The Sopranos

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 02:22 pm
Carmela finally got conformation of Tony's daliances and could no longer rationalize or be in denial. Yes, one of Tony's mistresses called her.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 11:30 am
Another sleepwalk. Sleepier than Episode 1, for sure.

This is starting to remind me of Carnivale, which took nearly its entire 13-episode season to finally make a point.

I remain confident the show is going to break some new ground (as it always has) but they are apparently going to take their sweet time doing so.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:48 pm
Ain't it grand?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 02:09 am
I like that they take their time. IMO, the attraction of this show is not only the big events. It's also in the details. The small things that ring true and are revealing.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 08:10 am
Same here. That's what I loved about "Carnivale".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:16 pm
The HBO series are more like novels for television. They do take their time to reveal all the nuances of the characters and their interaction. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

The second episode introduced the Steve Buscemi character who immediately got into trouble with Tony by making a fat joke!

It was a clever cliff-hanger with Adrianna almost confesing in front of the woman.

They're setting things up and the suspense only works when one watches each episode in sequence and concentrates on the dialogue and action. It's still the best written show on TV. Not that I would follow most of their witty advice!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:37 pm
I'm intrigued by the dames and their little group therapy/ film club. And Adrianna's near confession. Wonder what this will lead to??
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:45 pm
Well, except for Tony taking the equipment. And the joker wants to settle it all without an attorney. When it comes to putting together investments for the family and other things that actually make any sense, Carmilla is rational and concerned. Even though we sit in on Tony's sessions with Dr. Malfi, I don't know exactly what's going on in that little bean.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 10:18 pm
Carmella has a right to be concerned. They made a point about most of Tony's assets being in cash. Re: the women. Do you think they could take matters into their own hands if they find out about Adrianna? That would be different!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:27 am
You might have uncovered a storyline there.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 12:26 pm
There have been a lot of little things dropped that can lead to who knows what?

A few that come to mind:

--The referance to Opus Dei (Did you catch that, Light?.)
--Adrianna getting the female FBI agent to confide in her
--The Malfi situation
--Tony and Carmellas finances
--Steve Buscemi's family situation (what's with the Goth. daughter?)
--Buscemi's great massages and comment about doing whatever to get by in prison! hmm!
--What happened to the bear. I thought Adrianna might run into him while she was smoking outside.
--And the usual stuff with the men.
--I can see doom approaching. How will it end!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:30 pm
All I know is things are going to heat up and we're all being primed for it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 01:46 am
I have a feeling that the family will be going to the mattresses before the season is over. The last line of last night's show actually brought a tear to my eye.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:41 pm
I'm really getting to like Bobby more than any other character in the series.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:14 am
I agree, Frank.

That last line was quite revealing, Roberta, and a bit ironic.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:21 am
Now that episode was the kind of Sopranos I have come to know and love.

It had a little of everything: lots of violence, some humor, power struggles, offers of group sex, it had Junior in dementia, it had Tony getting enraged and trying to strangle Janice (yes!), it had the mob boss of New Jersey asking his uncle if he loved him (I didn't feel sorry for him), and it had some of the funniest lines ever (and what's funnier than Paulie beating up the lawn man and stealing an $80 lawn mower?).

Feech La Manna is a psycho freak. Won't be long before someone makes blood run out of his head in a hurry.

Corrado is still my favorite.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:24 am
No wonder Feech was the one sent away -- he's more out of control than Tony! The tug-of-war in protecting the landscapers was bitterly funny and reminded me of scenes from The Three Stooges.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:31 am
Did you notice Tony gave 1000.00 to the lawncare guy in the meeting and Paulie gave him 500.00?

Did you also notice that Tony immediately followed his roommate offer with an "I've got a linen scam" thing?

I predict lots of murders. Chris' wife has GOT to go.

I think Feech may end up the last one standing though. He's old school.

As an aside, I'd like to do Melfi myself. :wink:
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:15 pm
Feech got played, all the way back to the Big House. (He should be happy he still has his ass.)

Lawrence Taylor and David Lee Roth in separate Card Games. That was a nice touch.

And Anthony Jr.'s party got a little out of control. (Just like him.)

Anybody think Carmela is gonna get some soon?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:57 am
I assumed that a "truckload" of plasma TV's is just as cheap or cheaper than paying for a hit. I don't know if Jersey has a three strikes law but perhaps Feech is up the river for good.

The card game scenes were classic Sopranos -- the ensemble acting is superior to a majority of theatrical releases but they do have more of an opportunity to involve one with the characters.

Anthony's new eyebrows made me laugh.

Carmela was trying to let the professor know just who Tony is but will he ignore it?
0 Replies