Tartarin

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 10:30 am
UNREFLECTIVE. I'd say that about sums it up, Blatham. Unreflective and proud of it. Went in this morning to pick up yesterday's mail and it contains, once again, a catalogue for the Liberty Fund (conservative) press. Just shot them an email requesting that they take me off their list. However, the LF press is dedicated to publishing, in fine editions, some classics of writing about American freedom and independence in which I believe, with a strong emphasis on INDEPENDENCE. When I'm reflective, honesty makes me admit that Dems hardly less than Republicans have been responsible for our unreflective, lyin' and cheatin' country (not, not just government, country). I write lyin' and cheatin' that way, country/western style, in spite of the fact that it's usually used about mah-man-gone-wrong and is the little song the other liars and cheaters chant about Clinton. I certainly don't hold up Clinton as a standard bearer for lyin' and cheatin'. On the contrary, I think the right wing uses lies the way we used nouns and verbs. But I don't exclude the left from the great dumbing-down. J'accuse... even some of my favorite, most like-minded friends in this discussion seem to slam the brakes on thought when it gets inconvenient, which indicates that the Dems have much to answer for too. When it comes to imprisoned reflection in the US, I'd say the system and the warden belong to the Republican party while many of the jailers and most of the trusties are Dems.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 10:39 am
Now THAT's a good post. Even handed, and honest.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 10:47 am
I live for your approval, McG.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 10:51 am
Tartarin wrote:
I live for your approval, McG.

Really?! Shocked

You sure do have an way of showing it! :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 12:32 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Montana wrote:
McGentrix
It sure does take you a long time to digest!

I am having a hard time finding any corrabative evidence other than the MassNews (A slightly opinionated place I must say) website. It appears to be a very localized phenomenom as I still haven't found info on it from another source. While I am saddened that it happened to you, or to anyone, to say that you had to flee America to escape it seems somewhat over stated. You should have done like other Americans do and hired Johnny Cochran.

That's exactly the response I expected from you! Nothing more, nothing less. I gave you links to the mass news because it is the only paper in the US I read these days, since other papers don't seem to feel that peoples civil rights are important. I've been following the Massnews since the paper first started out and the reason is because the paper was started and is run by civil rights lawyers who got tired of watching people lose their rights and seeing that not one paper would print the stories. You may think they are opinionated and I'm sure you didn't like what you saw there, but I didn't expect you too because people like you can't handle the true. If you couldn't find the proof to my points in the links I gave you, then you didn't read them and this will be the last post I waste on you. The truth may hurt, but it doesn't make it any less true!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 12:42 pm
Montana -- Could you remind me what the original story was?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 12:56 pm
Montana wrote:
The US may not be quite that bad yet, but it's parked right next to it. I lived there for 30 years and I know first hand how bad it really is. All births are now reported to child services, parents are forced to drug their children with Ritalin and similar drugs or they are accused of medical neglect and risk losing their children to the system. Counsellors and psychiatrist are pushed on children so the system can spy on the parents. Child services is given big time government $$$ for every child they remove from a home. See, lots of people don't even know what's going on over there these days because they either don't have children or their children are already grown and they haven't experienced what it's like to be a parent today in the good old USA. Families are being torn apart because of evil greed. They throw religion out of the schools and throw the kids a banana and a condom to make sure they know how to use it. Of course they make sure they line them up at the nurses office for their afternoon Ritalin to be sure they all sit still and pay attention. Those condoms can be awfully tricky you know ;-)

This is where it all started on page 2 of this thread.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 12:58 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Montana, outburst or not, that's the biggest pile of horseshit I have read on this entire forum. I am hoping that you were not seriously believing that as, well, I don't know. I just hope you didn't actually mean it.

As for those of you that were advocating the execution of people under Sharia law, well, you are also just plain silly. ( I use silly as not to offend the mentally handicapped)

I didn't actually expect some of the responses that were posted...I was surprised by some of the notions floating around your heads. If you honestly can say that living in Saudia Arabia would be better than living in the US, then, please use your current freedom to move. Don't let the door hit you in the ass!

This was McGentrix reply to my post.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:01 pm
And the story continues from there. I gave him links to back up what I was saying, but he's in serious state of denial.
Looks like we can't help the poor soul, tisk, tisk!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:36 pm
Thanks, Montana. Thought I'd caught up on the whole thread, but hadn't! Agree about Ritalin (and it doesn't stop there) but disagree about religion in public schools -- particularly as both home schooling and access to religious schools are readily available. (But that gets into the voucher discussion and is why I'm a lefty in favor of vouchers.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:59 pm
I was already challenged on the religion part and I agree with you. I just threw the relgion in as an example and I wish I hadn't because that's not even an issue with me. I always believed that religion should be taught at home along with sex, etc...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 02:09 pm
Home, of course, ain't what it used to be!!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 02:39 pm
Okay, I'm a bit tardy here, but tararin's 11:30 post reminded me of a speech Malcolm X made about 40 years ago. It featured this line. "There's not a dime's worth of difference, between the Democrats, and the Republicans."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 02:48 pm
an excerpt from Langston Hughes;
"O, let America be America again--
The land that never has been yet--
And yet must be--the land where every man is free.
The land that's mine--the poor man's, Indian's, Negro's, ME--
Who made America,
Whose sweat and blood, whose faith and pain,
Whose hand at the foundry, whose plow in the rain,
Must bring back our mighty dream again."
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 04:30 pm
"The land that never has been yet-- " And that's the key.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:17 pm
Montana wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Montana wrote:
McGentrix
It sure does take you a long time to digest!

I am having a hard time finding any corrabative evidence other than the MassNews (A slightly opinionated place I must say) website. It appears to be a very localized phenomenom as I still haven't found info on it from another source. While I am saddened that it happened to you, or to anyone, to say that you had to flee America to escape it seems somewhat over stated. You should have done like other Americans do and hired Johnny Cochran.

That's exactly the response I expected from you! Nothing more, nothing less. I gave you links to the mass news because it is the only paper in the US I read these days, since other papers don't seem to feel that peoples civil rights are important. I've been following the Massnews since the paper first started out and the reason is because the paper was started and is run by civil rights lawyers who got tired of watching people lose their rights and seeing that not one paper would print the stories. You may think they are opinionated and I'm sure you didn't like what you saw there, but I didn't expect you too because people like you can't handle the true. If you couldn't find the proof to my points in the links I gave you, then you didn't read them and this will be the last post I waste on you. The truth may hurt, but it doesn't make it any less true!

If that was the answer you expected, why press me for an answer? It is depressing to me to think you find MassNews to be the only "true" newspaper you can read. Maybe there is a reason that reason "not one paper would print the stories".

Like I said before, It's not that I doubt you believe this, but you over stated the facts.

Better children through chemistry?

Quote:
"People ask, 'Where does the Ritalin controversy come from?' In the scientific community there is no controversy," says Dr. Russell Barkley, director of psychology and professor of psychiatry and neurology at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. Ritalin is the drug of choice for ADD, he says, and a physician who does not consider prescribing it for a child with the disorder could be accused of malpractice.

"I think the press has tilted a bit toward emphasizing possible overprescribing of Ritalin, which is a legitimate concern, and not given enough attention to the benefits of Ritalin when given to properly diagnosed patients," says Dr. Jack M. Gorman, professor of psychiatry and vice chair for research at Columbia's College of Physicians & Surgeons. The subject is simply not treated fairly, even in major magazines, says Barkley. It is his experience that news stories about ADD and the use of Ritalin and other drugs contain shreds of scientific data presented in the worst light, with outrageous headlines or a tabloid spin.

On the other hand, to those who believe ADD is overdiagnosed, ill-defined, or nonexistent -- or who regard the use of pediatric psychopharmaceuticals as an attempt to produce "better children through chemistry" -- the coverage may be more accurate. Several articles in the lay press note that the percentage of ADD diagnosis and Ritalin use varies greatly within the United States, not only from state to state but town to town and is much higher in the United States than anywhere else in the world. Part of the problem is that no hard-and-fast tests exist for ADD or other psychological problems such as depression.

This is typical of what I found.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:32 pm
"There's not a dime's worth of difference, between the Democrats, and the Republicans."

I believe that was said by George Wallace.

Joe
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:32 pm
I pressed you for an answer because I wanted to hear what you had to say. The MassNews is the only paper that I'm interested in reading because as hard as it is to read sometimes, I want to read about the truth and nothing but the truth. People's civil rights are being violated daily and you don't see those stories in other papers.
If you want to live your life in denial that's fine by me. It's your life and if you want to live it in a blind state, who am I to try and cure your blindness.

Happy trails ;-)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 12:31 pm
Joe Nation, Embarrassed Embarrassed
...I can't argue with you. I may have gotten mixed-up because, Malcolm said, "A democrat, ain't nothing but a Dixiecrat"...(er...I'm almost sure.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:01 pm
Just a few comments on sole sourcing news.

There is no doubt that bad things happen to good people even here in the USA, witness the release today of the Tulia prisoners, but having said that I would hesitate to rely on a single source for news, especially on subjects such as violations of civil rights. I would question the validity of any story that wasn't picked up by at least one other news source, even if it was only to re-print the original piece. (There are always exceptions, a story may be completely localized but that would be very rare indeed for a civil rights story.) competent news reporters are required to verify facts from different sources, so should news readers.

I do know several people who only listen to one newstalk radio station for their news, and I know a couple of people who only watch FOX, or only watch CBS or only watch CNN, I think such behavior limits, rather than expands, a person's point of view. A friend of mine, who apparently only reads the New York Times, was shocked the other day when he saw me with a New York Daily News, but as I have explained before here, I read it to know what my enemies are thinking and saying.

Sorry for the digression.
Joe
0 Replies