NO justice for gay pride?

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:21 am
sweetcomplication

Quote:
I AM a Jew, am concerned when Jews show any lack of empathy, considering what we have been through for 2000 years or so,

Empathy for who and what?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:36 am
dlowen;

I know, I know; but I unfortunately give higher value to being under one's own rules, than "selling" one's self to the status quo for monetary benefit; but I will concede it is easier to comment on such ideas than to willingly put one's legal status in jeapardy!

Just an aside; my idea of a relationship is to wake up in the morning, roll over, look at your partner beside you, and declare silently to one's self "I wish to spend another day with this human, whom I love!"; and be honest enough if ever this though is not forthcoming, to reassess.
This is not marriage!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:42 am
No - but, when push comes to shove, it is hard, for instance, to see a loved one denied the presence of their long time friends and lover - as has happened to a sadly large number of gay men, for instance, when illness has overcome their strength to resist the wishes of homophobic "next of kin" on their deathbeds.

'Tis a complex thing, I acknowledge.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:52 am
I'm sure it is different in other jurisdictions, but the use of living wills etc. has pretty much ensured that loving partners, married or not, can be together at the end - and that estates go where they should. Insurance policies, as a matter of law in this province, include the words 'same sex spouse' to ensure there is no discrimination in the area of death benefit administration.

One of the biggest issues that I've heard discussed by my gay and lesbian friends is that of children. Legal marriage will make it easier to be sure that the non-biological parent can assume custody on the death of the biological parent. Or in the case of adoption, both parents will have legal status. Right now, two unmarried, but partnered, women adopting cannot both adopt the same child. My understanding is that this will change.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:54 am
steissd wrote:
Sweetcomplication, if you are concerned with legality of my living in Israel, then I must inform you everything is quite OK. I have a mixed ethnic origin with my mother being a Jewish woman. I have not been formally baptized, therefore I immigrated in full compliance with the Returning Law. I pay taxes, serve in the IDF reserves and abide law, and I consider myself a better citizen than the 150 percent Jewish ultra-Orthodoxes that abstain from the Army service and permanently milk state budget of Israel.

Please rest assured that I am not at all concerned about legality; I just get embarrassed when someone I thought identified as a Jew posts what I consider to be messages that are not empathetic (all due deference to Sofia, with whom I respectfully disagree).
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:56 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Sweetcomplication

Thank you for that nice comment.

Empathy is, in my opinion, the most valuable emotion.

Frank, I couldn't agree with you more! Luv ya!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:52 pm
dlowen; you are quite right of course; but then, I would also be willing to do away with the institution of "family" in many circumstances!

"Family" must be used for the benefit of its members, or it is an abomination of worthless ties.
0 Replies