dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 07:18 pm
according to ammenesty international Saudi Arabia has 100 per year what does Texas have?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 07:34 pm
again according to Amnesty International Texas 2001 66 executed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 07:47 pm
Is America really that bad? Well, we're trying our best to make it that way. c.i.

The New York Times, 10 June 2003

EDITORIAL

Diverting the War on Terrorism

The recent dust-up over Republican attempts to gerrymander the Texas Congressional map had an overlay of old-fashioned political silliness and skulduggery. What is coming to be known as the Tom DeLay Power Perpetuation Act failed famously when more than 50 statehouse Democrats fled to Oklahoma, where they hid out until the bill died, depriving the Republican majority of a quorum. But it turns out that officials in Washington and Austin, desperate to round up the Democrats, made a platoon of Keystone Kops out of federal and state law enforcement agents. That is no laughing
matter.

The new Department of Homeland Security was called in on the case as if it were the patronage police and the dissenting Democrats were terrorists. Mr. DeLay's office breathlessly passed along detailed intelligence on the fugitives. More than 1,000 hours were devoted to the two-day search by 54 Texas officers. At least one F.B.I. agent appears to have been involved in the search.

The fact that federal agencies were involved in the partisan squabble is outrageous. Investigators usually assigned to track down terrorists or drug smugglers were sent off to try to find a small plane that had ferried one of the missing Democrats out of Texas. Documents relating to the search were later destroyed -- in theory because the search did not involve a crime. Democrats are well within their rights to demand state and federal inquiries.

The original Republican plan to draw new Congressional districts in
outrageously contorted forms in order to capture current Democratic seats was, at the very minimum, political dirty pool. But the idea that Republican honchos felt that they had the right to bring federal security forces into the case pushes the issue to a whole different level, one that smacks of a sense of entitlement and disrespect for normal legal boundaries.

This page was a consistent critic of the Clintons' ethics problems, but the former president's defenders should feel free to point out what kind of national outcry we would be hearing from talk show hosts and Congressional Republicans if anyone had tried to misuse the government's antiterrorism machinery this way during the last administration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/10/opinion/10TUE2.html
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:19 pm
Wa-a-itaminit!......Back up there....Texas has 2/3 as many legal murders as Saudi Arabia?...that's only a STATE. Shocked How many does this wonderful country of ours have?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:22 pm
Wow! How many of those were for the following reasons?

Quote:
death penalty can be imposed for murder, rape, apostasy, armed robbery, drug trafficking and repeated drug use.

Why, I'll bet everyone of those executed in Texas were convicted murderers who had a fair trial and were executed under the US Law. I will even go out on a limb and say that NOT ONE was executed for taking drugs!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:26 pm
Personally I'd rather be burned at the stake...A hot stake is always better than a cold chop, ya know?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:28 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Personally I'd rather be burned at the stake...A hot stake is always better than a cold chop, ya know?
Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:31 pm
And how many were executed for any crime in say G.B. or France or Germany or perhaps Spain? The US ranks right up there with China, Saudi Arabia, Iran and other noted members of civilization Really makes a fella proud. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

hmmmm, a bet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Oh fer chrissake, everybody's a comedian tonight . . . i've never laughed aloud this often at the computer . . .
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:35 pm
Laughing
Go to your room BPB...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:39 pm
but all in all we cant complain Saudi Arabia mostly executes arabs and Texas mostly executes black americans. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:42 pm
oy!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:43 pm
That's just 'cause Tejas can't find enough Ay-rabs to railroad . . .
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:56 pm
Anyone know how many people have been burned at the stake in the U.S., versus Saudi Arabia?

Judging people can be fun and informative too ... I should buy myself a gavel, to pound anytime I read the news!

(yoink!)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:00 pm
<thud>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:02 pm
It's all in the propaganda, you know. The Protestants have indelibly warped history with their propaganda against the Inquisition, but prisoners in Spain would attempt to get convicted of blasphemy to get out of royal prisons, and into the more humane prisons run by the Church. Over a four hundred fifty year period, the Inquisition executed about 3,000 people. The Terror in France lasted a little over a year, and accounted for 5000 deaths. The executions in Iran after the revolution sometimes saw 150 deaths in a day, it last for years, and likely no one will know how many died. But the Protestants, who painted the false image of the Inquisition, burned or drowned more than 60,000 men and women, mostly old women, for witchcraft in the less than 150 years from the reformation through the end of the thirty years war--although the figure is suspect. It's probably too low, because a lot of the burnings, drownings and hangings went unrecorded in the madness in Central Europe.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:23 pm
Those numbers are so puny when compared to how many are getting killed in the Congo today. c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:29 pm
mark
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 02:46 am
dyslexia wrote:
but all in all we cant complain Saudi Arabia mostly executes arabs and Texas mostly executes black americans. Twisted Evil

Yeah, I guess if you're white, you don't have to complain..... Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies