Age difference in relationship

safecracker

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 12:24 am
ive known my wife since I was 8 lol it's all good, you may have loved but it wasn't true love I just don't think you know what true love is like most ppl dont you may have loved each other but IMO if it was true love you could work through anything. sorry I don't know the story of why you split up so please don't be offended.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 12:44 am
I beg your pardon?

Good luck and love to you, Safecracker.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 01:15 am
It's just how I see it on this side of the fence, I am not trying to be offensive at all. Good Luck and love to you as well.
0 Replies

step314

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 09:59 am
Quote:
This question is not about lust and sex, it's about caring, loving and making love. It's about relationships

I again would say that if sexual love has not been very strong in a female, so strong as to be the strongest love that she has felt for a man, that's a bad sign, a sign that maybe she shouldn't have sex with that particular guy. Similarly, sexual pleasure is something a female should appreciate also--nothing wrong with a female loving herself in the sexual sphere as she should in other spheres. In the real land of flesh and blood, sex matters--realistically reproduction is what underlies courtship. Perhaps, Montana, you have entered nana-nana land and need to return to the land of flesh and blood, where love felt by a female is mostly sexual and where moral principles roam as big and loud as elephants. Indeed, it is morally suspect and not particularly caring to "care" for a female without committing to her. Caring to that particular female, perhaps, but not to the guy's future wife. Caring from males is sort of like sex from females, it gets diluted if spread too broadly. Your gain is another female's loss. Caring love if real from a male is not something likely to be had for a plurality of females. Not that oftentimes people don't do immoral things just from confusion, but still, caring from a male without commitment is morally suspect, basically for the same reason prostitution is suspect.

It's kind of weird, though. The simplest hypothesis is that the guy you mention carried you to nana-nana land. However, there's a general calmness and complacency about your posts, as though intellectually you are quite convinced nana-nana land is the place to be. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is excess aversion to the fears that the lust can create. I would argue, though, that those fears are there to protect you from the real dangers that exist in the carnal world. It's as though at some point you were terrified of your lusts, but now you surely don't seem to have as much recollection of the attractions of such lusts as intellectual fear of the fears caused by them. Young females are the ones who in fact experience these fears most strongly, so that would suggest that in fact you did have real love when you were young. And then someone tried to make you terrified of the understandable fears you possessed. One possibility is that the purpose of this was to make you ignore the fears, but that doesn't strike me as being plausible inasmuch as you don't seem screwed up (screwed-up females tend to value sex too much, rather the opposite of what your statements suggest). It's like for some reason someone was trying to steer you away from love, and because you naturally loved sex much (a good thing in a female), the only way he could do it was to make you intellectually terrified of the sort of fears that young love can create. I posit, therefore, the existence of another male you were really in love with when you were young, whom the male you mentioned tried to steer you away from.

Of course, all of this is rather wild speculation since I know scarcely anything about you, but then since you dared to agree with someone who says I have never loved anybody, perhaps that's what you want. At any rate, my advice (based on little evidence) would be to value your sexual desires more (perhaps your very distant past sexual desires if you are old).
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 11:57 am
I sit here and laugh because it seems your trying to explain something that is different for everyone. I did not say you have not been in love I said you sound like you have never been in love. Please if you want to be so sientific about things see the small differences in my writing as they are not so small Smile. Nobody has ever explained love as a whole, it is a person to person totally different matter.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:52 pm
Step
We were in love and it wasn't complicated. He didn't make me do anything and we just went with the flow. Love is love and none of what you said makes any sense at all to me. I wasn't afraid of anything either.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 08:15 pm
Hell, Montana ... that's a pretty common-place deal ... wouldn't make much of a novel; no real spice or controversy, no danger or coercion, just more-or-less mind-your-own business freinds and lovers. 'Course, I understand there's plenty of folks who just can't accept the concept, grant the circumstances, or understand it not being a big deal for eiither party. Attitudes are tricky things, and everybody's gottem.
0 Replies

Tabernacle

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 11:01 pm
I think of course it has to do with the individuals. The law just provides a safebreak for the times when age gap is bad for the minor who might not know whats going on. For those who are mature and capable they can ignore it but just keep it on the side not out in the open. for instance this man was sexually assaulting me where i work (I'm 16) it was one of the worst things to ever happen to me! So the police came and that was good. In that instance the laws benefit me. Then theres this guy at work who I want whos like late twenties or so and I can handle it then but not when I havent consented and stuff.... I know that is more like rape laws but still.
0 Replies

darkaliche

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 09:21 pm
I'm concerned...
Hello, I got to this forum looking for answers about the legal age difference in relationships... I've tried to look all over the internet trying to find some kind of guideline or something about age difference or whatever...
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 11:26 pm
I'm a terrible example for people who moralize about relationships. . . I met my current (long time, actually, by now) flame on the internet, on a forum much like this one. . . he's German, and I'm American, he's five years older than I am, and we met when I was still a minor. . . but oh well :-)

When you're young, age differences matter. . . an age difference like 5 years matters when you're 17, but by the time you're 30, no one cares. . . so I'd say that, at least in my experience, it's better to stop caring. You could always just tell people whoever it is is just awfully youthful. . . (I'm sure that's what my boyfriend tells people about me, anyway :-))
0 Replies

darkaliche

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 12:14 am
I found something really interesting... the guidelines I was looking for:

http://www.ageofconsent.com/
0 Replies

the one

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 09:35 am
Don't know if you people want another story on the subject, but anyway, here it is.. I don't know what to do at all, so I'm thankful for any comments that you might have.

I'm a 24-year old boy who happened to fall deeply in love with a 15-year old girl. She will turn 16 in less than a month (16 is the age of consent here in our country). We spent a lot of time together until her parents found out about it. We have agreed not to have sex until she is 16. I have told her repeatedly that nothing will happen in our relationship until she is ready for it, and she knows that I will never push her into anything, be it sexual activity or anything else. I know that I love her more than any girl I've ever met, and I also know that she loves me very much, and that she really wants to be with me. She's usually the one who pushes the relationship further.

She initially told her mother that I was 16 years old, but I convinced her to tell her mother the truth. I did that because I wanted to be honest and cooperative from day 1, hoping that it would help make her parents give me a chance. This was about 3 weeks ago, and I haven't seen her since. We are now not allowed to have any contact at all.

A conversation with her parents revealed that they are afraid that she will miss out on her "youth". By that, they mean that their daughter shouldn't hang out with people in their mid-20s. She is better off hanging out with her friends around her own age, they say. They are totally convinced that she will lose her friends just because she hangs with me, which I think is a totally crazy thing to say, at least when they're too stubborn to give it a chance. I've told both the girl and her parents that I will do whatever I can to make her keep in touch with her old friends, and that our relationship will never have any impact on her education or her friends, and hopefully not their family.

But they will listen to nothing I say. Until she is 18, I am not allowed to even call her, or talk to her on the Internet. Should I just try to forget about her (which I know will destroy both of us emotionally), or does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make her parents understand?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:00 am
the_one- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I have a question for you. What possible interest would a 24 year old man have for a 15 year old girl? She is still basically a kid, with littke life experience. I think that you need to think about why you are attracted to her.

If she were 20, and you were 29, it would be a different story. I applaud her mother. I think that she is wise forbidding her to see you. If, when she is 18, and you still want to pursue the relationship, do so, but right now, for both your sakes, stay away.

You write:
[quote]
I'm a 24-year old boy [/quote]

I think that your perception of yourself is part of the problem. A 24 year old is a MAN. If you don't perceive yourself as a man, you need to learn why.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:01 am
I'm a 27 year old boy.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:03 am
I was going to hit on that very thing, Phoenix. He's a man, not a boy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:05 am
Slappy- I wouldn't advertise that, if I were you! Laughing
0 Replies

the one

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:15 am
phoenix: while I thank you for your quick answer, I feel that I should inform you that a debate on whether I should use the word "boy" or the word "man" was not what I was looking for.

I have given a lot of thought to why I am attracted to her. Considering the fact that many of my friends are in very good relationships (even though their age differences are the same, and in some cases even larger), I think it's a bit narrow-minded to claim that I should stay away.

Maybe my perception of myself is a problem. Or maybe it's not. Maybe the problem is just that: myself. I don't consider myself a grown man. Physically I am, but emotionally I am NOT ready for a relationship with a girl (or woman, if you insist) at my own age, because that would automatically include a house, a car and a bunch of kids. I haven't reached that stage in my life yet.

"For both your sakes, stay away", you say. With no other reason than "she is basically a kid". Could you please elaborate a little more?

I don't mean to be rude, even though my words may seem a little harsh here. I just feel very misunderstood...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:20 am
the_one wrote:
Physically I am, but emotionally I am NOT ready for a relationship with a girl (or woman, if you insist) at my own age, because that would automatically include a house, a car and a bunch of kids. I haven't reached that stage in my life yet.

Where do you live? I allow for the possibility that you live in a country where this is true, but it is patently untrue in America. (Having a relationship with a 24-year-old woman does NOT automatically include a house, a car, and a bunch of kids. At all.)

Your answer is disturbing in that your girlfriend's immaturity seems to itself be part of what attracts you, rather than say her wisdom beyond her years or the fact that you made some sort of personal connection.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:20 am
Quote:
"For both your sakes, stay away",

Well, let's be a bit practical. If her folks became too unhappy about the relationship, there are legal measures that they could take to both you and HER.

Quote:

I don't consider myself a grown man

THAT is what you need to deal with. Going out with children will not fix your problem.
0 Replies

the one

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:29 am
sozobe: I live in Norway, not America. And, I never said my girl friend's "immaturity" had anything to do with this. If you think I fall in love with a girl without there being a VERY strong "some sort of personal connection", then you must not know very much about love at all.

Phoenix: As far as I know, they will have a big problem taking any legal measures, as long as the girl actually wants to see me, and as long as I haven't been to bed with her, or forced her into anything.
But let's put the law aside for a moment; because what I really wanted to know was, how do you think it could harm her (or me) to hang out together? You must have a pretty good reason for that, since you're obviously very sure that I should stay away, for both our sakes.
And, whether you like it or not, I am just as grown as I want to be, I do not consider my girl friend a child (neither would you, if you ever met her without knowing her age), and I know that going out with someone I love, definitely will fix very many of my problems. Thank you very much for your concern.
0 Replies