My blog is up, criticisms more than welcome.

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 09:37 am
Hi all,
I posted earlier this summer stating that I was going to start a blog in which I could start posting classical concert reviews, for enjoyment, for general CV boosting purposes, and just in case one day I might get a job doing this for a paper/magazine.

I've never learned how to write anything properly- I dropped English at GCSE- so through my degree is largely been a case of trial and error in what works and what does not.

Thomas has already very kindly offered me some useful advice in relation to the blog, so useful in fact that instead of being shy about it I thought I'd post it on here in case anyone has any spare time and would like to tell me where they think I should improve with my writing/blog formatting: critique me to death if you wish!

http://dancesaboutarchitecture.blogspot.com/

I know some of the posts are a bit lengthy, there's some shorter ones on the way.
Thank you! pq x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,280 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 09:55 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I'll revisit the blog throughout the week as I have 3 days off from work.

My first impression is this seems more of a homework exercise then a passion project. It reads too practical.

Quote:
The aim of this blog (an ongoing project) is to provide a range of examples of my 'words about music' which differ widely in length, format and content. The selection includes self-motivated concert and CD reviews (there shall be more shorter reviews on the way), programme notes written for Goldsmiths Sinfonia, a few essays, and some scripts from the radio show I wrote and presented with a colleague from November 2009-March 2010, More than Mozart.

If you want to attract a following ~ an audience that shares the love of classical music ~ there has to be some kind of spark in the writing. I know that you might have a difficult time with the language but technically there isn't anything glaringly wrong with the grammar.

It's missing a certain je ne sais quoi. My question to you is why classical music? Is it out of love for the genre that you have chosen to blog about this highly undervalued and almost quaint genre of music?

In your opening statement, if you want to avoid sounding like a bored college freshman doing a large project in a class he doesn't want to take then I'd suggest you try to convince your audience to see why classical music deserves to be saved or something along those lines. Passion should be equal to academic comprehension of the subject at hand. That's the key to great blogs.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 10:08 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I'll revisit the blog throughout the week as I have 3 days off from work.

My first impression is this seems more of a homework exercise then a passion project. It reads too practical.

Quote:
The aim of this blog (an ongoing project) is to provide a range of examples of my 'words about music' which differ widely in length, format and content. The selection includes self-motivated concert and CD reviews (there shall be more shorter reviews on the way), programme notes written for Goldsmiths Sinfonia, a few essays, and some scripts from the radio show I wrote and presented with a colleague from November 2009-March 2010, More than Mozart.

If you want to attract a following ~ an audience that shares the love of classical music ~ there has to be some kind of spark in the writing. I know that you might have a difficult time with the language but technically there isn't anything glaringly wrong with the grammar.

It's missing a certain je ne sais quoi. My question to you is why classical music? Is it out of love for the genre that you have chosen to blog about this highly undervalued and almost quaint genre of music?

In your opening statement, if you want to avoid sounding like a bored college freshman doing a large project in a class he doesn't want to take then I'd suggest you try to convince your audience to see why classical music deserves to be saved or something along those lines. Passion should be equal to academic comprehension of the subject at hand. That's the key to great blogs.

Thank you, noted. I'll have a think.
0 Replies