a couple of things off my chest. It always worked to do this here...

The last time I was here I wrote about my job. And it turned out quite nicely. It is interesting and challenging and sometimes unnerving. My bosses are great, interesting people who care for the people who work with them. So much for the good news...

We started out as a 'pool' of assistants - me working full time, two ladies working part time - one in the morning and one in the afternoon. At the beginning of May, the morning lady had to go to hospital which was a complete surprise for us. She had surgery. Her husband said she didn't want any visitors and no phone calls. We called the husband from time to time but never really knew how she was doing. She was never the type to tell you much about herself. After nine weeks in the hospital she died. We were not close. We worked together or side by side for a year. I hardly knew anything about her and sometimes I wished she wouldn't be sitting there with all her moods and strange behaviour, not liking me being there and telling me so. But this - no, this was not right. She would have turned 50 next year.

One of my bosses has been battling lung cancer for two years now. He is a very strong person, very impressive and strang at the same time. I like him very much. He is a good boss even though he is strange - well, he's a researcher - they are strange, I guess. He is back in the hospital now and I am afraid we will have to say goodbye to him. I wish so much that he will win this battle but I have such a bad feeling...

My female boss was pregnant and lost her baby a couple of weeks ago.

This is all getting too much for me sometimes. And I don't always want to be strong and supportive.

So, there it is. I wrote it down and feel better. And I'll click on 'Submit' quickly before I change my mind and delete everything.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 12:25 pm
Just dropping by to say hi
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 01:27 pm
Hey there, husker! It's good to see you here again! How have you been?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 02:35 pm
Eva wrote:
Hey there, husker! It's good to see you here again! How have you been?

I'm doing pretty good I guess - kinda boring though - just doin life one day at a time - but losing the job on 09/28 so looking hard for another Cool
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:47 am
Oh, here you are...DEAR DIARY (hello Husk).

If you haven't heard, Mapleleaf is recovering from open-heart surgery. Interesting gig. A blessing (possible curse) of my life has been my interest in what's happening around me...even surgery! I'm sure the nurses enjoy my questions.

I am in my 4th week of recovery...now at home...still in PJs...been outside the house two times.

My wife is my caregiver...we work well together, but I push to get friends/family to relieve her.

For those of you with elephant memories, this is my 4th straight January with health problems: poisoned kidneys, fall off of fence, 21/2 month flu/virus, and now, open-heart surgery...Next year, we are using a 11 month calendar.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 11:00 am
Hello diary and Mapleleaf!

Good to see you here, Mapleleaf. I hope things are getting better for you soon. And no January 2009 for you!

I started the year with a hospital stay, too. My very first time at a hospital. It was pretty exciting although now I can't remember some things. It seems my mind didn't work too well for a while after the surgery. I was in the hospital for one week and this is the fifth week I am home now. I will go back to work next Monday. It feels like I'll have to learn everything. Of course, I'll probably not remember my password to start my computer...

Oh well, I'll worry about that next week. Now I am enjoying my time at home with Stefan, the cats and lots of books!

Take good care, Mapleleaf!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:22 pm
Mapleleaf wrote:
For those of you with elephant memories, this is my 4th straight January with health problems: poisoned kidneys, fall off of fence, 21/2 month flu/virus, and now, open-heart surgery...Next year, we are using a 11 month calendar.

Excellent idea, Mapleleaf! :wink:

.... & in the meantime, all the very best for a speedy recovery!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:18 pm
Goodness, some nice folks are still around. I just visited one of nimh's newer threads...many new names!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:20 pm
Mapleleaf!

Only yesterday I was wondering what had happened to you.

I was wondering if you were unwell....and here you are:shock:

Get better soon!

We appreciate your contributions around here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:53 pm
Urs, how is that boss of yours....

and wishing you a pleasant rest of your time off.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:45 am
osso, unfortunately, my bossed passed away last August. We still miss him. He was the head of our research department and a very brilliant - and strange - man. So all in all, 2007 was not an easy year for me. It was pretty good timing to be home for a couple of weeks now at the beginning of 2008.

I enjoy having time for me. A lot of people are asking whether I had cabin fever yet. NO! I could stay home for a couple more weeks. Well, I'll see how it works out in the office next week.
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:39 pm
Dear Diary,

Am I bipolar? Some days I grit my teeth and vow to find another job. All my office folks are jerks and I am under-appreciated. Other days I just love ,love, love what I do. Also, why go somewhere and have to learn a job all over again?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:11 am
my first post from eastern ontario .
have had more snow this winter than we've had in a long time - somewhat reminds of the 1960-1970's .
took some pix yesterday and will post here .
had a about a total snowfall of three feet so far with about 1 1/2 feet still on the ground - glad i hired a fellow with a snowblower to dig out our driveway .
the sun is shining quite nicely and it's only a few degrees below freezing - so it's not bad at all .
had our morning swim and a good breakfast . mrs h has to go for physio later and i'll do some shopping after i drop her off .
for valentine's day we booked a short (7 day cruise) cruise for late may .
will be sailing from montreal to boston . since we are sailing on our weddding anniversary date , it'll be a nice celebration - we enjoy cruising :wink: .
be checking in again later .
hbg
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 03:53 pm
still around
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:11 pm
hey, husker, good to see you. Are are you?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:13 pm
Repeat that, JB.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:14 pm
doing ok, not much new
0 Replies