THIS PLACE SUCKS ! ! !

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:21 am
- It's rough, unfinished software.
- The voting system simply does not curate well enough it needs tons of help.
- The ignore system is not enough for most people it too needs tons of help.
- The flood of topics often swells and the banks overflow with niche topics (signal/noise problem).

And that's just the top few problems. But I think I know how to fix it. It will be a long time coming (we haven't had the time and resources to touch a2k at all in years, and it will be a few months before that can begin to change) but this is the first announcement that this status quo will change.

I know there are many who do not like changes (and even a subset of those who both do not like change nor like the status quo, about whom the absolutism "you can't please everybody" relies on for its accuracy) but a2k will forever try to improve and a2k happens to have plenty of room for improvement.

These woods are lovely, dark and deep. But we have promises to keep, and miles to go before we sleep.

In the coming months we will begin to socialize the direction of the changes with the community. Expect some vocal opposition, some sackcloth and ashes, and even some pitchforks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 12,032 • Replies: 70

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:24 am
@Robert Gentel,
can I go directly to sobbing?

kidding.

I look forward to seeing what the next rounds of changes bring us.

(I think I've liked (eventually) all the changes other than the loss of the photo galleries and I don't think you did that on purpose)
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
BTW, for those who haven't tried it, the "filter noise" feature is really nice right now for the decryptonite (sp?) flood, which I only noticed when logged out.

Many of the changes we will implement are along those lines, better filtering for a better experience.
JPB

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
I haven't used it in a long time but I noticed previously that the noise filter was too sensitive in that it blocked out things I wanted to see including one of my own threads (harrumph!)
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:30 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
(I think I've liked (eventually) all the changes other than the loss of the photo galleries and I don't think you did that on purpose)

I didn't, the software was hacked repeatedly and we just never had time to replace it. But I still have it and hope to replace it we custom photo code one day and perhaps even restore all the previous photos.

I do not know if photos will make the next rewrite (the sociological and cultural problems are much more important to tackle as are the infrastructure problems), but it's always been part of the plan.
fresco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:31 am
@Robert Gentel,
Please give the option of blocking decryptonite !!!!!!!!
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:35 am
@JPB,
I don't think that is possible (but it's been years since I looked at that code and can be wrong) unless you voted the topic down. Anything you vote up should never be filtered for you.

The filtering is certainly not perfect (it's an admittedly crude algorithm) but I don't believe it will allow for that situation. I suspect you might have run into something related to read tracking and the sorting of unread first.

For users without much activity (or certain use patterns) it certainly can be too strong, but it gets better (it is largely based on what forums the topic you tend to vote down or up come from) over time.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:35 am
@fresco,
To avoid repeating myself:

http://able2know.org/topic/195102-1#post-5063507
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:39 am
I'm not trying to increase your burden here, but i went to my profile and didn't see anything about "filter/noise." I'd like to use the option, if you would just tell me where to find it.
JPB

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:40 am
@Robert Gentel,
Possibly. It was in the first couple weeks of the new format. Did one's own thread always include a personal thumbs up? Anyway... I haven't had an issue with scrolling past or voting down the few threads that I know I'll never want to see until today's decryptonite invasion.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:41 am
um...

Filter noise......wah?

How?

Where?

Joe(thankyouplease)Nation
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:41 am
@Setanta,
Set - go to New Posts. It's a toggle at the top of the thread listings.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:42 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Anyway... I haven't had an issue with scrolling past or voting down the few threads that I know I'll never want to see until today's decryptonite invasion.

This is exactly my situation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:43 am
@JPB,
Thanks. Now i'm curious as to how it decides what is noise, but i'll leave the boy alone.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:05 am
@Setanta,
Each forum (or tag, if you will) has an "add forum" or "remove forum" at the top right in a green link, that is how you can manually override what happens automatically.

What happens automatically, is that each time you vote on a topic, that data is aggregated to the topic tags/forums, so each user has a running score of what forums they tend to like and what they tend to dislike.

For new users and some use patterns there is not much data for the automatic part and not enough forums added at the beginning (which is an easy change we will make in the rewrite, making a default data set to start with) but you can basically go to each forum and pick what you want/don't want included in your filters. The forums you add, and topics you vote up are included, the forums you remove (or that are auto removed based on vote history) are the ones excluded.

There might also be a popularity bust-through figured in to the algorithm, so that it only filters low scoring topics but it's been years since we wrote that and I don't recall the exact details right now.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:11 am
@Robert Gentel,
Cool, thanks for the information. That was a big "Doh!" moment for me, not to have seen that up at the top of the page, but then we tend to assume that we are seeing what we've always seen. Thanks for all your efforts.

And yes, this place really does suck!
Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:14 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

And yes, this place really does suck!

And yet you (and 100s of others) come here every day for years and do multiple posts. Logic would say that it must not suck so badly.

That being said, the recent Dekryptonite flood was highly annoying until I just learned how to filter it out.
JPB

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:15 am
@Ragman,
I think you missed Set's tongue being firmly planted in his cheek.
Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:16 am
@JPB,
dooooh!~

apologies
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:23 am
@Robert Gentel,
=awesome. Thanks!
0 Replies