Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 02:55 pm
Justice, Saudi Style

Quote:
Saudi Arabia's leading executioner says he is "very proud to do God's work" and does not lose sleep over beheading several people in one day.

In a rare interview, Muhammad Saad al-Beshi, 42, told the Saudi daily Arab News that he had executed numerous women, as well as men.

"Despite the fact that I hate violence against women, when it comes to God's will, I have to carry it out."

He expressed indifference about the number of beheadings he was required to carry out.

"It doesn't matter to me: two, four, 10 - as long as I'm doing God's will, it doesn't matter how many people I execute".

Under the Gulf kingdom's strict Islamic Sharia laws, the death penalty can be imposed for murder, rape, apostasy, armed robbery, drug trafficking and repeated drug use.

The Saudi authorities report public executions regularly - and are condemned by Western human rights groups.

Choice of death

Mr Beshi said he sometimes shot dead women convicted under Sharia.

"It depends what they ask me to use. Sometimes they ask me to use a sword and sometimes a gun. But most of the time I use the sword," he said.

His job at a prison in Taif, where he had to handcuff and blindfold prisoners facing death, gave him a taste for executions, he told Arab News.

Back in 1998, when he carried out his first execution in Jeddah, he was nervous, because many people were watching. But now he no longer suffers from "stage fright," he explained.

"The criminal was tied and blindfolded. With one stroke of the sword I severed his head. It rolled metres away," he said, recalling his first beheading.

"There are many people who faint when they witness an execution. I don't know why they come and watch if they don't have the stomach for it," he said.

"No one is afraid of me. I have a lot of relatives, and many friends at the mosque, and I live a normal life like everyone else. There are no drawbacks for my social life."

Treasured sword

He is a contented father of seven.

Beshi trains the next generation of executioners (photo: Arab News)

Mr Beshi said his sword was a gift from the government.

He keeps it razor sharp and sometimes his children help him clean it.

"People are amazed how fast it can separate the head from the body," he said.

Before an execution he visits the victim's family to seek forgiveness for the criminal, which can lead to the criminal's life being spared.

"I always have that hope, until the very last minute, and I pray to God to give the criminal a new lease of life."

Once an execution goes ahead, his only conversation with the prisoner is to tell him or her to recite the "Shahada" - an affirmation of Muslim faith.

"When they get to the execution square, their strength drains away. Then I read the execution order, and at a signal I cut the prisoner's head off," he said.

Training

As an experienced executioner, Mr Beshi now trains others for the grim task. He is proud that his son was taken on as an executioner.

Training focuses on how to hold the sword and where to bring the blade down.

Sometimes he also has to carry out amputations of hands or legs.

"I use a special sharp knife, not a sword. When I cut off a hand I cut it from the joint. If it is a leg the authorities specify where it is to be taken off, so I follow that."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,911 • Replies: 241
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 02:58 pm
Takes all kinds.

Boy, the various gods sure do ask for strange things.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:05 pm
and in the state of Utah they have a choice, firing squad or hanging.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

The chemical industry is far worse.

At least with a sword and public proclamation, the Saudi's are open, honest, and have the integrity of their beliefs.
0 Replies

GreenEyes

I think he's confusing the voices in his head with God.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:16 pm
I take it one is to assume that everything is just hunky-dory in the New Nighted States because we do not have beheading as an execution option. Leaving aside the point that executions are performed in the U.S. as well (and i feel safe in asserting that the bare fact of execution outweighs the manner in the mind of the victim), i would point out that the implied argument is specious--because someone else is ostensibly worse off than me is no reason for me to accept what i perceive as injustice or venality in high places in my own homeland.
0 Replies

Munch

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:41 pm
He's not saying that the executions are bad, he's saying the manner they're carried out, and the reason the executions are executed (kinda pun, eh?) is horrible. I agree.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:43 pm
so would you prefer hanging or firing squad?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:55 pm
Jeeez!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:19 pm
Between hanging, firing squad, electrocution, or sword
I would definitely pick the swift and spectacular sword.

The point isn't to kill the person, but to set a good example.

----------
let the good times roll / let them make you a clown
let them leave you up in the air / let them brush your rock and roll hair
let the good times roll
-- Classic philosophy from Ric Ocasek, The Cars (1978)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:26 pm
If I got the title right, we are comparing the good ol' USA with Saudi Arabia.

Well, no, America isn't REALLY that bad.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:28 pm
We're just faking it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:33 pm
After your chilling statement about "setting a good example" (no, CB--bad, very bad . . . ), i was relieved to read your last post, which make me laugh aloud.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:37 pm
No, McGentrix, we are not really that bad but we MUST make people think that we are otherwise, why would they change leadership?

And we MUST change the leadership.......

We MUST I tell 'ya!!!

(Or at least that is what so many continue to tell me...........)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:52 pm
The US may not be quite that bad yet, but it's parked right next to it. I lived there for 30 years and I know first hand how bad it really is. All births are now reported to child services, parents are forced to drug their children with Ritalin and similar drugs or they are accused of medical neglect and risk losing their children to the system. Counsellors and psychiatrist are pushed on children so the system can spy on the parents. Child services is given big time government $$$ for every child they remove from a home. See, lots of people don't even know what's going on over there these days because they either don't have children or their children are already grown and they haven't experienced what it's like to be a parent today in the good old USA. Families are being torn apart because of evil greed. They throw religion out of the schools and throw the kids a banana and a condom to make sure they know how to use it. Of course they make sure they line them up at the nurses office for their afternoon Ritalin to be sure they all sit still and pay attention. Those condoms can be awfully tricky you know ;-)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:54 pm
Ah, the gentle strains of the specious rant, wafted to us on the breeze . . .
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:57 pm
Montana -- I used to think this picture was funny,
until I really thought about it.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/TillmannMichael/werbebaby.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:57 pm
Sorry, I couldn't help myself ;-)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:58 pm
No problem, Boss, we all have our days . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 05:00 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
Montana -- I used to think this picture was funny,
until I really thought about it.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/TillmannMichael/werbebaby.jpg

Exactly. I wish more people took the time out to truly think about things.
0 Replies